Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Wow....the largest bulbs ever!!

I just opened my box from RC. Has anyone else received softball-sized bulbs?? AJ.... These are the size of the Amsterdam market bulbs! Off to buy a missing soil component. Thank goodness I have 1.5 gallon pots!!
K

Comments (31)

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

Mine just arrived today and you are right - they are huge!
    I have not seen anyone else send such large bulbs. Can't wait to see them bloom.
    Maida

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

Mine just arrived today and you are right - they are huge!
    I have not seen anyone else send such large bulbs. Can't wait to see them bloom.
    Maida

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Well, I got my bulbs from ETGBs today too but I posted it on the Saad Assaf thread. I guess we should have a new thread on newly received bulbs so I'll repost my pictures here (sorry if this is a nono)..like Kristi says, they are absolutely huge!! I"ll bet there will be 3 scapes in most of these bulbs!

Looks like it's going to be a good year..the bulbs are hard and healthy looking with a moderate amount of roots.

Donna

{{gwi:425063}}
    {{gwi:431655}}

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Wait, hang on what size of bulbs are you guys getting normally? RC said their bulbs were 28/30 or 30/32 (forget which) and those are good sizes but surely the ones in Amsterdam are bigger.

Not sure if Eurobulb ships to the US, but their bulbs are about 32cm but some are up to 36-38cm even though they stated 32. I had to rush out and get some bigger pots. I actually peeled a layer or 2 off a few to make it fit the pots as the bigger ones don't fit on my window sill.

I pretty much need that shelf you have you have in your kitchen window Kristi!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't recall that RC puts a cm spec on their bulbs. I 'll measure mine when I get home. They are unusually large.
    K

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Whoa! Those are huge! :O I bet you're going to have a lot of pretty blooms soon.

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

Got my ETGB's bulbs today and while they are not as big as Royal Colors, they are very nice. You won't be disappointed.
    Maida

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Kristi: I asked them so i could compare since they are a bit more expensive than other places.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Largest is 36+ cm. Two others are slightly smaller, and that's after peeling 2-3 layers off.

I just got another order of several pinks from another grower distributor and they are much larger than promised too.
    K

Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually...by measurement, 36+ doesn't seem so big, but since most are 26/28 from other sellers, these are definitely larger!! They are planted and happy.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Where are you finding the space!? lol The tiny south african ones are actually quite welcome to me at this point as they take up so little room! lol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well....that greenhouse will be creatively packed this winter. Remember, I am one of those who chop off leaves (or at least cut them down from 4+ feet to 6-8". Since this greenhouse is taller, I realized last year that I could have put in another round of shelves (4 tall instead of 3 tall) so....I will probably rig up something. THEN, when everything starts blooming, I'll move things around and utilize floor space. Remember (Donna's laughing) I was the one who alphabetized all the bulbs...so I could find them during the winter, and I inventoried bulbs, and then kept track of blooms. ARGH!

I also have a fully enclosed back porch that (needs to be cleaned off) doesn't freeze, so any overflow can go there. I have a huge rack of lights in the 4th bedroom that is just growing cactus seedlings, and a shelf by the window in the guest bedroom....so I think I can fit them in. HECK....I only ordered 6!

When you say "tiny South African ones", do you mean the Hadeco bulbs?

:-) (laughing)
    Kristi

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Oh so they are are outdoors normally and then when it gets cold they go in the greenhouse?

6-8" is the size of some of mine! lol Took all summer to get that much growth!

Lol @ alphabetizing bulbs but if you have that much i guess it is necessary to organize.

Yeah the Hadeco ones, most came rotten though.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll try and post photos of some of the huge ones that I put in the greenhouse. I think....since it's about a year between new bulbs coming in, I tend to forget how big they are from year to year. Or...I expect one size and when they are larger I do my (very) happy dance.

My Hadeco ones were ok. I had lots of peeling. Did you buy them from a US distributor, or a UK co?
    K

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

Got my ETGB's bulbs today and while they are not as big as Royal Colors, they are very nice. You won't be disappointed.
    Maida

• mariava7
    10 years ago

All of my fall ordered bulbs from several bulb companies have arrived and I am quite impressed with the quality and size of the bulbs this year. 2013 must have been a good growing season for the bulb growers.

These bulbs sure are a very good therapy for my Komoriya depression. LOL My mother was very surprised when I opened this box and said "Wow! Are those really amaryllis bulbs???" :-)

Happy Hippie Blooming everyone!!!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 20:32

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Krist: My Hadeco ones were ordered from the EU Hadeco site. They send them to Holland and then they are sent to their various EU destinations. They were attrocious. Sad thing was the ones i got from Edens Blooms which went from South Africa to Holland to US to UK were better, at least the ones which were packed in paper. They were dry but good.

I heard from some Dutch wholesalers they had a bad harvest of some varieties but that might just be customer service talk for oversubscribed and ran out. :P

The Japanese ones, i checked and some of them have rooted well. A few are like rocks and show no activity like corriense but the bulb seems fine. The Double Top White is kinda dessicated. I noticed some people received them with roots and foilage, that made me jealous.

