Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nearly black mini from 2010 Keukenhof

Posted by kaboehm 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 21:10

I was printing out some photos to take to the seminar in FL and I came across this little beauty! It was the overall winner at the Keukenhof Amaryllis Show in 2010...and I loved it. Not named...and not yet in production for sale (as far as I know). We can only hope that we'll see this next year. I recall that one of the older judges asked me what I thought of it.....talk about a loaded question!
:-)
Kristi
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nearly black mini from 2010 Keukenhof

Kristi,

This is one I'm VERY excited for, not only is it incredibly small and almost black, it's trumpet shaped!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 4:45

It won 1st prize, on some competition, and this does not surprise me. To combine extreme color with superb shape, is a challenge!

o

Kristi:

Can you let us know who the growers are? Maybe we could e-mail them, and let them know that there is an interest in this unique Hipp. and that there is a waiting market for this bulb. I'd buy it for sure!!!

Thanks for letting us look at this special flower. I hope it hits the US soon.

Frank

o

Hans-Werner it was the overall winner for the show at Keukenhof! That's a huge deal for the growers!

Josh...Yup...it's a beauty alright!

Frank, I have been in contact with the grower in the past. I'll keep the list posted when there is news!

Kristi

o

Just a few questions : ......

Having never seen "ROYAL VELVET" up close, and personal, would you say that the "RV" bloom color and this dark-flowering, trumpet hybrid, that's pictured here, have a similar color? If the color is not the same, which Hipp. comes closest to this dark, trumpet hybrid? ... "BLACK PEARL"..."BENFICA"...."RED PEARL" "CARMEN"....etc.????

Just asking.

Frank

o
RE: Nearly black mini from 2010 Keukenhof -

I don't own Royal Velvet, but it's a bit darker than my Benefica.

I have just emailed to inquire about availability.
Kristi

o

This hybrid looks much more dark than anything I've seen on the market right now!

o

Kristi......

Thanks for the heads-up on this variety. I want it.... and I need it now. My dark-flowering, mini-trumpet Amaryllis jones has just kicked back in!

Kristi, PLEASE keep us posted about this Hipp.

Thanks much, .....Frank

o

Now that I really like.

o

Now FRANK....patience!! These things don't happen overnight!!

Lots of people make the mistake of falling in love with something that is no longer available. You are catching this one on the front end....it will come. I'll keep the list posted, but I SWEAR...you guys had better not scoop them out from under me (or you can all pay for my trip to Europe last year to do the snooping work!).
:-)
K

o

OH! My! Goodness!

o

OH BABY! Sign me up as well! I would like a bulb or 2!!!

-KB

o

I won't be selling this or distributing it or???, but if and when it is available commercially, I'll be sure to let the list know what information I've been given!
Kristi

o

Kristi.......

I mentioned in a few of my postings that patience was NOT one of my few, if any, virtues. :) :)

Everybody else is chompin'-at-the-bit also, so there's lots of interest with this new hybrid. I wonder if the growers know that there is already a list of potential customers waiting for these bulbs.

Now the waiting game begins.

Frank

o

Frank,

I'm sure they're going to sell this hybrid commercially but to produce a mass amount can take years! I assume it may be out next season if all goes well? It's already too late I feel for this season :( Maybe Royal Colors will pull some strings like they do each season!!!

This was the winning hybrid last year of the big Hippeastrum show, HOPEFULLY it will be available for EVERYONE and not just cut flowers :(

Josh

o

I contacted the breeder and they have sold all the rights to this bulb. When I get home (I'm at a writing conference) I'll do some legwork to get current status. The breeder said it will be a few years before it is available for sale to the public.

Josh was right on the money. Several of us on the list think this is a beautiful bloom but world wide it gained the attention of thousands. Although you aren't patient Frank, there's no substitution for taking some deep breaths and realizing nothing you can do with impact the time that it takes to bring a new bulb to market.
Kristi

o

Kristi......Slightly dismayed by your latest posting and the news contained therein. I will not have a stroke, nor hyperventilate. : ( : )

I'll just have to wait like everyone else for this bulb to hit the markets.

