Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allstarsgymnast7

Too early dormancy...???

allstarsgymnast7
14 years ago

I've searched the site for the past, uhm, about 6-8 hours now learning all I can about my Amaryllis.

A brief history: I got it online through ebay (kinda sketchy, I know) from a seller in Mississippi. They said it was about 2 years old. It arrived looking pretty healthy to me (mind you, it was the FIRST time I even saw an Amaryllis/Hippe). Put it in some medium (1 part vermiculite, 1 part sphagnum peat moss and 1 part regular potting soil). Kept the soil moist as instructed.

Fall begins and a yellow leaf falls off while I'm away for the weekend. I cut it off. I do some research, and read about dormancy. I look at the plant the following day, and I see a new leaf growing in the old spot. Not days later, the other "old" leaf is yellowing, so I cut that one off too. Days later, another leaf is replacing the second "old" spot. So I have two new leaves! I do more intensive research and decide I should probably start dormancy since the days are getting shorter and fall is on its way. By the time I make up my mind, there's a third leaf growing!

Well, I was mean, gradually stopped watering, etc. like I read to do. Took the bulb (about 1" or 2.5 cm) out of the pot and discovered a little offshoot! Now I just feel like a horrible human being for forcing dormancy on a young bulb and a little "bulblet" (which doesn't have it's own roots yet).

So I guess my question is (after my rambling - my apologies, after reading this forum A LOT I didn't want to leave out any details): Did I force too early?

-I don't know if it had a dormancy cycle before I got it.

-I've read younger bulbs don't need to go dormant.

-It's in my fridge because I'm in a dorm room and it's really the only cool place I can put it. It's been in there about 2 weeks (since Nov. 1). Which leads to another question: does it HAVE to be cool? Can it not just be dark?

I apologize if this has been asked already. But I swear I searched as hard as I could for relevant keywords! haha. Any help would be extremely welcomed! Sorry also for my extreme rambling. I didn't want to leave much out... :)

Thank y'all!

-KTP-

P.S. I have named the amaryllis Acenath (Egyptian for "spirit of the sun") and the little bulblet Aspen. My family thinks I'm crazy... :)

Comments (12)

• Carl
    14 years ago

Well, being crazy does help from time to time. ;)

I think that you forced the dormancy too early, but Hippeastrum are robust plants and it shouldn't really harm it.

In future, you shouldn't get them to go dormant when they're still growing leaves, that's a sign showing you the plant is still in it's active growth period. I wouldn't have tried to get them dormant since it's not sure whether your Acenath is ready to flower.

The temperature should be cool, light is rather irrelevant. At least you should put them in a slightly colder spot than they where before.

Good luck with your two Hippeastrum! They're really tough plants (as long as they're not totally treated wrong, but you seem to do fine with them). Perhaps yours will flower after the dormancy, I wish you much luck!

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

When I first began growing Hippeastrum bulbs, I was a little bit confused about the dormancy/forcing issue... after searching the internet and reading, I was a lot more confused!

And then I learned that there's no need to force a dormancy on Hippeastrum bulbs. They can be grown just like any other houseplant, and left to their own devices, they will tell you when they need a rest by dropping leaves... at which point, I cut back on watering.

When new growth appears, I resume normal watering. My bulbs usually bloom in early spring, which is their natural bloom time.

The issue of forcing and dormancy only applies if you want blooms at a time of year other than when your Hippeastrum bulb would normally bloom, which is spring. If you want blooms for Christmas, you would begin forcing dormancy around the middle of August, moving your pots into a cool, dark basement or garage that doesn't freeze... the link below will give you all the details for Christmas forcing.

But if you'd rather allow your bulbs to rest and bloom on their own schedule, just keep an eye on fall and winter leaf loss... and when your bulb rests, cut back on the watering... early spring should bring new growth and flower scapes... if your bulb has had a previous growing season with good enough care to recharge its energy.

I hope this helps you...

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Make Your Amaryllis Bloom Again

• cindeea
    14 years ago

YAY another CRAZY Amaryllis person!! KTP I love the names! Soo many of my bulbs are from other people, so I usually name them after the giver. My hubby thinks I am actually talking to people when I call my plants by name!!

• mariava7
    14 years ago

It is actually recommended to give cool dormancy to your seedlings after 2 growing seasons. This way, flower embryos, if there are any inside the bulb, could further develop and push out as a scape . This cool dormancy "enhances" this process. It is not necessary for your bulbs to flower as they will flower in their own time if they were not given this process.

KTP...Learn from this situation. Your Hippie bulbs are your best teachers.

• allstarsgymnast7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:) Thanks for the answers y'all! I knew I picked the right forum to ask this question. This forum seemed much more like a community than others I read.

My poor babies are probably so confused!! :-/ Next time, I'll read their signals...

Anyways... So a little early, like I thought/feared. I should probably just continue with dormancy then since their 2 weeks into it, right?

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I would allow them to continue resting if they're already in dormancy mode... no reason to confuse them further!

Maria is extremely experienced as a grower and breeder, so I would take her advice. She is lucky enough to grow in a nicer climate than I deal with... so I treat my collection as houseplants, and have supplemental lighting installed, and everything! Maria, on the other hand, grows her bulbs outdoors for a good portion of the year. I only wish I could!

This particular forum has a fantastic group of people! We're more like an online family than just a bunch of gardeners. I think you'll like it here... stick around! The Hippi Season is just getting started!

