Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I just happened to notice the highly red pigmented stem on my WalMart Ferrari. I googled pictures of Ferrari and none of them had a red stem at all not even a little red. I wonder what I've got..could my first purchase of the season be a mislabel? Well I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks...nothing earth shaking, just an observation since I'm flower starved at the moment.

Donna

Comments (15)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Hmmm....what do we know that has that "chocolate" stem. Wasn't there a popular bulb last year? The Ferrari I bought and gave to a coworker is nearly ready to bloom in the box and the peek of bloom doesn't look red. Ah...blossom roulette!
    :-)
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...maybe yet another Charisma..?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Anybody ever see such a dark scape? I don't think I have!!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Hmmm....looking very Charisma-like. Can't wait to see the bloom.
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well this is obviously not Ferrari nor Charisma. This is a VERY small perfectly formed red bloom, 5 buds on the first stalk, I might be able to detect a bit of a musty fragrance but it might be a stretch..

I looked on emaryllis.com at Scarlet Romance but it's not the same..SR has very frilly edges, this doesn't (yet) and SR has a bit of a star in the throat..this is tomato red with a darker red throat. Probably will be quite nice if all 5 flowers open at once and of course the dark red scape is a bonus..these pictures aren't too bad as far as the color goes but I'd say it's a clearer red than I'm showing..no orange..

Donna

• primeribs
    11 years ago

I think that might be 'scarlet baby'? I'll have to dig up a pic of my flower, but here is the scape. Very dark red like yours!

{{gwi:431950}}

• blancawing
    11 years ago

I think that when Donna wrote 'Scarlet Romance' she meant 'Scarlet Baby.' Donna's 'Not Ferrari' cannot be 'Scarlet Baby' because SB has frilly tepals.

Donna seems to attract intriguing mislabels; like her lovely diminutive (and unique) gem 'Tinkerbell.' After ruling out 'Carina' and 'Pamela,' the pigmented scape, flower color, and dark heart are close to 'Rapido.' However, there are several characteristics that weigh against this ID (e.g., the flowers are smaller, the shape is too pointy, and I don't see prodigious amounts of pollen falling onto the flower). As 'Rapido' is a prolific bloomer, I would also expect a third scape to emerge along with the possibly of a higher flower count per scape; but this is the first scape of a first year bloom. It may be too soon for 'Not Ferrari' to have revealed its final form and inherent attributes.

-Blanca

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Blanca you are correct. When I wrote Scarlet Romance I was substituting the name of a rhododendron that we have growing in our yard Scarlet Romance..I did indeed mean Scarlet BABY!!

And it was Scarlet BABY that I looked up on google and Emaryllis.com...there is no star in the center of my flower although the 9" wine colored scape do look like Primeribs. I would be interested to see a picture of Primerib's flower too.

There is the faintest suggestion of a musty aroma and there is a 3rd scape emerging..prehaps the flowers will turn frilly but haven't thus far.

Thank you both and I will post more pictures as more flowers open.

Blanca.. you had sent me some pictures of a small mislabeled red that you received last year (I think) and I can't find them in my emails as I was going crazy looking the other night to compare mine to yours.

I'll keep you posted and I am hoping that she IS Scarlet BABY...perhaps if these bulbs were produced through tissue culture it might change them a bit and not necessarily for the better?

Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the deep red pedicels and the green ovaries..just another clue... ;-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of Rapido from the Taiwanese website..

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:431945}}

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Dear Donna,

I have been working on an email message with photos of 'Carina,' 'Not Donau,' 'Pamela,' and 'Scarlet Baby' for you. As we all know, accurately capturing reds in photos is very difficult. Thus, all the photos I am sending may make the ID issue even more confusing.

To everyone who wishes that I would post photos here on GW. Please understand my sincere wish to do so. Sadly, GW's rigid "Terms of Usage" made me stop doing what I loved most about this forum.

Best regards to all,

Blanca

• primeribs
    11 years ago

Well then I must have a mislabel also? Mine doesn't have the frilly edge that SB has.

Here is the bloom from the spring of 2011.

{{gwi:431953}}

Sorry about the size photobucket won't let me enlarge?

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Hi primeribs,

Yes, it looks like you received a mislabeled bulb. 'Scarlet Baby' (formerly known as Gracilis Dulcinea) produces delicate blossoms which are a tad over 4" on very slender scapes. Aside from the frilly tepals, there is another distinctive characteristic that distinguishes SB's flowers from those produced by your bulb. Please note the difference between SB's heart and that of your flower.

Here is a link to a photo of 'Scarlet Baby' from the US National Arboretum.

Regards,

Blanca

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Baby

• Mongoose20
    11 years ago

I agree, both of ours are not Ferrari. Mine has smoky purple stems, and small bell shaped flowers. Each scape has 5 flowers with two scapes from one bulb.
    I think mine is "carina".

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the latest picture of mine. Five flowers (not all out yet), 2 thick dusky purple scapes,(the tallest is 9") and there is a fragrance once the flowers have been out for a few days. So you think it's Carina?