Thanks for the newest information.

Frank

o

Frank and I will sit quietly here in the corner holding our breaths! Keep us posted...thanks!

--Rr

Did you determine what the name or supplier will be?

o

Have asked all these questions and more...will post news as soon as there is any. Meanwhile Frank, Rr, and hundreds of others wait...and wait...
Kristi

o

I've been out of the bulb loop for a while... wow! What a looker! It's not just the deep, saturated color that draws attention... it's that lovely shape! Again... wow!

o

Hello to You all from another one, who has been out for the summer and more. Another new dark is avaylable in RC. The grand Diva is on my list. But this is not a mini!
Lots of greetings!

o

Grand Diva is a lovely color, but it doesn't have that trumpet shape I adore so much. If I were ordering bulbs this year, I'd probably include Grand Diva, though, just for that deep hue.

o

Still waiting, and, waiting........... I'll be 62 soon. Who wants to wait??? What a revolting development this is!!!

Anyway, since my first posting on this bulb, way back when, my hybrid Clivias have arrived, and they have diverted my attention away from the near-black Hipps. Clivias can be a loooooong wait-for-flowers.......but, I'd better get used to this waiting game.

Please update from time to time with any new info. Thanks,

Frank

o

Patience is a very big part of gardening, along with knowledge... since there really is no such thing as a green thumb. But once you get the basics down pat, and you learn that Mother Nature cannot be rushed... that she takes her own sweet time, and she works in cycles... growing plants and gardening is a pastime that can't be beat!

Part of the beauty of such a hobby is always learning new things, and always discovering something different. It was actually my wish to grow bulbs successfully that prompted me to look much deeper into container gardening and mediums... so, while I awaited the next blooming season, I used my time to learn more about the differences between growing in pots and growing in the ground. That knowledge has served me well.

Patience is a virtue, they say... and nowhere does it seem to count more than in growing and nurturing things... whether you're patient in gardening, or patient with your children and grandchildren, it's an important lesson to learn.

I would have to say that raising children and gardening have taught me to slow down and enjoy things more... to have a little patience... because I don't want to miss anything important, and the end results are so worth waiting for. :-)

What takes commercial growers so long to bring various new plants to market, though, I couldn't say. But having patience makes the wait less intolerable.

o

Kristi....

Any news on these bulbs?

I'm hoping that these beauties will be retailed by this coming fall season.

Please keep us informed if any new information is learned about this variety.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Frank

o

Frank,

In all reality they may never be released for cultivation and only for the cut flower world. Lets just hope it's available at SOME point!

o

Hello Frank! Next Keukenhof show of Amaryllis is at the 25. - 29 of march!

o

You ought to go to Lisse for the Show! It's amazing! I got to walk around with the judges for a bit at the end. I took over 700 photos of the entrants. The judging is on the first day. I would like to go again in a few years. I'll be in Iceland this year during the Keukenhof show, but will see unique sights there. Have to take it all in while you can!
K

o

Thanks guys for the up-dated information. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for this bulb. : )

Have a wonderful New Year.

Frank

o

Frank,

I wouldn't, while it will probably be released for dry sales it may be several years! Some varieties we have been seeing at these shows for quite some time have still not been released. Some are released the following season which this nameless mini didn't do.

I'm not even sure if this plant has been registered, I haven't been able to find it.

o

Josh.....

It amazes me that this bulb may not come to market, and that so little information could be found. I wonder if the growers/owners know what a huge potential market there is for this variety? I think it's quite unique and would snatch up some bulbs in a NY second!

But, ditto my comments above....I won't hold my breath.

Thanks,
Frank

o

Dear Frank...this was the TOP AWARD WINNER at an international show. The judging panel was quite prestigious and it was talked about for weeks and months afterwards. The color, the shape, the foliage....all of it is just outstanding, hence it was very deserving of the top award!

You can bet the breeder sold it for a small fortune. Of course they know there's a market for this bulb!! The amaryllis "industry" is very secretive and hard to crack (a bulb cartel?!)...when they want us to know something, they will get the word out. Until then you are just eating yourself up about this bulb!