• allstarsgymnast7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alright. In dormancy they shall stay.

There's little chance for me to grow outdoors as well, being stuck in a dorm room roughly 9 months of the year!

I do indeed plan to stick around. The people in this forum are fountains of knowledge! I can stay on here for hours, quite literally, reading post after post. Y'all won't be getting rid of me anytime soon! :)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

We're happy to have you join us! The forum is just getting busy after a long summer of outdoor activity that translates into a quiet, slow pace here... those of us with a little extra time fill in with photos of our other gardening exploits, from roses to spring bulbs, new outdoor projects, the errant orchid in bloom indoors, our pets and families... and we wait for autumn to arrive, signaling the return of our regular members and a season of awe-inspiring Hippeastrum photography and shared growing tips!

When I first joined, I spent days reading the older posts, trying to learn as much as I could! There's a lot of great information packed in all those previous threads!

As you read, you'll see the changes some of us have gone through, searching for the perfect way to grow our bulbs in the environments we each have.

For me, those changes came in the form of experimenting with different mediums, and installing extra lighting so I could grow a wider variety of bulbs than just what would fit on the windowsill!

I have a son in college, so I know how busy and cramped your life is right now... but it won't be that way forever. You'll graduate and move on to bigger and better things... and hopefully, you'll take away some gardening experience and education from here, as well as many new friends from around the globe, and a passion for growing tender amaryllids!

If you aren't already addicted to Hippeastrums, you will be by the time we're done with you! We're an incorrigible, enabling group... but we do mean well! And, hey... there are much worse things to become addicted to! ;-)

• allstarsgymnast7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good, I'm glad I showed up at the right time! :) I have a phal. orchid that's in spike right now, so I've been visiting the Orchid forum as well. My other phal's just chilling out.

Cramped is definitely a good word to describe college right now. I can't wait to move on to the bigger and better things, but I don't want to have to say goodbye to all my wonderful friends! It'll be very bittersweet come May...

I plan to learn as much as I can from this site. Which means I'll probably be a life-long member! I'm a big fan of learning new things. It keeps life so interesting!!

Oh, I think the addiction and passion for amaryllis has started already! I've recently acquired some seeds so my little family is going to grow! I was reading more posts last night and came across this "C.H.A.D." y'all speak of... I've had my plant 3 months, and I will readily admit that C.H.A.D. has infected me! This forum did help spur on C.H.A.D. a little bit, but I know also it's a good support group! :)

Thanks again for all the help!!!

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, our 12 Step Program includes buying 12 new bulbs! :-)

But seriously... it's a wonderfully rewarding hobby! To care for our bulbs most of the year, and then to see those scape tips peeking out, signaling impending bloom! It's just so satisfying!

At first, my husband couldn't figure out what I was so excited about... until he witnessed all the gorgeous blooms, and the differences between them! Now, he's my enabler... along with everyone here! He even takes me to Orchid Festivals and helps me choose orchids... imagine that!

Be warned, though... my collection grew from 2 bulbs to over 75 within one year! I barely have the space, but I managed to cram them all in... and installing extra lighting helped!

The real friends you make in college will always be friends... technology makes it easy to keep in touch. We meet so many people throughout our lives... acquaintances will be many, but true friends will always be around... and even though you might lose touch for a while, they will pass through your life again. It's the ones that stick around through the bad times that you'll cherish.

At this very moment, I have a Phal "Sogo Grape Fireball" in bud! I'm so excited! I bought this one as a youngster at an Orchid Festival, and this will be its second bloom! The conditions here are less than favorable for orchid growing, so this is really a feather in my cap, so to speak! I'll post photos when the buds open!

• allstarsgymnast7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My apologies for not having a more timely response... I've been knocked out with a sinus infection and then the impending doom of make-up work. It's been wonderful... ha!

12 bulbs... how about 30-ish seeds? I thought I might give them a try. Now there are 3 little seeds taking root! It will definitely try my patience as well, knowing it'll be quite some time before they flower.

Our friends are quite a tight-knit group and I certainly hope the internet will help with keeping up on all the "goings on".

Yay! I'm glad your phal is in bud! That's so exciting! And that looks like a beautiful color! I think mine is working on getting some buds... The stem has gone from growing singly from node to node and this past weekend it has split at the node. Slowly and surely we are getting some buds going, I believe!

I would love to see pictures of the final bloom! A Sogo Grape Fireball phal might just be in my future! :)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

So sorry you were down with sinus issues... being sick is never fun. My grandkids were both recently sick with the flu, but they're recovering nicely. Imagine having two sick little ones at this time of year, while you are sick, too! Yikes!

This will actually be Phal Sogo Grape Fireball's second bloom... it's still fairly young. The color is a deep purple grape color, and it's so pretty! I'm still awaiting the bud opening... it won't be too much longer, though.

I post pictures of almost everything that blooms, and this will be no exception!

With today's cell phones, keeping in constant touch will be easy... photos can be taken and immediately sent, you can twitter and do all sorts of blogging or My Space, Facebook type stuff... technology makes it easy!

Seedlings teach patience... something every gardener needs. The long wait will be so worth it, though. Imagine how you'll feel when they first bloom... knowing it was your care that brought them to that stage! I hope it's a hobby that stays with you... it's so rewarding!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms