Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johns42

Fall Star

John Spagnoli
10 years ago

Does anyone know if the pollen from this flower is viable.

Comments (10)

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

I have pollinated several varieties. A couple have aborted, but a couple of others appear more promising, but it is too early to be certain. Have you made any attempts?

• John Spagnoli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried to pollinate the Fall Star flower with Green Dragon. Right now after 3 weeks the seed pods are turning yellow. I intend to use the pollen on a Lima cybister. Keep my fingers crossed!!

John

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

John,

You might have better results with Lima but in my case I haven't yet been successful getting seedpods to form on my Limas but I know other have. This year I have a well rooted bulb from last season and it is about to bloom so I shall try again. Being well rooted I have great expectations!! I am going to use aulicum which is of course is a parent of your Fall Star.

Donna

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Hi All,

Does anyone know what this may be? My Fall Star bloomed and it doesn't look like johns42's nor like the picture Komoriya had in the auction.

{{gwi:433971}}

{{gwi:433972}}

Thanks for any help.

Nancy

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy,

First of all, I like that flower!

Secondly, I think that your bulb's flower looks like this Komoriya photo of 'Fall Star.' What do you think?

Cheers,

Blanca

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy,

I too think your flower is very pretty!! If it were mine, I would be quite pleased as I don't recall seeing any aulicum hybrids that are pink!!

It does appear to be a perfect match for Blanca's picture and I have never seen this particular picture before.
    Perhaps the differences in growing cultures results in this difference in color.

There are some recent pictures of Fall Star on this website and you can see that they are quite pale but definitely not the lovely pinkish hue of yours. (below)

Perhaps the next time it blooms for you it will be more orange, so enjoy it!

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Star

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for posting that picture Blanca. Your picture doesn't look anything like the picture that I saved from his auction. (Is it a he?) I does look pretty much like what have flowering. I wasn't complaining about it as I actually love it. Very clean and classy! Like me....NOT!

Thank you Donna for the link. I can see that I do indeed have a Fall Star...but...I do like mine much better! Love the pinkish and hope it stays that way.

A couple of weeks ago, my H aulicum flowered and I was very happy with that one as well.

Anyone else get any Royal Color bulbs yet? I got a box Saturday and was surprised to see only about half of my order. Some that are here are in a hurry to grow too. :) I'm hoping the rest come Tuesday. Christmas is coming early this year!!! :)

Nancy

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Nancy,
    Great news that some RC orders are showing up on doorsteps. They told me my order was split into two shipments. Hope mine come soon!
    K

PS, your Fall Star is much more beautiful than the photo on the auction site was.

• mitsukiwi
    9 years ago

Thanks Kristi! I agree! The picture I have saved of Fall Star is red...very similar to aulicum so that's why I was confused.

As for RC...I am glad to hear you were forewarned yours was coming in 2 boxes. If I got an email stating that, I somehow missed it. Not surprising with my brain overload. lol I have to admit, I was a bit concerned when I only got some of my order.

Sponsored
More Discussions