20 % Orchid Mix
20 % Perlite
20 % Turface

tia for any recommendations

Nam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted : Papillio Improved potting medium suggestion

Hi Nam, on a tip from Pat that papilios were epiphytes I put mine in 100% orchid mix (which has big perlite chunks in it) and they've finally stopped sulking on me and are back on the road to happiness (I hope). Alana

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 22, 09 at 1:04

A few of the species type Hippeastrum grow as epiphytes in their natural habitat... so, I'd say that an orchid medium would work fine.

I grow all of my bulbs in a mix of pine bark, granite chips and perlite... more commonly known as "Al's Mix". The turface and granite chips are interchangeable... I just couldn't locate turface in my area.

One of the members here, Pat, actually has Papillio bulbs mounted, like an epiphyte... and has others growing in moss baskets with orchid bark, I believe.

I'd say, go right ahead and use the medium you feel comfortable with... it sounds like you've got a good assortment of ingredients to work with.

o

Thanks for the responses folks

o

put it on a square bromelid/orchid platform with a handful of charcoal. Mist it once a month with dilute chamomille tea. If your house is too dry mist it more often. Hang it in a tree in warm weather. If you must put it in a pot, anything that is well draining. Prop the bulb up without planting until it sets the roots. Yes it's an air plant.
Bill

o

Wow, so that's what you can do with those chamomile tea bags that come in the sampler pack?!! What does misting with that do for the plant, though? Alana

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 23, 09 at 5:32

I'm not sure what tea would do, but since I am in the middle of re-potting several of my bulbs, I do believe I'm going to re-pot my Papillio into orchid bark. It's been growing fine in its current medium, but I'd prefer spectacular growth! I may do the same for the cybisters I have... and maybe even a few of the species... hmmm.

I wonder where I could locate a small moss basket? Smaller than the 10" and larger ones seen every spring in the garden section of the stores...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here