Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Happy Thanksgiving!

To my Hippi friends who are my "family", enjoy your Thanksgiving day and enjoy the blessing of blooms!

K

Comments (5)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

My sentiments exactly...

Donna

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Just stopping in to say hi, and to wish everyone a very wonderful Thanksgiving!

My NBF bulb loss was too depressing... but I finally got up the nerve to go through every single pot and see what was lost and what could be salvaged. I lost too may to count, but managed to salvage many of my favorites and gift bulbs, and found several viable bulblets hiding under the soil surface in many pots.

Anyway... have a wonderful Thanksgiving... or should that be, Thanksgrowing?! :-)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't believe you got NBF in your house!!! There goes the theory that growing them inside offers protection!!

Hugs,
    K

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I know, right?! I was as shocked as anyone would be!

We have no screen on the one window I can open wide that offers us a nice exchange of fresh air for stale, so it could have come in that way. It also might have hitched a ride in something brought inside, or some bulbs purchased. It also may have flown in from a downstairs door that is left open for dogs to wander in and out, and then flown up the stairs...

The possibilities are too many to pinpoint, but I have begun a very strict regimen of a systemic even though I hate to use chemicals if I don't have to. I think I just have to.

I looked up the NBF's range within the USA, and it's here. It likes Daffodils, and we have lots of those... among other bulb types.

It was my bad, not using a systemic to guard against everything, including indoors. I only used it on my outside potted plants. I just didn't think the possibility of it getting in here was that much of a threat. I guess these things do happen, though...

Actually, it's been a bit of an opportunity in disguise. I'm not getting any younger, and I'm losing my ability to do so much... I'm getting weaker and less able to move like I used to, juggling so many jobs and projects... so keeping a smaller collection is a good thing. It's much more manageable this way.

Hippeastrums are like an addiction... you get one, and it's so wonderful, so gorgeous, and so easy to grow that you go nuts... like many of us do... and you acquire every single variety that strikes your fancy! Pretty soon, you have so many pots you need to rotate them in and out of dormancy and storage, and you're trading and trying to fit just one more pot in somewhere! It's a great addiction, as addictions go... there are way worse things we could be doing... but, at some point, you have to realize that enough is enough!

Well, I do, at least... I'm limited in space, and limited in ability. It's okay, though... it allows me to keep a much closer eye on a smaller collection of bulbs and plants.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and didn't get trampled if they went shopping today! ;-)

Gosh, I could never brave those kinds of crowds to Christmas shop... I just hate crowds!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Be careful using systemics in the house. My labels absolutely advise not to. They even say not to use it in the greenhouse, so the pots only get a dose when they go onto the side yard in the spring.

I imagine the fumes could do you in. Remember the guy (YEARS AGO) who asked if I was trying to do in my coworkers!?

hehehehehe
    K