Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenanen

Fragrant orange/salmon/coral varieties?

lenanen
11 years ago

My "White" turned out to be White-Not. It is a delightful specimen though, of a orange/salmon/coral shade difficult to describe, flowers are between small and medium in size, five of them in an umbel, with two scapes and third on it's way. Maybe Desire?

It has a lovely, soft and sweet scent, not overpowering but it's definitely there. Does Desire have a fragrance? Other possibilies?

Comments (18)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

May we have some pictures please?

11 years ago

Lena,

Here are some pictures of my Desire. The bud was gorgeous with all those tendrills and the flowers were quite good sized but, I didn't measure and I can't remember if it had any fragrance. These flowers were a coraly orange and in the right light the midrib glowed lavender! I got this as a mislabel and I could be wrong about whether or not this is indeed Desire but..if I remember correctly.. I got an ID on her right here...

Donna

{{gwi:433454}}

{{gwi:433455}}

{{gwi:433456}}

Does this look like yours?

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Ooooh Donna,

Me likey!!!!

Fred

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photos will follow, I promise. :D

Your Desire is stunnig, Donna, it's absolutely gorgeous! What a mislabel-jackpot!! The colors are just amazing.

My White-Not doesn't have those colors, specially the lavender midstripe is missing completely. It has a faint lighter stripe on the two bottom petals, but very faint. It is of a more uniform color altogether.
    Also the flower is bit more cupped, or hooded, that might be the correct term. This could be caused by stress; poor thing didn't have any roots at all.

But your Desire, I love it. * a pounding heart *
    I remember seeing a photo of Elvira Aramayo, it took my breath away, I think there was a resemblance to your D. and now I can't find that picture anywhere. ( I don't mean the one on Warmenhoven site.)

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found H.'Babyface'... Very little info about this variety...

Here is a link that might be useful: H. 'Babyface'

11 years ago

OOOOH Their picture of Fledermaus looks just like my Cappuccino/Mocca and their picture of Desire looks more peachy in color than mine was..mine was more coral.

My Desire didn't bloom last year and I'm hoping it does this year as it will be interesting to see if the lavender midribs are as prominent as they were the first year.The bulb appears healthy but smaller than when I got it and it has set 2 offsets so if I can get them to all bloom at once that would be quite a show!
    As for Babyface maybe it's what you have but I don't think it's the same as mine, but as the picture is so small it's difficult to tell.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures...

Donna

11 years ago

I like this one!!!

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So do I! It is bred by Penning I think. I'd love to get one, or two...
    And I don't have Fledermaus/Mocca neither, it would be a must if I'd ever see it available, anywhere.

Totally OT but I'm so thrilled right now because I just discovered a bud in 'Sweet Lilian' and 'Jungle Star'!! They are both from last year so I can take some credit for this. Also 'Flamingo Star' is about to bloom soon, also bought last year.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I must have a half dozen H. Desire as mislables.

Yesterday I cut back (my way) about 40 bulbs...and I hope to do about the same number today. Hard on the back! Bought extra large bottles of 70% rubbing alcohol for dipping the knife in. Hope to get the GH up this weekend. We are supposed to be in high 30s mid next week.
    K

11 years ago

K,
    What do your Desires look like..do they look like mine?

L,
    Be sure to post your Sweet Lilian if you can..I think I really like that one and Jungle Star..both varieties I don't have and would like!
    And I think we all would love a Tarantular!! But I guess it's just produced for the cut flower market ??

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Definitely I will!! She is one of my favourites, but then, aren't they all...

This afternoon, after work, I tried to get a descent picture of my orange but failed. Tomorrow I shall prevail!

11 years ago

Here's my photo...I think this looks the same as yours.
    K {{gwi:378536}}

11 years ago

It could be I guess but, I'm not sure..yours is very pretty at any rate...the difference in lighting probably makes the big difference...

11 years ago

yep...mine's not in bright light like yours.
    K

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here we are, meet my White-Not -

{{gwi:433457}}

Nothing as spectacular as Donna's or Kristi's but very ok, and she sure brings joy and color into the house.
    Any new ideas of her id now?

11 years ago

Lena,

Do you think it could possibly be Naranja? You can see the different effect you get from different lighting...all the same bulb, different years and different lighting...

Donna

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it could! All of those color shades match; great pictures Donna, thanks!!
    I tried with the flash and in front of the windows facing south and facing east... The one I posted was the closest to the "natural look" I could get.

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I can label my orange Naranja; found a thread where Donna mentions a fragrance in hers...

Thank you all!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County