brigarif Khan
10 years ago

Are these Lemon Limes Healthy?

{{gwi:432792}}
Arif

Comments (10)

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

Arif it is a pitty for me to say, but i think, they are virused!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Welcome back to the list Arif! Sorry to say that some of the leaves do look suspect.
    :-(
    Kristi

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do not worry I know, The virus was confirmed three years ago

Posted by brigarif Lahore Pakistan (My Page) on Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 3:23
    This plant a Lemon Lime was purchased last year.Below are photos of last year.

The leaves last year.

{{gwi:432793}}

The leaves this year.
    {{gwi:432795}}

The bulb has grown in size and there are eight bulb lets around it.That is why I think it is healthy.
    Anyway I have placed it in one corner of my garden and let us watch its progress in next few years.
    Does this virus kill the plant?
    Arif
    Since then the plants have bloomed consistently every year and am sure will do so in coming many years
    {{gwi:432796}}

{{gwi:388043}}

It does not bother me that all my plants are virused
    Arif

10 years ago

Hi Arif,

I think your Lemon-Lime blooms are beautiful. I know we've had this discussion several times...virused plants are less hardy, but you lavish yours with care and they are doing ok! They have virus and you have accepted it. I have some virused plants growing under screen. These are bulbs that I just couldn't bear to part with.

Last weekend, while cutting leaves and moving far too many pots of Hippeastrum, I only found one plant that had the virus pattern on it's leaves. It was my H. Cherry Nymph; an absolutely HUGE bulb that had grown leaves between 4-5 feet tall. It will go under the screen and live out its days there.

My virused plants are fairly neglected. They don't get fertilizer, etc, yet they continue to grow and bloom. Quite the hardy bunch.

I am looking forward to many more photos of blooms from your massive gardens. How are the plants doing at the hotel?

Take care,
    Kristi

• sun_worshiper
    10 years ago

Cool experiment Arif! I look forward to seeing if the bulb can continue to produce nice blooms despite virus. I see evidence in my garden that while the leaves exhibit damage, it doesn't affect the vigor or blooms much. And year to year, the same plant might look better or worse. Not a progression strictly worse. And I've found that the ones that bloom in shade have almost no defects on the blooms, but the ones that bloom in full sun emerge looking perfect and show damage by the next day. Kind of hard to say if the damage is from sunburn, or if it is virus damage made more evident. I too have decided not to worry about virused plants too much. Impossible to prevent outdoors here I think. And despite virus, blooming and offsetting continues quite well.

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello,
    Kristi my plants that I had shifted from ground to pots and placed on roof top of my house have finally recovered and I hope will bloom well come April
    My roof top Hippeastrum garden

{{gwi:432797}}

{{gwi:432798}}

My hippeastrums at hotel (Arches garden) are planted in long(over 100 feet)beds under flowering trees and are doing very well in partial shade/sandy soil.
    The one bed under Chorisia trees spring 2013

{{gwi:432799}}

Chorisias in bloom today
    {{gwi:432800}}

{{gwi:432801}}

{{gwi:432802}}

Those under Tabebuia trees are also doing well
    spring 2013 picture

{{gwi:432803}}

Arif

• parodise
    10 years ago

Arif,
    what a great rooftop garden you have - your plants are so lucky to be getting all that sun and TLC!
    Was curious about your hippis growing under trees - how long do you let them grow in the same spot? Ever dig them up at all?
    Thanks.
    Lena

10 years ago

I know that when it's cool, the leaves growing on my virused plants look fine. It always gives me a moment where I have to remember that they are affected. As soon as it gets hot, the leaves show the pattern. I would think sunburn wouldn't be as defined as the mosaic. It seems it's part of our lives now. Many burn these bulbs and I have disposed of many. It's sad.
    I am glad that Arif has such a passion for Hippeastrum and I always look forward to springtime when I can enjoy all the photos from his gardens.
    K

• fishing_dentist
    10 years ago

Arif aware, that sucking parasites can spread the virus to the other healty ones.

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Arif's experience is very interesting, and makes me wonder if the biggest impact of the mosaic virus might be mostly psychological, affecting the grower more than the plant. No doubt the mosaic virus must have some negative effects, but they may be modest compared to the influence of many other sub-optimal conditions to which we subject our plants for some reason or another. I am just pondering here, since I don't have the courage to find out, and I will continue to dispose of any virused plants I encounter.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz