Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Royal Colors package arrived!

Posted by anna_in_quebec z4 QC (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 10:25

Once again, my Royal Colors order arrived safe and sound yesterday, and exactly 2 weeks from the mailing notice. The bulbs all look great, 8 in total. One or 2 don't have many roots, but from experience, I know this rarely impedes growth, and the roots develop fairly quickly.

It was like Christmas! Here's what i got:
Brazza
Summertime
Amorice
Aphrodite
Rozetta
Temptation
Monte Carlo
Flamenco Queen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Royal Colors package arrived!

Anna, nice! Those are going to be some good looking blooms. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures (particularly of Amorice)!

Alana

o

(((Anna)) how exciting for you!! It really does sound like Christmas! I don't know if you are interested, but I came up with a successful rooting procedure for bulbs with little/no roots. I'll find the post where I use perlite in an inverted top of a plastic water/soda bottle.

o

Please do, Cindee - I'd appreciate that!

o

How exciting that you got your bulbs! Mine have not arrived yet through I know they have been sent. I have many of hte same choices...all the newest varieties and ordered enough of that pretty pink double to give as gifts to my sister and daughters.

o

Anna I cut the tops off plastic bottles and invert, filling the neck area with perlite. Place the bottle spout on palm and fill neck with perlite, add a little water, let drip out and perlite will swell blocking the neck. Set rootless bulb on top of perlite and finish filling the plastic top use shells, stones, beads to keep the bulb/bulblett in place. Set whole thing in a glass or bottom of bottle or in soil being careful to not imerse in water. Fill bottom cup with water just below where the bulb sets. I will also dig a small hole in soil fill 1/2 with perlite then set the plastic top with bulb in hole.
Make sense? The roots seem to just grow knowing there is moisture waiting an inch or so below their basal plate.
The plastic and perlite also support the bulb until roots develop.
Perlite filled bottle top
From 2010-2011 Amaryllis

Set in bottle bottom with a little water covering neck of bottle top
From 2010-2011 Amaryllis

2 Perlite seated bulblets set in soil with the mama
From 2010-2011 Amaryllis

I have received large rootless bulbs and for them, I use a quart or 1/2 litre size bottle...works just the same! Oh and I keep in window or sheltered area where rain won't over fill or float them until well rooted.

o

Cindee, Do you ever use rooting hormone? I used hormone on all of my Maguires order and half of them rooted and the rest are taking their time. Tells me nothing. Your method looks interesting..I think I'll give it a try without rooting hormone.

Donna

o

Hi Donna, I actually first tried this method on a Maguires bulb that had no roots at all when I received it. Except I used a root cup(from Xuan for rooting Violet seedlings-I believe) only I packed it in perlite and forgot about the thing. About 2 months later it had grown tremendous roots but I had to smash the china cup because it grew it's roots through all the little holes and got stuck. I use rooting hormone on a lot of different cuttings, but have NEVER tried it on an Amaryllis. Interesting it only sometimes worked, Donna. Try this method, it really does work. You just must be certain to leave the bulb/bulblet be and do not let too much moisture in to cause rotting.

o

Oh, congrats, Anna. It's so exciting to have your "babies" safely delivered!

I got an email from Paul saying my package was re-sent yesterday. I'm so eagerly waiting for it.

I made similar choices as yours. Hope we all will have great-looking blooms for Xmas.

Xuan

o

My package was sent yesterday :) YAY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here