Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Nearly black mini from 2010 Keukenhof

I was printing out some photos to take to the seminar in FL and I came across this little beauty! It was the overall winner at the Keukenhof Amaryllis Show in 2010...and I loved it. Not named...and not yet in production for sale (as far as I know). We can only hope that we'll see this next year. I recall that one of the older judges asked me what I thought of it.....talk about a loaded question!

:-)

Kristi

{{gwi:432148}}

Comments (93)

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Oh yeah, I remember looking at this thread before. I thought the color was pretty amazing. I wonder how they achieved such a dark color.

• parodise
    10 years ago

It's been a year since anyone posted on this thread... I wonder if there has been any news in the meantime?!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got an email this morning from the breeder. He had called the new owner for me. The bulb is currently in propagation. Keep your fingers crossed for a 2015-16 offering!!
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Who do you think it will be available through; Royal Colors?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Who knows? I don't know the owner....

• sanjaybawa6079
    8 years ago

IT IS MID OF 2015 ANY INPUTS , ISTHE BLACK BEAUTY READY FOR THE MARKET

Original Author
    8 years ago

There have been no updates. I had asked the breeder last fall and he is not aware of any progress towards market. The rights and all stock were sold and it doesn't look like they are doing anything with it. There's still hope.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Does anyone want to guess what the news might be on this??? :-)

• Fred Biasella
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I hope it's good news and I want to get my little paws on it too!!!!

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

I still think that ir looks a lot like Jewel of the Night that is released. You can see it's picture and read about it on emaryllis.

Maida

8 years ago

What do you think about Tinto Night....

or perhaps Loyalty....

• jstropic (10a)
    8 years ago

Ok Kristi - this is just cruel!! -J

• Fred Biasella
    8 years ago

I have Jewel of the Night and it kinda looks like this??? Now I'll have check it out when I get home. I remember last year when I got it, It grew nicely but then the already small bulb got a whole lot smaller after it bloomed. I nursed it and it did get a little bigger, but I don't see any scapes coming up this year.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Fred...I can guarantee you that it's not Jewel of the Night! You have to believe!! JOTN doesn't look to have purple scapes.....

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

Mine did when I first bought them.

Maida.

• sanjaybawa6079
    8 years ago

It's a real beauty would like to buy a bulb or two

Original Author
    8 years ago

Well...I have heard from the breeder that the new buyer has put this through tissue culture. I'd guess we should start looking for it in 2018. It still isn't named. So for all of you saying, "My H.____ looks just like this.", it may look like it, but it's not "it"!

:-)

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

More bulbs to look forward to and buy, just like Thai Thai.

• rredbbeard
    8 years ago

Is the parentage of this plant known (publicly)?

• Fred Biasella
    8 years ago

I also remember that Jewel of the Night had a purplish tint to the scape, maybe not as dark as the picture of Black Beauty, but pretty close.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Rick, I would say probably not....breeders hold that info pretty close, but that's not to say there isn't something related on the market, like a first cousin!

Fred...interesting that you've chosen the "nickname" of Black Beauty. Any reason in particular?

• mariava7
    8 years ago

The bulb I received from RC last season that was named as Jewel of the Night did have purple-ish scape.

• Fred Biasella
    8 years ago

Hi Kristi and Maria,

I think I was typing while I was thinking Black Pearl and wow this is a beauty and my brain mashed them together and came up with Black Beauty :-))))

Yup...that's what mine looked like. But it didn't grow to well. The bulb flowered nicely and I don't know if it attracted the danged NBF or if it just rotted, all I know is turned to mush :-((( I know I mentioned earlier that it was nursed back to health, but I got my wires crossed and confused it with another one. I had to do some emergency surgery to clean out the rotted/diseased tissue and ended up chipping what was left. Now it's a waiting game to see if it survives. It seems to be a bit fussy with my typical/general hippi culture and maybe that's why It wasn't actively promoted? Who knows, perhaps they're trying to improve it growing ability before releasing it again to the public?

Warm Regards,

Fred

• Ray Schuck
    8 years ago

The first year they bloomed with two and three scapes per bulb. Last year only one bloomed. I hope they do netter this year.

Maida

Original Author
    8 years ago

Fred I only asked because that was the "nickname" that the breeder has given these. REMEMBER, he sold all his stock, and that buyer has just put the bulbs through tissue culture for propagation, so I guess we'll see what comes of it.

• edubose98
    7 years ago

I sure was hoping they would release this amaryllis this fall... here is to hoping for 2017! ♡♡♡♡

• edubose98
    7 years ago

Does anyone own a "Black Diamond"? From the pics of it looks a lot like it... I am ready to see this baby released!

Original Author
    7 years ago

We all are!!

Seems to me that Sonatinis.com has shown some limited offerings of No.1500's sibling.

Original Author
    7 years ago

The sibling has been named "H. Dark Wizard". Look for it to be offered in the 2017-18 season IF it grows out as planned.

• Carl
    6 years ago

I just want to bump this thread because I somehow it stirred in the back of my head and after a quick search I read through the whole thing again.

Season 2017-18 is upon us and I guess everyone forgot about it? By the was Dark Wizard is a gread name. Now I want one even more! :D

6 years ago

Well, here is my Dark Wizard from last year's group order of Sonatinis. Here is my picture taken with a flash which make it more red than it actually was.

Then there was Caramba which I believed only Maria received and posted a picture of if you can find it, and I believe it was even more purple than Dark Wizard which had at least 6 flowers per scape.

