Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis are loving my greenhouse!

Posted by lizalily 8b PNW USA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 22:26

I am so pleased with the leaf growth my amaryllis have made this summer, their first ones in my new greenhouse. IT got darned hot in there this summer, but when Ryan advised that his showed no stress in Arizona at 118 degrees, I relaxed and let them go at it. Now as the days get short, I have the lights coming on at 7 PM until 11 PM, and again from 6 AM till good daylight. I will be adding daylight hours with the light as our dark foggy winter sets in.

WHere before I struggled to keep 5 leaves on each bulb, they probably average about 7 now on the adult bulbs and are growing nicely. My Maguire's bulbs bought this year are starting to bloom, with 3 of them about to open, and last years Maguires are showing buds just about to start shooting up.

Next we get to test winter, and it is supposed to be the worst in about 50 years here due to a very strong La Nina. It will be a good test for my Sunglo Double wall polycarbonate greenhouse.

I am not observing any bulb damage from insects this summer..whew! I was afraid some of those nasty NBF would come in the vents but I see no evidence of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis are loving my greenhouse!

Wow, your greenhouse really sounds promising. I'd love to see pictures!

Will you have to heat it over winter? Are your pots staying in the greenhouse all the year?
I would also say that high temperatures are not the problem, but maybe the humidity can get critical, if too much water condenses in between the leaves you may get problems. So be sure to let aerate as well as possible during summer.

o

A fan might be a good idea when closed up for the winter to keep the air circulating...I know many greenhouses use fans for this purpose.....

Donna

o

Wow...118, maybe mine would have been ok to leave in this summer (the thermometer only goes to 120 and it hit that a few times in the GH).

In the winter, I have a fan circulating the air, and a heater at the bottom.

Can't wait to see photos of Noni's GH full of Hippis!
:-)
K

o

I agree, Noni, we want pictures! That sounds great that they're loving life and leafing out in the greenhouse. I know they do love the heat. Interesting that last year's Maguires bulbs are blooming now, though. You would think they'd wait till spring.

Alana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here