Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Amaryllis are loving my greenhouse!

Noni Morrison
13 years ago

I am so pleased with the leaf growth my amaryllis have made this summer, their first ones in my new greenhouse. IT got darned hot in there this summer, but when Ryan advised that his showed no stress in Arizona at 118 degrees, I relaxed and let them go at it. Now as the days get short, I have the lights coming on at 7 PM until 11 PM, and again from 6 AM till good daylight. I will be adding daylight hours with the light as our dark foggy winter sets in.

WHere before I struggled to keep 5 leaves on each bulb, they probably average about 7 now on the adult bulbs and are growing nicely. My Maguire's bulbs bought this year are starting to bloom, with 3 of them about to open, and last years Maguires are showing buds just about to start shooting up.

Next we get to test winter, and it is supposed to be the worst in about 50 years here due to a very strong La Nina. It will be a good test for my Sunglo Double wall polycarbonate greenhouse.

I am not observing any bulb damage from insects this summer..whew! I was afraid some of those nasty NBF would come in the vents but I see no evidence of it.

Comments (4)