For what it's worth, my Dark Wizard bulbs were quite large and appear to be strong growers that maintain their size unlike so many other that shrink after their initial blooming.

• Carl
    6 years ago

Geez! I totally missed last years sonatini craze! Here's the thread!

Sooo ... I'll put that one on the "to-have"-list ... great news, that it finally got available!

• JL (Zone 6B MA)
    6 years ago

I remember reading this thread and seeing the lovely flowers. So Donna are you saying the Dark Wizard is the same as the flower in the original post? So lovely

• Carl
    6 years ago

Dark Wizard isn't available through Sonatini.com but Carramba is!

6 years ago

Joy, no I don't think it is the same as the original flower posted but close enough for those who want a truly dark purple red. Actually, I think that Carramba might be though...which to my eye is even darker and has the dusky colored scapes but I don't have one of those.

Then there was Maria's Jewel of the Night that I think RC offered a few years ago which also has a dusky colored scape like the very first picture posted. Dark Wizard has green scapes.

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

I just got a Caramba from André Barnhoorn and it is quite big for a Sonatini bulb. It's not planted yet but I'll post pictures when it blooms...

6 years ago

I wait with anticipation!! Dark Wizards were also large bulbs for a Sonatini, nearly double the size of most.

• lokai99
    6 years ago

I ordered a Caramba from Andre as well. Mine won't be delivered until March to South Carolina...that is a good thing. I wonder if this dark beauty in the picture will ever come to us. You'd think 7 years would be long enough to offer something.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Per a November email from Andre: This Dark wizard is a sibling of 1500 but with improved characteristics – bigger bulbs with a higher stemcount per bulb.

• Carl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think I have to order from Andre also. What about all these varieties only named by number. Are they commonly available through Sonatini.com ? I'm especially interesed in #1623 ... Anja your picture togehter with Spotlight makes me kind of regretting getting that one ;)

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Carl, you can just send them an email and Andre will propably send you the list of what is still available. I think #1623 wasn't on the list I saw this year. I wonder why, for me it was the best grower over the summer and is right now sending up a scape. I still like Spotlight though...

• edubose98
    5 years ago

Anyone ordering from Sonatini.com this upcoming season? If so, which ones do yall want? I been looking through them and making a mental note of some I want :) I have been wanting the amaryllis from the top picture for several years now! I just wished someone would offer it for sale whomever has been holding on to it lol

• berkeleysgr8
    5 years ago

I occasionally get Sonatini bulbs from other sources. My Ratatouille died. I have 3 healthy bulbs of the Viridi Rascal. I have Bright Spark, Trentino, Graffiti, and a couple others. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any pollen to take on the Viridi Rascal. I was hoping it would accept Evergreen or H papilio pollen... but my cross breeding attempts failed. I have Bright Spark seed I could send your way. It was open pollinated, so it's probably selfed.

• lokai99
    5 years ago

I was really intrigued by the shapes of #11-22 and #167 .. I had not seen them before and I would love to cross 11-22 with papilio. #120 is on my list as well as Viridi Rascal which wasn't on the order forms last year. I also ordered Ratatouille and Stips and Stripes along with Sunshine. I would love to see a cybister x Sunshine bloom. I also so love the papilio hybrid Sonatini.

I hate to hear that Viridi Rascal did not make seeds for you. My dream for the future is to have many more papilio crosses and make crosses amongst them all!

Does your Graffiti have any of the red veining? None of mine do and that is what most attracted me.

• berkeleysgr8
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

My Graffiti bulbs have been refusing to flower! I have purchased them several times and gave bulbs to my mother too (more than once). Even with newly purchased bulbs, neither one of us have seen a bloom. I have more than a dozen Graffiti bulbs now and I gave a pot of 6+ bulbs to my mother in Spring this year. When I repotted them, they had massive root systems for such small bulbs. I moved the bulbs to a sunnier location this year with the hope that I may get a late season bloom or at least get flowers next year. I was hoping Viridi Rascal and Graffiti would bloom at the same time. I wanted to compare their blooms. Viridi Rascal was beautiful!

• lokai99
    5 years ago

Oh, Blanca! I love it! I sure wish any of mine looked like that! Thank you for sharing and I have something to keep trying for! Yours is so beautiful!

My Graffiti have also had massive root systems, but have bloomed only once for me and they were just green. I contacted the seller and found out they were self seedlings... which probably means they will not look like Blanca's.

Graffiti x Lima or x Tiramisu or x papilio would be just lovely!

Blanca, have you had any successful crossings with Graffiti or Viridi Rascal?

• blancawing
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Joey,

When you wrote that the flowers produced by your Graffiti bulbs were just green, I thought that you might have received Green Dragon as a substitute (photo included below). So sorry to hear that you actually received seedlings from self-pollination. That’s disappointing!

I haven’t attempted pollination with Viridi Rascal as either seed or pollen parent. Regarding Graffiti, I haven’t been successful in coaxing this variety to set seed. However, pollinating some diploid varieties (e.g., Evergreen) using Graffiti pollen was successful. My suggestion: reverse the crosses you mentioned by trying Graffiti pollen on Lima, Tiramisu, and H. papilio or other potentially complementary mothers. Would you like some Graffiti pollen?

• lokai99
    5 years ago

Thank you for the offer, Blanca. I shall certainly like some. I will inbox you. Thanks!

• berkeleysgr8
    5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions, Blanca. With the visual similarities between Graffiti and Viridi Rascal, there may be similarities in their reluctance to set seed. Next year will provide new opportunities!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner