Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talalzahid

Growing amaryllis in saudi arabia

talalzahid
9 years ago

Hi everyone :)

I have a question in regard growing amaryllis.

I live in saudi arabia and the temperature can run from 40 F in winter up to 120 in the summer. the humidity from 40 up to 100 % and according to the chart i should be in area of zone 10a or more.

I purchased amaryllis bulb from holland 1 month ago. I did put it on pot (no fertilizer) and start watering it once a week and now it start the early stage of flowering.

1- Should I start watering it more often ?
2- Since we dont have freezing temperature would the plant go into dormant phase ?
3- right now I have it indoor where it is air-conditioned can I plant it out side ?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (4)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hello,

If your bulb is about to bloom with no leaves then I would continue to water it sparingly. If your bulb has leaves you can water it more.
    And, as it continues to grows more leaves you can step up on the watering.

While the bulb is flowering, I would definitely bring it into the house. When it is done flowering it should put all it's energy into growing leaves which must stay on the plant for at least 6 months, which builds up the bulb for it to bloom again. Do not cut any green leaves unless you want to force a dormancy after 6 months of growth.

You can also just let the bulb grow as an evergreen and never cut the leaves and don't force a dormancy, these bulbs have a mind of their own and I would let the bulb decide what it wants to do, which is what I do with most of mine.

In the good weather you can put the pot outside but in your extreme heat I would only give it about 3 or 4 hours of early morning sun and keep it shaded the rest of the day, and you should water it more if it is outside.

Or, you can just keep the bulb indoors in the air-conditioning just putting it in a sunny window. Indoor you may give your bulb as much sun as you'd like.

Even though I am from a totally different climate, growing your bulb indoors would be the same no matter where you live I should think.

There are others on this forum who live in extremely warm climates and hopefully they will impart how they treat their bulbs also.

I hope I haven't confused you, and good luck!!

Donnaâºâº

• talalzahid
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your detailed response :) well you kinda confused me lol.

I understood the watering part. however the leaf part

1-I thought I am suppose to cut the green leaf after the flowers die to only 4 inches long, but you are saying don't do that, right ?

2-If I left the leaf grow long, would it flower again ? after 6 months ?

3- does the flower part start every time from the bulb and make it way through the leaf ?

It's my first bulb :D

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hi,

Most definitely DO NOT cut the leaves after the flower blooms. The leaves must be kept alive, fed and watered for at least 6 months or so to produce another flower stalk.

I forgot to mention that you don't feed the bulb when it has no leaves as it will burn the roots with no leaves to take up and use the fertilizer.

The flower scape (flower stalk) will emerge from various places on the neck of the bulb, between the leaves or next to the leaves.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions, we were all new at this at one time!

Donnaâºâºâº

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Hi!
    Do a search on this forum for messages from Arif. He lives in Pakistan and grows his bulbs in the garden and in pots outdoors with the same challenges you face.
    It can be done!
    Kristi

Sponsored
More Discussions