Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerperson

Reblooming Amaryllis

SummerPerson
12 years ago

I have a small backyard greenhouse that I heat during the winter. I have some miniature Amaryllis plants and some regular size Amaryllis plants. Last winter, I brought them in and kept them in their pots and stored them in a cardboard box in my heated backporch. (I don't remember how long I stored them. Maybe not long enough?) Anyway, this gave the Amaryllis darkness and no water for the dormancy, but I doubt that they got the colder temperature. None of them bloomed. Since then they've been in the greenhouse and growing beautiful green leaves.

It gets below freezing here a lot in the winter (zone 5B), so they can't stay outside and I don't have a basement or garage, or a cool place to store them. Would it work to put them in a small refrigerator? A refrigerator with no food in it, and set the refrigerator to the highest setting? If so, would you let the pot dry out and then just put the pot and all in the refrigerator.

I've also heard that miniature Amaryllis are harder to get to rebloom.

If you've rebloomed Amaryllis, whether the miniature or regular size ones, please describe what you did to get them to rebloom.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions