Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unidenified red object ?

Posted by Mongoose20 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 1:28

This Hippeastrum was labeled 'red lion' but it's obviously something else. Do you have any ideas? I was thinking Donau because of the white wings on the back.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic>

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unidenified red object ?

Sorry for the poor quality.

o
pic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic>

o

There were a few Amigos that cropped up last year with the white on the front-mid of the petal. Don't know what the back looks like! Go to emaryllis.com to look for this, since your photos look more pink than red. True?
K

o

I think it may be red, or a light red, but appear more pink due to photo and light quality.

Over the years, I've had some very different looking Red Lions, so there is a possibility that it's just a poor representation of Red Lion. On the other hand, it could be a mislabel... like so many are.

It's sometimes hard to accurately name these bulbs, but I think it's a beauty, regardless what you call it!

o

It could be vera or bolero?

o

This is not a `Vera '.

o

This is 'Amigo' I am certain, it has been mislabeled as 'Red Lion' for the past two years ESPECIALLY at Wal-Mart.

o

Yes, I think so too.

o
Unidenified red object

Thanks everyone, we have come to the conclusion that I have an 'Amigo'.

o
picture

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 4:24

The ovary is very dark colored in "Red Lion". I would actually favorize a Red Lion over "Amigo" (at least IF the Amaryllis shown above, is one "Amigo")
Please be aware, that breeding is an experiment.In this regard, commercial breeding includes the test whether the public appreciates the outcome or not.The tests are so-to-say just running, for some newer cultivarZ. If this is "Amigo" then IMHO it will not "make it" It does not offer new,creative, spectacular properties.If you like DRAMATIC, SHINY Red then "Red Lion" is a your choice. This is the reason that Red Lion still exists, although its flowers are not of a spectacular size AND, its bud are rather irregularly, not perfectly shaped.But the buds are already richly deep colored. This makes them attractive for the cut flower market also.

o

If you want a nice red and aren't thrilled with Red Lion, Rapido or Pamela are both very lovely alternative reds to try... I've grown them both, and I've been extremely pleased with the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here