Stop thinking about it and before you know it...a couple of years will have passed...either it will happen or it won't but there's very little you can do to influence any decisions and you can't rush the process. Remember, it takes 2-3 years to bring something to production...at least!

Hang in there....I'm older too (you've mentioned that before attributing to your lack of patience!), but you just need to stop thinking about this bulb!!!

Kristi

o

Frank,

Someone purchased the bulb but that also means they have to propagate it so they will have enough to go around. Once they propagate it they have to bring it to bloom size which takes several years.

It also depends who bought the bulb as to what they'll do with it.

Kristi is right, relax, it could be quite a wait. I'm sure it isn't that they want to keep it out of production.

Josh

o

I just don't want Frank's cause of death to be listed as "the nearly black mini hippi"....it's not worth it. For example...I am nearly sick that my RvR rotted, but that's life. I walked out one day and I swear, the bulb was all shriveled and there was no saving it. I have saved many bulbs from rot that I catch in time, but this one just vanished in a very short time. So...I've tried to replace it, and apparently I can't or it will be hard. But I have so many beautiful bulbs that in the big scheme of things, this bulb was a nice memory...and that's how it may forever remain.

We don't know what the owner will do with it. They may not ever put the bulb out for sale, but might sell it as cut flowers. At least someone will be able to use the pollen and enjoy the blooms. Actually, with a cut bloom they could "self" it and make their own, which may or may not resemble the parent bloom.

Like a kid waiting for the holidays, if you dwell on it they seem to take forever to get here. If Frank can put this to the back of his mind (or put it on his paper wish list and then forget about it for a while) it might show up before he knows it. I know when I am looking forward to something, time creeps.

JMHO!
K

o

Thanks guys.

I was just browsing through some older postings and this thread again popped into my mind, so I just was wondering if there was any new info. on this variety.

Only about an hour ago, I received an e-mail from Royal Colors and they have a variety that looks like a mini "Royal Velvet". Could this be the mini, near-black? RC calls this maroon-red variety "BORDEAUX RASCAL"

Thanks for the thoughts...but, I'm not overly concerned. Just thought there might be an up-date. BTW, I'm still looking for "ORANGE RASCAL", but no success.

Frank

o

Frank....what...."I'm not overly concerned"?!?!? Oh, who do you think you're kidding!! We'll get some answers soon enough. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

The company in Italy is still selling ORANGE RASCAL. Seems like someone would know someone in the EU who could order it and then send it to you...as a "gift"...that's the only way you'll get it unless it's in the Sonatini assortment (and it might be from the looks of the photo on the RC site).
;-)
Kristi

o

Frank,

It's only been a few days since you last asked lol, I'm sure Kristi will not forget to update the thread if she hears something.

o

These blooms are definitely obsession-worthy! They are soooooo beautiful!

o

Any new news on this amaryllis? I want it! It is beautiful!

o

Oh Ed, Ed, Ed....
:-/
K PS...I hope you all don't think I'm hoarding 25,000 of these! I'll share with the list the moment I hear anything. I promise.

o

Lol...thanks kristi! I love looking at the photo of these beauties!

o

Ok...Eric I just sent another email to the owners of this bulb asking if they plan to offer it this year or next...or if not what are their plans for it. Let's see what they say.

When I was in Holland (The Netherlands) at the Amaryllis show I learned that there is this secret society of amaryllis growers and breeders and they are very tight with info!!
;-?
K

o

Thanks kristi! Well they don't need to be having no secret society! Lol

o

Oh yeah, I remember looking at this thread before. I thought the color was pretty amazing. I wonder how they achieved such a dark color.

o

It's been a year since anyone posted on this thread... I wonder if there has been any news in the meantime?!

o

I got an email this morning from the breeder. He had called the new owner for me. The bulb is currently in propagation. Keep your fingers crossed for a 2015-16 offering!!
Kristi

o

Who do you think it will be available through; Royal Colors?

o

Who knows? I don't know the owner....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here