Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brigarif

Carefree Amaryllis cultivation

brigarif Khan
13 years ago

Hi,

I have resolved to;

Not to purchase any imported bulbs, as they are mislabeled and have a poor survival rate.

Very selective hybridization and seed exchange.

Breed them freely and do not bother about the mortality, let new faces replace the old ones.

Go for doubles, the singles will be there as collaterals.

Arif

Comments (8)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Dear Arif,
    You are so wise. Your garden is so full of such beautiful Hippeastrum, and they thrive in the ground at your home. You have made many beautiful crosses and I know the coming years will bring many many more. So nice to be able to enjoy the blooms and the "hobby" without obsessing over it as so many of us do. I found the first few years I took maticulous notes over the crosses I made. Now I am not crossing many (but I note it when I do) and am waiting for my 2-3 year olds to bloom. If a label has faded to the point I can't read it, I just remark it with "?" and move on!

You could teach many of us lessons that it took you decades to learn. Sometimes we just need to enjoy the destination and not worry so much about the journey! Many of us would have difficulties adopting your approach, but you continue to amaze, delight, and surprise us with your lovely blooms. Please don't ever stop!
    :-)
    Kristi

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

I so agree with Kristie! And any time you post pics of your crosses it fills the day with their beauty and the dream that I might someday have my crosses surprising and delighting me like yours do. (It will still be awhile here since I had inadequate light and warmth the first years).

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Thank you my friends.
    Every time I sow seeds I wonder if I will be there to see the result ? Well what if I am gone, there will be others who will admire and remember me for the gift. My problem for space is also solved. I have established a small hotel and a restaurant, where I have started to plant flowering trees, shrubs, bushes, vines and perennials in addition to annuals. Only selected bulbs will be kept at home, the rest will be shifted there every year.
    THE PLACE
    {{gwi:433925}}
    {{gwi:433926}}
    {{gwi:433927}}
    {{gwi:433928}}
    Within next few years I intend to make it one of the most attractive places in Lahore.
    Arif

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Arif, I like your resolutions... just in time for the new year. I agree that by following those you will take much of the stress out of growing. And I agree on the doubles. Good luck on your new endeavor - I'm sure with your talent for gardening it will be a great opportunity to share the beauty of your flowers with others. Sounds like a good business opportunity as well!

Alana

• jackie_o
    13 years ago

Arif I know you said no more imports, but do you have Dancing Queen? I got a great percentage of doubles using her pollen.

Congratulations on your new endeavor. I know it will be beautiful.

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

But Kristi, it is the journey that brings the day to day joys in life with each one being a mini-destination in an of itself....you may never make it to the destination as you first imagined it, but if the trip was worthwhile then it doesn't really matter as you enjoyed the path that you took :o) Dan

Arif, that sounds like a wonderful place and I am sure your landscaping will be wonderful!!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Nice sentiment Dan - that's one to remember :-)

• brigarif Khan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jackie,
    Yes.
    My doubles.

Sponsored
More Discussions