Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajsblu_eyes

Mostly Reds, pic heavy

ajsblu_eyes
14 years ago

Hi guys, I've been holding back due to being crazy busy but here are some picture to show you what I have been enjoying.

{{gwi:433172}}
Little Devil

{{gwi:433173}}
Fanfare

{{gwi:433174}}
Fanfare group shot

{{gwi:433175}}
Santa Cruz

{{gwi:433176}}
Not Piquant, but Minerva

{{gwi:433177}}
Not Piquant, but Minerva & deformed

Will all subsequent bloomings stay deformed?

{{gwi:433178}}
I bought this from a box store it was labeled as Glimer but I don't think it is. Can anybody give me a name for it?

{{gwi:372399}}
Labeled as Full House but it does not look exactly like the picture, what do you guys think? See below picture.

{{gwi:433179}}
Picture label provided for Full House.

Sorry for the long post I'll do the other colors seperate.

AJ

Comments (12)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful reds!

It almost looks like your Gilmar might be a Full House... and I think that with proper care, the deformed Minerva will right itself next bloom cycle.

I love the group of Fanfares! Multiple scapes always look so pretty blooming together!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    14 years ago

Santa Cruz....how absolutely gorgeous!! Look at those ruffled edges!! Wow!

• Carl
    14 years ago

"Will all subsequent bloomings stay deformed?"
    No! Mostly the deformation is due to harmful environmental conditions and not a product of a genetic mutation. The other blooms on this stake should be fine, and you won't get corrupted seedlings from this bloom, the genetic material should be the same everywhere in the plant.
    Otherwise there would have happed an somatic mutation just in this bud, but the chances for that happening are close to zero ;)

Nice pics! I enjoy multicolored reds a lot, thank you!

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Great variations on red - I love that Santa Cruz too!
    Alana

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

betonklotz - All four flowers on the first scape are deformed like the one Minerva in the picture, so I didn't know if I should expect this to continue in future progeny. It is good to hear that this deformation is not genetic.

jodik - I agree the misnamed Glimar appears to be a Full House. As my labeled Full House appears to be of a Minerva strain I was a little confused as to what to expect for a Full House.

I am basking in the compliments for my babies (I know I am kookie but I love them)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

No, no, no! It's not at all kookie to be totally enamored and addicted to collecting, growing, breeding, trading, and enjoying Hippeastrum bulbs! In fact, I've expanded my collecting and growing to other tender bulbs, as well! I just can't get enough! :-)

My newest targets are Habranthes and Zephyranthes! Rain Lilies, as they're more commonly known... or Fairy Lilies! So far, I have a pot of pinks, and one of whites... I'm looking for yellows, and more pinks and whites of other varieties!

But it doesn't end there! Oh, no! I also love growing Scadoxus, Rhodophilia, Lycoris, Amaryllis Belladonna, Crinum, Clivia, Hymenocallis, and other tender amaryllids and bulbous type plants!

So, you're not kookie in the least! You're just one of us... a group of totally bulb addicted gardeners! And this is our Season... our time to shine! :-)

• Carl
    14 years ago

AJ, that's strange. Well, then this scrape will most likely had a rough time before it emerged. It's a newly purchased plant right? The only thing you can do is to wait for the next scrape. I would say the next flowers will be regular, if not there's serious something wrong with that bud ... but still, quite interesting. I'd love to know what went wrong when the bud developed.

Jodik, you got space left? ;) I will also let my collection of bulbs grow, but just plants that I can keep outside since I now got a nicer small garden!
    I'll grow all sorts of "spring geophytes/cryptophytes" (I'd call them) European Narcissus, Kaiser's Crown, various Liliums etc. I like a lot these garden herbaceous perennials, hopefully I'll get lots of nice flowering plants cheap in spring.

• taz56
    14 years ago

Very nice !
    Susan

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Indoors, I have little to no space left! Outdoors, we have plenty of space... but it's filling up fast! We have extensive perennial and rose beds, raised beds for vegetables, newly planted English style rose beds, shade areas, sunny areas... you name it!

