Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

A Pixie problem - bad news/good news

Dear Listers,
I had posted in another thread that I had a problem with one of my "H. Pixie" bulbs. I contacted Living Gardens to discuss a replacement.

It was brought to my attention by the president of Living Gardens that there was a mix up in their receipt of H. Pixie versus some other hybrid from the grower. This has been made evident by the blooms in their test gardens (see image), which had not been reported prior to shipping bulbs. Living Gardens apparently was sent the incorrect bulbs by the exporter and they will not be offering H. Pixie this season.

These small white blooms still have loads of potential. They are most likely H. Panatella, H. Trentino, or a similar "small white". Living Gardens will work with anyone who bought H. Pixie; they are sorry for the inconvenience. They were quite disappointed about the mixup, and understand how disappointed we may be as well. Please contact living gardens customer service (customerservice@livinggardens.com) if you have further questions.

The good news, I received this morning directly from Charles Barhoorn, who also apologized for the error related to the mispacking of "H.Pixie". Small quantities of Thai Thai may be offered in 2014, but certainly should be available in 2015! Thai Thai is undergoing extensive multiplication in the lab. They thought they might have some bulbs to offer this year, but the bulbs were too small. Some may be available next year...but 2015 isn't that far off!!

Mr. Barnhoorn went on to state that they have pulled a record number of new crosses this year that have been marked for multiplication and eventual introduction to production. This means that the next few years should be filled with exciting new Hippeastrum hybrids.

Sorry to be the messenger.
K

Comments (34)

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

Hi Kristi,

While it is a bummer that we didn't get "Pixie", I'm very excited for the goodies yet to come!!! Imagine that...more CHAD!!!!! lol

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Major Bummer!! well...."things" happen don't they. Living Gardens acted on good faith and are disappointed too, since they were billed as the exclusive seller of H. Pixie. I don't fault them and they are making good on replacements. Thai Thai in 2015!!!!
    :-)
    K

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

I also got an e-mail from Living Gardens about Pixie. I asked them if they had any idea what the bulbs are. I told them I could always call it 'Pixie - Not'.
    maida

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

HI,

Well I just got my email and was given the three options that I'm sure all of us received. I assume they don't want the bulbs returned if we choose a refund (?) and if we want replacements we would have to choose from the Hadeco bulbs; I would assume they may be getting reimbursed from Hadeco for any bulbs they have to send out to rectify this situation. They also state that they will refund all applicable postage. Of course I ordered 3 of these bulbs for a friend in Europe and that postage was a killer so that is a total loss...
    So... I had placed 2 different orders for these bulbs at different times and they are only referring to one of my orders. I guess I'll have to go back and send them documentation of both orders. Tomorrow....

Donna

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

White one is nice, but... I already expected mine to be this nice yellowish color.
    Does it mean we have to send our bulbs back to living gardens to receive refund? And why should we be spending time to do it if the mistake is on their end?

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Bummer. The email I received described the impostor as "charming miniature amaryllis, a variety that is both unique and unavailable to others." Based on the photo, it does not seem so unique from other white sonatinis.

Bill

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

I received the e-mail and came here to see what everyone thought. I ordered Intokazi along with Pixie so I already have a white flower waiting to come, so I don't know. I have to admit I was disappointed that "Pixie" was a mini-bulb. My Green Dragon never bloomed again and the leaves struggle to grow, so my limited experience with minis are bad.

I'm thinking of requesting a different variety, even if it means they want my "Pixie" bulb back. I just don't know what that means. Most of their interesting amaryllis are expensive. I guess I'll reply to them and ask what it can be replaced with.

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

I just got a very nice e-mail from these folks as well. They were very nice to offer a rebate, a substitute or just keep this cute little gem. Whatever it is, I think I'm just going to grow it and be happy with it. They didn't do anything, but they did and highly respect them for that.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I asked for a refund. If they want the bulbs returned, they can have em. I have burnt quite a number of Hadeco bulbs already for the past years anyway. Yall make sure you seperate these "Non - Pixie" bulbs away from your clean collection.

10 years ago

Hi,

I just received an answer to my email to Living Gardens for a refund for the 5 bulbs that I purchased.

They DON'T want the not-pixie bulbs back and she graciously agreed to credit my credit card with the amount for the 5 bulbs. I guess the postage is a total loss but you can't really hold them responsible for that as none of this is their fault. We'll keep the US postal service in business for another year....;-)
    I think they are handling this situation admirably and I guess each person should discuss with them which method they choose for remuneration for this problem.