I noticed in one of the aulicum pics they have on auctions sites actually shows the red mite damage on the scape. Guess we can't say they weren't as described. :p

Maria: Nice looking bulbs. When the bulbs split like that is it natural like when fruits split or is it because they've cut a scape out at that area? I always wondered about that.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I think it's a natural thing that the outer/older bulb scales split as the bulb gets bigger most specially in a growth spurt. I had established bulbs (huge ones) that did this before and I freaked out! LOL As long as you keep the scales in the dry side, they'll be fine and will eventually just dry out.

These are 40+ cm bulbs that will definitely make lovely early Christmas gifts to my friends and family (non Hippie addicts...yes I am enabling them big time! LOL). Fresh and heavy bulbs, each weighing almost 2 lbs. I LOVE THAT!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 22:00

• teddybear_2009
    10 years ago

Where can I order some from . I am new to this site I only have two small ones that I have had for several years that have red blooms and bloom about twice a year.Thanks for your help.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hi Teddybear,

There are many good websites from which to order bulbs. Here are just two that I have ordered from this season with great results. EasytoGrowBulbs in CA is one I use every year and they are very fast with their shipping and the bulbs were huge this year. On the East Coast I tried Living Gardens (New Hampshire) for the first time this year and was pleased with them too. If you buy from EBay there are several good sellers there also. I know others will direct you to other good sites; Royal Colors being one, but they are overseas and the shipping can be a bit much but their bulbs are great too. As for White Flower Farm, if you're well heeled they have good bulbs also but they are very expensive. Good luck with your choices...and let us know what you do and when you receive them..we will all be interested! And of course you can always visit your local nurseries which usually carry a good selection.

Donna

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

I came across some extraordinary sized bulbs at my town's market which takes place every Friday. Besides every kind of stores you usually can find on a market they have two vast local nurseries stands. Beautiful plants everywhere! I got my roses there, the Gardens Melody type which is the same colour of a warm rose wine with a silver lining to the edge of the petals. But this week they had a small section especially for Amaryllis, four insignificant boxes in the corner, just under narcissus and tulips.

I was honestly shocked, I never complained on the size of the bulbs I bought as they all were big but these... these were bigger than the palm of my hand... and I'm a guy! And I have a palm almost the size of a dinner plate.

Sadly not much description was given to the types, and they only had a standard white, red (which I decided to get because my Red Lion passed away) fuchsia pink and bicolour.

The price was very decent! ã3.50 for a bulb which at Royal Colours probably would cost me about ã15 plus delivery

Bargain!

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Maria: At first i thought that can was a mini kids can. Not sure if you get them in the USA but they are like 75ml or something! Have you had any trouble with them rotting more easily?

Teddy: I saw the jumbo ones at bloomingbulbs as well as many other places.

rgebczynski: Where on earth is this market in the UK? ã3.50? That is cheaper than lidl and almost wholesale price! I never seem to find them in the UK outside supermarkets! But then i guess i seldom go to markets.

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

I just received some bulbs from Touch of Nature's special fall sale (http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/fall1.htm). They are really inexpensive ($6 to $8) and the bulbs all look fine. Edensblooms (http://www.edensblooms.com/amaryllis) also has great prices for Hadeco minis, and I was happy with an order I placed with them last year.

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

AuntJemina: You can find Markets like that in Cambridgeshire area, I live in St Ives and we have them here.
    It might be because there is the Royal Botanical Garden in Cambridge and a lot of nurseries are sponsored by them!

I can't wait to see when it blooms.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

rgebczynski: Is it Cambridge General Market?

http://www.visitcambridge.org/shopping/markets

Everyday except sunday right?

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

I recon they should have some too, but you need to come to St Ives, market is on Monday and Friday till 3 pm.
    Sometimes once in blue moon they have the exclusive Taylors Premium Amaryllis bulbs which are really good!

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

How far is St Ives from Brandon? (Not from the area but i visit my friend who stays there).

How much are the Taylors ones as they cost ã4-5 wholesale? Lidl has cheap amaryllis bulbs now and again. They are doing un-named ones right now with pots i think for ã5. A month or 2 ago they did named varieties for ã3.69.

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

St Ives is 10 miles from Cambridge, next to Huntingdon which is about 4-5 miles away.

I don't remember the price of the Taylors, mine I got last January was ã4.99. I know Tesco has a Amaryllis sale right now for ã5 with soil and pot. I had a battle of wills when I went there the last time not to buy one.
    Everytime I see a plant I need to stop and see how much but if its an Amaryllis... oh man.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Awesome, i may go next time i visit.

The price of the taylors ones is amazing as the list price on their wholesale catalogue is almost 5 pounds, it's only cheaper for the crappy ones.

Does Tesco have any decent varieties for sale or just the standard red lion and apple blossom? I looked on their website and the ones u find there are fulfilled by crocus.

• HU-17497
    10 years ago

WOW those things are monster size, it should produce like crazy.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-6F2597E5-426C8367/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=7276

Lidl in the UK has these bog standard un-named ones for ã3.25 on thursday.

Sponsored
More Discussions