Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb butchery and other offenses

Posted by rgebczynski none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 18:02

It's Christmas time soon and slowly you can find the deals for Amaryllis bulbs - which you can grow at home and show of to everyone at the most wonderful time of the year. At least for us, not for the poor plants.

We already saw how they butchered the basal plates, made holes in the bulbs and much much more, but this almost gave me a heart attack and is just... it's just so wrong!

They sell bulbs covered in whole in wax....

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis Bulb in wax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb butchery and other offenses

I saw these several years ago. Sadly, they are really making this bulb self destruct...
K

o

I saw those and thought it was perfect for my sister. Whenever i give her one she never pots it but gets her mother in law to do it. And then she never waters it and she turns her heating real high so any plant she gets soon dessicates. This one might last a bit longer with the wax sealing on it!

I think it was a nice way to add value and festivity to a common bulb. Bit expensive though.

o

You can't water it because the bulb is basically waxed tight with no access to air. The Basal plate was chopped of and the whole bulb was putted into wax. With no actual way to check if it's health or still alive when bought.

To get this bulb out of the wax seal i'm guessing a long surgery would be needed - and some extensive damage might be done to the actual bulb.

The shops didn't design this bulb to survive after Christmas.

o

I know. lol

Most people do not keep them alive anyway after flowering anyway. As such it isn't that big a deal. They are just novelty bouquets for most people.

o

Wow. Those poor bulbs. They really have no intention of allowing those bulbs to survive beyond Christmas.

o

Here are the ones I saw. Look at their other products...

K

Here is a link that might be useful: Waxz bulbs

o

Kind of everything in me just twists seeing this...

o

I think they are awesome and i intend to get one if i ever find a cheap one. I especially want the pokeball one. I was looking at them last xmas but they are just too pricy for a planter that essentially kills your bulb. I'd probably use it and not put water in it.

Not worried about their bulbs not living as they don't have a single decent variety. All their research and all they managed was a red ferrari. :p They'd be better off buying the rights from people on this forum.

o

Well, they do offer boxed kits (Red Lion, Minerva, and Intokasi)...
K

Here is a link that might be useful: boxed kits from Waxz seller

o

Hah i'll stick to my Taylors bulbs gift sets!

Rob

o

Yeah i like the one inside a greeting card. Reminds me of those pop up cards i used to get.

i'll wait and see if the ball planters go on sale in january and pick a few up.

o

Ohh, I heard about Intokazi! Big beautiful white blooms. I've thought about tracking one down but they're all overseas and/or quite expensive. I remember coming across a post on some board where a woman shared pictures of a handful of amaryllis, extremely different flower colors and sizes, and said they were all from the same seed pod, the parents being Intokazi and Geraldine. I wanted to replicate the experience myself but yikes, the cost (and let's face it, also the space) is a huge barrier right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here