11 years ago

Exotica is beautiful!

{{gwi:433185}}

{{gwi:433186}}

{{gwi:433187}}

Comments (17)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I just love the copper color of this bloom. And...she is an excellent seed or pollen donor. All my Exotica cross seedlings are very vigorous.
    K

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love her too. This is my first Exotica and Exotica bloom and I'm thrilled!

I was hoping to get some comments of using her in breeding so thanks Kristi.
    Right now I have only Naranja and White Garden blossoming, Jewel and Flamingo Star will follow soon; I was hoping to cross her with Jungle Star for example, or Exotic Star, or Lemon Star - with Sweet Lilian I'm not going to bother - but they won't make it for this set of flowers. There's another scape on it's way, maybe then...

11 years ago

Put Jewel pollen on her!!!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Exotica is truly a unique and beautiful flower and you've captured it beautifully. I wouldn't be without one!
    I bought my first Exotica about 3 years ago and during the summer it got devoured by the NBF but luckily there was a small offset which I grew to bloom for me last year albiet only two flowers as it was still small.

I agree that Exotica makes healthy seedpods and vigirous seedlings. I have from my first blooming some Exotica x Lady Jane that have some size to them and I'm hoping they will bloom in the near future. I also have some selfs hanging around here somewhere and last year I mated Exotica with Mocca/Cappuccino and have seedling of those crosses too.

You've got a great line-up of possible mates for her and I know you'll have fun as her pollen works great too.

Here is my Exotica from last year..only two flowers as the bulb was still small but I found this time she was more curvaceous than the first time.

Donna

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jewel, yes, I like the idea. And I really like Jewel.
    I've been hoping to see pictures of Jewel's seedlings, any out there blooming or about to?!

Donna your Exotica looks lovely! I hope mine would develop into such a beauty. So fortunate that you were able to save a part of her through her offset. There's always a special bond then.
    With all those exciting crosses, ones already performed and others yet to take place, how are you guys able to sleep?! I can't.

By the way, if I needed to, how should I go about storing pollen? Is it how difficult? Do I need equipment of laboratory standard?

11 years ago

I store mine in gelatin capsules in the refrigerator. I've also used empty, clean pill bottles. Small zip top bags also work.
    K

11 years ago

I usually cut the pollen sacs, many times before they even open if I wish to pollenate on that particular flower and let it sit for a few days to dry out in a tiny glass or plastic container. Then I just use those miniature zip-lock baggies and they're easy to write the name and date on and into the fridge..no rocket science needed here as long as you've got clean dishes to start with...I usually keep it for the entire blooming season and then toss it. I don't really know what exactly the shelf life is for this pollen but obviously the fresher the better but I'd say off the top of my head that 3 month would still find it viable..
    You can freeze it too, I have some "Tinkerbell" pollen somewhere in the freezer that I never used..at least I think I do...

Once again, this is just my method I'm sure others may indeed be a bit more scientific...

Donna

11 years ago

Lena, the first year I had Exotica she had a conjoined bloom! Interesting!
    K {{gwi:433188}}

11 years ago

PS...her color was also very pale, but she has since gone on to have gorgeous, rich blooms.
    K

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for great tips and encouragement. I have plenty of zip-lock bags and now I'm going to put them in this use, too.
    I think storing 'Exotica's pollen would be a good way to start, knowing it is of good quality.

11 years ago

I hope you have the minis...

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine are a bit bigger, hope they serve the purpose.
    First batch of E. pollen harvested and tagged and stored. Hubby is seriously thinking of getting us a another fridge ...

11 years ago

...hehehe....just remember, NO APPLES with hippis!
    :-)
    K

• edubose98
    11 years ago

Is apples the only veg/fruit to worry about in the same fridge?

11 years ago

Ask Google!! OK...I did it for you!
    :-)

The good folks at KitchenAid (ie, mixers and fridges)say, "These fruits and vegetables produce high amounts of ethylene and should be stored away from other items:
    apples
    nectarines
    apricots
    papayas
    avocados
    passion fruit
    cantaloupe
    peaches
    cherimoyas
    pears"

So...there you have it!!
    ;-)
    K

11 years ago

Lena,

It would appear from a few google searches that just about all fruits emit ethylene gas..apples may be the biggest culprit though..
    Actually, I wasn't aware that most fruits and veggies emit some amounts of ethylene gas as they ripen...

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: ethylene gas emitting fruits...

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gee, it seems we really do need that second fridge! Quitting hippie-business is out of the question, there is no turning back from this road I've taken, I'm having the time of my life...
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate all this info.

And Lena writes: DEAR SANTA...

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions