Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hippis loving their summer pasture

Posted by kaboehm 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 18:15

The hippis are enjoying their last few weeks in their summer "pasture"...lots of water, sun, and company.
The 2 green "spots" on the fence are 2 green tree frogs. I've seen loads of them amongst the hippis this summer. Good signs of healthy plants!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hippis loving their summer pasture

Did u grow these by seed?

o

about 50 are from seed...they are at the far back. You can see that there are some smaller plants/leaves. Those are from seed.

The rest are some of the 150+ H. named hybrids that I have.
K

o

That's awesome! What is the main company do u buy from?

o

Royal Colors and Van Engelen.
I'm lucky in that the Houston Amaryllis Society has a nice bulb sale in March or April. I've picked up dozens there.
K

o

So, you have them exposed to the sun, but protected with netting, right?

o

Thats awesome! I haven't ever ordered from RC before but might try them out.

o

Good morning sun, protected with some reflective screen...shade cloth(?). It looks like woven aluminum foil, but it's not. They have their own sprinkler system, and get watered twice a week early morning.

When I moved them out of the greenhouse, I fed them with the Bayer 3 in 1 that contains a 3-month fertilizer. Some of the ones that I won't be cutting this winter will get the new Jobe's organic 4-4-4. And once they start growing in the spring, they get 1/2 strength Miracle Gro.
Kristi

o

Being kind of new to this, and living in MI, was wondering when a good time would be to bring them inside to let them go dormant? No real good freezes yet. I accidently looked in on them too late last year when I had them bagged in the dark, in a cool garage and they had already sprouted, one almost in bloom... :( I plan on keeping the bulbs in the fridge this time so no surprises. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...
(I won't keep apples in there...fer sure)

o

Now would be good...
:-)
K And good thing about the apples...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here