Outdoors, our focus is roses... we're trying to build a small business growing and selling own-root hardy roses... but we also grow quite an assortment of spring blooming bulbs and Lilies, including Tulips, Daffodils, Alliums, Crocus, Aconites, Scilla, Camassia, and many other hardy bulb types. We have beds of Standard, Intermediate, and Miniature Iris... Daylilies that bloom from early spring to late fall... Hostas and other assorted perennials and blooming shrubs... it's quite colorful from the time frost subsides in early spring, to the time that frost returns in late fall! Even the winter landscape holds interest with the stalks of ornamental grasses and colorful shrub branches, and the seed heads of many perennials.

Indoors, it's a jungle! I struggle to keep shifting pots around so different bulbs and plants can have the light they require. And I'm always trying to shove just one more pot in somewhere! You'd be surprised how many clay pots can be jammed in, shoulder to shoulder!

Yes, I'm completely addicted to growing things! I love gardening, whether indoors or out... with my main focus being bulbs, orchids, and roses! And now that our children are grown and have their own families, I have more time to devote to gardening! It's so fascinating, and so relaxing... it's good for the soul!

• Carl
    14 years ago

We're just now getting this new garden and it's untilled for some time now. We have to put a lot of effort in to get something out of it. We're so far 5 friends. The garden has the right size for us and the best thing is that there are already some of old apple trees that still look healthy and two cherry trees that'd need to be cut.
    When the others will care about vegetables I'll plant herbaceous border and a rockery with with hardy cacti (here no one has these, I allready have two Opuntia and two Echinocereus that just wait for the spring to arrive!), I hope to get a lot of natural species. If you like Iris, here are pictures from wild flowering ones I made: {{gwi:433169}}, {{gwi:433170}}, {{gwi:433171}}

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Very beautiful, indeed! We also have a few Siberian Iris plants here and there throughout the gardens, and a few small, but very lovely, Dutch Iris clumps! I love Iris... all types!

We actually had a very lovely tall white Iris blooming in October! We try to keep a variety of plants in the gardens, so there will be color all season long. From very early to very late.

Cacti will be nice, especially because you don't see that every day in a northern garden!

When I first began to garden here, I figured it would be best to invest the time and effort, and do it right. So, I laid out my bed patterns, stripped off the sod, double dug the soil, added sand and peat and plenty of composted manure and yard waste. It was hard work! But it was so worth the effort! And once I began planting the beds, I mulched them with wood mulch. That was 4 years ago, and now, the mulch is beginning to decompose and enrich the soil, along with the compost I add every spring. I re-mulch in the late summer or fall, mainly to help protect the plants from the winter cold.

It pays to begin with all that back-breaking work, even though it's rough! It makes for a lot less work later, especially in the weed and grass pulling, and it makes for nice loamy soil to plant in!

I'm sorry, AJ... we seem to have hijacked your thread, and gone off topic to talk about gardens and indoor jungles! I hope you don't mind...

I'm including a link to my Photo Album... 118 pages filled with bulbs, roses, gardens, and a few family pictures. Some of the photos show the before and after of a few garden beds... they're arranged seasonally from the last page to the first, but in no other particular order... enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photo Album - 118 Pages of Gardening and Family!

• Carl
    14 years ago

I would like to try out a method that's called "mulch total" where every piece of open earth is closed with a layer of mulch. For that you can use hay and in this garden there is much hay to get ... but I have no idea how to store it over winter. The hay is of course decomposing quite fast and has to be refreshed often. It has a lot of advantages: You don't have to dig up the soil deep, the critters in it, mostly a huge population of earthworms will do the work for you. In the vegetable beds, the concurrence is limited because plants will have to struggle through the hay layer. And at least the evaporation is reduced, apart from newly planted beds you won't have to water in our humid climate.

I've looked though your photo album and we seem to have a similar taste in plants ... I love Clematis, the oriental poppy and the roses (I don't really like double flowers but with roses I get it.) and of course all your tulips and Iris.

All right I'll now leave this thread to the red Hippeastrum varieties.

Sponsored
More Discussions