Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Help Me! Hippeastrum 'Spotty'

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any material of this cultivar? I'd trade my left lung for this one!!!!!!

I'm posting a link with a picture at the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spotty!

Comments (17)

• haweha
    13 years ago

I will not be able to help you on this occasion -
    quite the opposite: I shall make it worse,
    disclosing to you that I saw one specimen of this, in bloom. The flowers (2/scape) where LARGER as than you would expect from the picture, and yes, these were incredibly beautiful spiders. This cultivar WAS (or is still being) traded by Kiepenkerl, Germany. The same company would provide "Germa" too, that they advertised both cultivars in a Garden Journal, but this is 20+ y ago.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hans,

I do believe this is a selection of H. neopardinum, I've read H. stylosum but the pictures I've seen looking nothing of the sort.

I've found something stating that H. "Spotty" was a ludwig registered cultivar, I contacted Ludwig in hopes they could give me some clarity. This Keipenkerl, are they a distributor? I have a feeling this beautiful cultivar is no longer in production. I can only hope that I can find a clean line of genetics after all these years.

Josh

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

The only thing i can show you about of this cultivar is another pic:{{gwi:433990}}

But i search too! :-(

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is actually a different "Spotty", beautiful none the less :)

• haweha
    13 years ago

But you admit that this is not spotted at all?
    It is a Hybrid of H.papilio and H.cybister, and it looks like "Jungle Star"=(a false)"Papilio Improved" [J.L.Doran 1997] OR "Lima" [F.Meyer2001] or it is even one of these two.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hans who are you directing at? I'm confused :)

"But you admit that this is not spotted at all?"

I've found that Hippeastrum "Spotty" was actually a hybrid created by Cardenas between H. neoleopoldii and H. pardinum which he named H. 'Sumac Pinini', eventually the Dutch produced it in mass quantities and renamed it "Spotty". There was some speculation that "Spotty" was actually a selection of a species, that has been proved to be false, either way it's a very desirable hybrid.

I've been informed of a breeder that may have "Spotty", we will see where it goes from here :)

• haweha
    13 years ago

Oh! I assumed that it be clear from the context that I exclusively referred to the last picture, (and not your to link to "Spotty", respectively).

I am YET to retrieve whether another spotted hybrid, namely "Emerald" that it is classified as "Cybister" (Veronica Read, p.128) is a hybrid of H.papilio and H.cybister (I found this information elsewhere) but I doubt this.

I wish you mucvh luck for your search for "Spotty"; it is actually a very desirable cultivar.

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

I know this an old post, but I have "Spotty". I got it about 15 or so years ago. It has split into 2 main bulbs and several pups. Open to trades for the pups (no organs or limbs though).
    Mike

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Josh,
    Spotty is on the KAVB site (the long list of all KAVB registered hybrids), but it is not under Ludwig. It was registered in 1989...that KAVB page is incredibly helpful when trying to find old bulbs!
    Kristi

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike,

Please send me an e-mail!!!! I am VERY excited to trade ;)

JoshuaY46016@yahoo.com

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

...I'm hoping for you he has the real Spotty!!...TMV-free!!
    :-)
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

We would all love to see a picture of Mike's Spotty...hope it works out for you!

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kristi,

15 or so years ago is correct, I've known several others that had this bulb too but have since lost it.

I have many species I'll happily trade for this beautiful plant!

Josh

• johnsonm08
    12 years ago

I spent the last hour going through my flower pics and this one escaped the camera---I'll post one when it flowers in the spring.
    Mike

• lovestroy
    11 years ago

I found the picture like this..
    Mike, what does your spotty look like?
    Stephen

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

Hi,
    It looks like the pic in the link in the original post, this one is kind of fuzzy--not sure if its the same.
    I separated an offset just as it should have been going dormant, and I'm not sure if that was the cause, but it never went dormant over the winter like it usually does (it was a very warm winter though and my basement was warmer that normal). Of course since I was very excited to photograph it and post a pic it failed to flower this spring :( It is plump and healthy so I hope to get a flower this coming spring.
    Mike

• TigerFox
    11 years ago

Howdy Mike
    What a pity for missing flower this spring!
    Do you have the photographs of your Hippeastrum 'Spotty' taken before?
    I'm looking forward to see you this breed true photos, thank you!!!!

Cheers and happy gardening!
    Tiger from China

Sponsored