Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agent1xe13

A quick update...

agent1xe13
14 years ago

In case some of you might like to know, you may remember that this summer I successfully bloomed an amaryllis in 363 days from seed. The experiment with this 90 plant test group is ongoing. Here are some results up to this point.

I finally successfully bloomed 4 plants in a year. Right now, I have 7 more that are 14 and 15 months old that have a spike developing (I expect to find a few more in the coming days), they will most certainly bloom before they turn 18 months old. So, up to now, this means that at least 11 plants will have bloomed from between 12 months and 18 months old. As usual, the pix will be on my site when they bloom.

Laurier

Comments (9)

• holantina
    14 years ago

Wow... Great job!
    How did you manage to make the bloom so quick?
    I'm impressed.

• agent1xe13
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a long story, way too long to tell here. I wrote a 15 pages PDF document to tell the whole story up to what it was in September. Its on my web site, but in French only. Never had the time to translate it into English and I don't have any idea as to when I'll be able to do it either, sorry... ):

Laurier

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

Laurier,

If you are interested, most text will translate well-enough to comprehend using either Google Translate or Babel Fish.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

I linked the article below.

Unfortunately, the article is secured so that one cannot copy/paste it into a translation application. Perhaps Laurier will translate it for us in Google or Babel Fish, or remove the security setting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis: de la graine :à la fleur en 1 an

• lonewolf_amar
    14 years ago

If you save the document on your computer and then run the Google translator by uploading a document it works very well. Very few mistakes in the translation present.

• purpleclover
    14 years ago

I saved the pdf onto my desktop and tried to copy the text into Babel Fish, but got a message that the file was secured and could not be copied without the password.

Lonewolf, how did you manage?

Laurier, if he has an English copy of the text, could he post it in this thread?

G

• agent1xe13
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As I mentioned in the 3rd message above and as it is mentioned on my web page, it will eventually be translated, but I really have no idea when I'll be able to do it, certainly not in the near future, sorry...

As for the protection, sorry again, but it is there to stay. I've seen too many pictures in this forum alone being stolen (at least 3 times in less than 2 years if my memory serves me well), I have had documents stolen from me on the web and I've had documents bearing my signature stolen from me when I was working, my signature was erased with liquid paper and someone else put his signature where mine was.

So, again I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but I must think about myself before I think about anyone else, and if this means restricted access and use of documents of whatever type, I'll do it without any hesitation. It is not done against you personally, you may be just a victim like me, but there are badly intentioned peoples on this network and I don't intend to give them all that I have for free. Hope you understand, I have the feeling that you would likely take some similar positions if you were in my place.

Laurier

• lonewolf_amar
    14 years ago

Here is exactly how I did this. First of all do not try to copy and paste...it will not work and there is no way around it. Second, I have only found this to work with Google's translator...others do not want to seem to upload the document.
    1. Make sure that you have saved the PDF file to your computer.
    2. Go to Google's translator.
    3. There is a hyperlink next to the text box that says 'upload a document.'
    4. Click this and select the PDF from where ever you saved it...I saved it to the Desktop for simple ease of finding it.
    5. Click the Translate button. The translation takes a few moments depending on your speed but the document will come up in the already open window. I will not have pictures and there are a few grammar mistakes but it is understandable.

Let me know if anyone is still having trouble and I can try to help.

• purpleclover
    14 years ago

Thank you!

I was using Babel Fish. It worked great!

G