Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Healthy leaves but no flowers for last 2 years

Posted by tiffini CA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 11, 06 at 19:12

Hello,
I have 3 Amaryllis that gave beautiful flowers the first year. I leave them in pots outdoors. They give beautiful green leaves that are very long and healthy but no flowers =(. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? is it because I do not give them fertilizers? If si, what kind should I use?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Healthy leaves but no flowers for last 2 years

All plants and living things need food. Most likely it's because you apparently didn't feed them. Feed miracle grow or a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 at half strength every other watering. Amaryllis need LOTS of light and food.

Start feeding and they should eventually do great for you!

Tom

o

I have amaryllis bulbs in pots that have bloomed even without fertilizing. That is not the only possible issue. As has been discussed in other threads, you need between 6-8 leaves, ie. 3 to 4 leaves per side to get two stalks. If your bulbs have only two, three, or four very large leaves, then you will not see any blooms. Plant them in the ground and see how they take off. Alternatively, repot them in bigger pots with really good soil and water/fertilize to get that leaf count up. Also, light and temp. play a part. Hope this helps.

Plant_Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Amaryllis Page

o

Hi
Plant-guy
Getting the leaf count up. But how to do it?. Under the same conditions some of my seedlings have 8-10 leaves while the motherplant has 3-4.
ARIF

o

Hi Arif,

I have some amaryllis bulbs that just don't want to do anything but have the same 4 leaves up for over a year. You need to give these lazy ones a kick every so often. How do you do this, you say? I have some suggestions. One drastic measure is to simply cut all the leaves off. There, now you've thrown down the gauntlet. This will either stimulate the bulb, or it will grow the same four leaves. If you cannot get the leaf count up, then sectioning is your best bet. Another way is to remove the bulb from its pot, wash off the roots and then cut them to a 5" (around 10cm.) length and repot. Optionally, you can also cut the leaves off. At this point, it should grow or die. If you don't want to be so drastic, there is something else you can try. A fertilizer with a high nitrogen number (example only 12-2-1) will stimulate leaf growth. You can try this for about a month to see. If not, there's always plan B.

Plant_Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Amaryllis Page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here