Oh well, you win some and you loose some...maybe these tiny white bulbs will bring us all good luck!

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

I'm thinking that Hadeco should make Thai Thai available to all purchasers of the not-a-pixie bulbs. Tiny white hippeastrum are just not the same as tiny spidery yellow ones but Thai Thai hmmmmm :).
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe the list could request special advance notice of when they will go on sale.... Sort of like making us priority/VIP customers!! That would be awesome.

I am excited to see what new hybrids will be offered in the next couple of years.

K

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

What color is Thai Thai? The picture was removed from the link given in another topic.
    I haven't contacted Living Gardens about pixie yet, but I will.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm looking at the photo set to me by Hadeco. It's a peachy pink and looks a bit yellow and white in the middle of the tepals. The throat looks green. The photo was taken from an angle but that should be pretty accurate. The colors in his photo are more vibrant than I recall seeing previously on the site of cultivars.
    K

Original Author
    10 years ago

I am working from my phone so it took a bit to find this. Here's H. Thai Thai.
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai Thai on Hadeco site

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Kristi,

You mentioned earlier that you received an email from Charles Barhoorn, Hadeco, and that he apologized for the mix-up. Would you feel comfortable asking him if this group could purchase Thai Thai (possibly through Living Gardens) earlier than 2014/2015. I would certainly be willing to beta test Thai Thai in the US for him :)
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Jodi,
    I think passed along the message that the bulb is being propagated and grown out. I won't ask if we can get special treatment. I may ask Living Gardens to notify one of us when it arrives, next fall (if it does). Bulbs usually arrive from the growers in late summer early autumn.
    K

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Oh well, was worth dreaming about :)

-J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Many of us have been drooling over H. Thai Thai for years....don't think you're the only one who will be anxiously awaiting its arrival!!
    K

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link, Kristi!

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Kristi,

I know - that's why I asked :)
    -J

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

I decided to settle for a refund. When I asked what I could replace it with, they said they had 14 other South African varieties I could pick from. After looking through them, I felt that nothing stood out like Pixie did. I told them I'd take a stab at Pixie next year or whenever it comes out.

They didn't ask for the bulb back but I would've sent it back if they asked because my "Pixie" doesn't appear to be sending out a scape. Just the tips of three leaves so far.

I'm thinking of nicknaming mine as "Pixie Bust" if there's no real name for them. A play on Pixie Dust and obviously BUST because it wasn't Pixie. ;)

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Very funny Dragonstone :)

Although I am disappointed, dealing with the people from Living Gardens has been an absolute pleasure and I would not hesitate ordering from them again.
    -J

10 years ago

I agree, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. Today they credited my credit card with the amount of the bulbs plus postage..can't ask for more than that!

Donna

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I opted for replacements but sorry to report NOT A SINGLE one sprouted or bloomed. I wish now that I had opted for a refund. While Living Gardens staff was polite and prompt in communications, I would not consider dealing with them again. The replacement process did not go smoothly and to not have bloomed, it's just too much to forgive.

• dragonstone
    9 years ago

So I take it that Pixie never came out a year later, eh? Is there further information on it, like it was delayed, or has this variety pretty much vanished to the ether?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, it was stated either here or another post that H. Pixie would not be offered because they felt that they had something better coming....H. Thai Thai,

H. Honeybee is actually a named Hadeco hybrid, so there goes my theory about H554!

I have emailed South Africa to inquire about these.
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 9:58

• dragonstone
    9 years ago

Ohh, that's too bad. Thanks for updating!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the response that just came back:

"The stocks of Thai Thai are finally coming along well. Having said that, we have not yet decided whether to offer it for 2015 or to wait one extra year for the mid- size bulbs to reach a larger size. We will make this decision next month once we can see how the growth on the bulbs is progressing."

So, we won't see it for another 1-2 years.
    K

• JoshY
    8 years ago

Welp, it doesn't seem like Thai Thai is being offered this year either :(

Oh well, I've been waiting 5 years, what is one more?

Original Author
    8 years ago

I have just emailed Hadeco to ask. Will keep you posted.

• JoshY
    8 years ago

Thanks Kristi, hopefully someone is going to carry it this year!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Joshy, you need to set up your Houzz profile so that others can message you....