Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bveronico

It's not resting :-/

brooklynbonnie
9 years ago

So this is my second season with my Red Lion. lt was purchased last Fall, bloomed as expected, and grew leaves. It went outside in Spring into the "ground" (barrel planter with other plants) and loved it. I dug it up in September and planted in a new clay pot to bring inside. It had 10 or 11 leaves and lots of healthy roots. I realized a few weeks after that I should have it resting if I wanted Winter blooms so put it in the cooler, dark basement. After another few weeks I started removing leaves as they yellowed. A week ago it had the last leaves removed. At that time I also wanted to cut off the long neck to clean it up more.

I noticed after cutting off the neck that it had a scape starting. The tip had just reached the shoulders/neck. So it's growing? Today I went down to check on it and perhaps it grew or perhaps the drying layers around it just shrank away a little, but the tip is slightly above (2mm) the cut off level now. Should I bring it up to a window and water? I wouldn't mind having it flower sooner, but I thought it is supposed to get at least 6 weeks of actual rest, and it's only had barely 4 weeks.

I am most concerned that if I bring it up now, it may abort the scape and just not continue growing for whatever reason.

What would you do?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions