Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

La Paz or Tango ??

Hi,

My La Paz from ETGBs has bloomed. Two very tall scapes with a 3rd scape up about 3". I think I am just a bit disappointed as the flower is rather on the small side but the color is a pinky red, which is good.

My question is, this bulb has decidedly tan colored pedicels. Now I think I read last year on Emaryllis.com that either La Paz or Tango had the tan pedicels and now I can't find reference to where I read this.

So, I will throw the question out to all of you..is this La Paz or is it Tango. Actually I don't really care since I didn't have either before but, I would like to label it properly..Thanks!

Donna

{{gwi:434108}}

{{gwi:434109}}

{{gwi:434110}}

{{gwi:434111}}

If I decide to pollinate my papilio seedling, this would be one choice. I also have a Lima opening at the correct time too...decisions decisions...the only other fresh pollen I have is the not Ferrari....probably not a good idea?

Comments (34)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Did you go look at the Emaryllis site? Look at the photos and you should be able to tell them apart!
    HAPPY LABELING!!
    :-)
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course I looked!!! They look exactly the same to me!!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course I looked!! They look exactly the same to me.!!

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Donna you're not alone in your opinion, Mr. Emaryllis writes about Tango:
    - appears identical to La Paz. -

11 years ago

Yup...Lena, I was just going to post the same thing!!

Bill says, "'Tango' is a cybister hybrid that has been more commonly available in markets outside of the U.S.A. It appears identical to 'La Paz.'"
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Emaryllis Tango

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I've been looking at pictures of both until I ran out of pictures and I'm of the opinion that they ARE one and the same. I've seen pictures of BOTH with the tan pedicels..no matter, I just won't have to relabel my pictures!! Thanks!

Donna

11 years ago

Bill also said that the color of the bloom varies based on the light conditions in which they are grown....

Lovely blooms!
    K

• mariava7
    11 years ago

Tango

Original Author
    11 years ago

Maria, Do you think it's Tango due to the tan colored pedicels or can you just tell the difference in the flowers? You must have them both...?

The flowers are very delicate and now that they've opened up more they are very pretty...

Donna

• mariava7
    11 years ago

Difference in petal shape/growth Donna.
    La Paz has slightly wider petals than Tango and it's 2 lower side petals grow downwards and not sideways like Tango does. La Paz likewise has more green in it's lower petals than Tango.
    My La Paz was acquired in 2007. Tango in 2008.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Many thanks for the explanation Maria I can definitely see the difference now..TANGO it is then!! Now, I wonder where I can find a La Paz...

Donna

• haxuan
    11 years ago

Your bloom looks definitely stunning, Donna. I love it! I must add La Paz/Tango to my wish list for next year now.

Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I do love those Cybisters!

Hi, Ladies! :-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I just wanted to add some more pictures of Tango. She's still not open all the way and I'm really pleased with her color! A very delicate and beautiful flower.

These photos were taken with a flash so the color is a bit less intense than the pictures, but you can get the idea.

If you like cybisters I would recommend this one. Just go to ETGBs and order La Paz...and you get a Tango just like this!!

Donna
    {{gwi:434112}}

{{gwi:434113}}

{{gwi:434114}}

ain't she sweet?

11 years ago

Is the bloom as small as you first thought? Seems like you were disappointed in the first blooms and I wonder if they improved as that other scape opened.
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the bloom is still on the small side but when you're looking at just one flower it looks small. When you're looking a 6 to 8 (2 stalks and they're not all out yet) they are amazingly beautiful...just my opinion of course... And of course, we can't forget that this is on an unrooted bulb so next year might bring larger and even brighter flowers!!

It looks to me like Tiramisu was bred from Tango (just my unsubstantiated opinion) as they are quite similar...so, since I can't have a Tiramisu this will suffice just fine! I think you should order one if you don't already have one..;-) In fact I think you should order 3!!

I'm actually toying with the idea of ordering another just in case this one rots on me (there is a third scape so there won't be much left of this poor bulb when it's through flowering and, I tend to have problems with some cybisters getting them to root) and, I won't be sure just what it is they'll be offering next year...especially where this is a mislabel (that I won't be complaining about)!!

Donna

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I never tire of looking at Hippeastrums! Gorgeous!

• mariava7
    11 years ago

{{gwi:434115}}

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, Maria! It's so good to "see" you! As always, your plants look amazing!

Huge hugs for you, too! Hope all is well with you and your family. Ours is doing well. Hope to see you post more often!

Wonderful photography, everyone! I'm enjoying it all so much!

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Just wanted to share these pretties that are now in full bloom. They have been so giving in the past 3/4 springs.
    Enjoy!!!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 0:01

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just Beautiful!! I"ll try and take good care of mine!

• mariava7
    10 years ago

You will not believe this Donna but these bulbs used to be "blooming bulbs in the brown bag"!!! I got lazy to individually pot them so I planted them in one of those rectangular pot (7x17" I think). They have stayed there for the past 3 years and I even forgot this pot outside under the stairs this past winter with just a plastic drop cloth over them. I was actually expecting mushy/frozen bulbs from it as we did get like 15F temps. To my surprise, when I took out the plastic cover, scapes were out with a few having 2 scapes per bulb at that!

My 3/4 flower papilios are awake inside the garage and are in bud still planted in 6 inch pots! LOL I am thinking of potting them up this way likewise. Maybe I'll be nice and just plant 3 or 4 bulbs per pot this time.

Here's how they look like.
    Poor things or happy things???

Original Author
    10 years ago

Maria,

I just bought a few of these rectangular pots (plastic this time) at Walmarts and I am going to plant bulbs that I have 3 or more (acquired through mislabels). Or maybe I'll use them for my one year seedlings. I have 5 of this type of pot but they're terracotta and I can't lift them! As I get older maybe it's time to faze in a few plastic pots...

What a beautiful display your Tangos are!!

My 3 to 4 flower papilio is just now poking up a bud mine for the first time though, I am so excited!! How about that, this must just be their timetable to bloom! I wonder what I should put on them.

I have dozens of sprouted seeds of regular papilio x Tango it was the most prolific cross I've ever done! If I'd known that virtually every seed would germinate I would have given some away! I also did papilio x Chico and only ended up with about 12, which is enough as I already had about 5 from a previous year...

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

What a coincidence! My 3/4 flower paps rested last year likewise from blooming but did leaf out a lot. Their bulbs are huge almost filling up the 6 inch pots now. They are very picky with their pollen partner in 2011 as newly planted bulbs. I tried every available exotic pollen I have on them and they rejected most except Rosario. Hopefully now that they are established, they won't be so picky! I think I have 5 or 6 of them to play with this time. What failed in the past seasons could succeed this season. So just pollinate away. Good Luck!

Oh...don't forget to make additional holes in them rectangular pots! I remember adding like at least 5 more.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

49 flowers pollinated. 11 pollen parents used. 7 seedpods already failed. I wonder which ones will be the lucky pollen daddy this season? I have had a lot of pollination failures with this batch of bulbs for the past 3 years. Will I be blessed in 2013???

This post was edited by mariava7 on Fri, May 24, 13 at 23:44

10 years ago

Dear Maria,
    I see lots of pods... I hope they keep on growing. Very discouraging when they grow and grow and then fail OR are full of empty seed coats. I've had some surprise successes this year, but also many disappointments. The next 2-3 years can't pass fast enough to see some blooms!

Good luck and fingers crossed for lots of fertile pods.
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Yes Kristi! There are seasons that the failures seem to be 10X more than the successful ones. With regards to exotics anyway. I used to be very disappointed...stressed out. Now I just look at it as challenges, roads to further explore. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. :-)

May 2010 - Tangos on the left, Marikits on the right. All of these pollinations failed.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

3 weeks after pllination...15 seedpods left. :-(

On the brighter side, my favorites are blooming. :-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just beautiful Maria! Mine is coming.. but slowly, the bud is now up about 1" I can't wait to see it!! Do you have any idea what papilio was crossed with..a wild guess? And, do you find that these offset like the regular papilio, so far mine hasn't...

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

H. papilio X green trumpet with 4 or more flowers or vice versa??? Hahaha...this is truly a wild guess! But then these papilio hybrids do have kinda semi-trumpet shaped flowers.
    Offset production - As I mentioned, I have neglected them and have not potted them up...yet! They are still in 6 inch pots since I aquired them Fall 2010. Now I feel so guilty! Ughhhh! 2 or 3 of them did managed to give out an offset though. These papilio hybrids do have huge bulbs!
    It's time to pot them up as a few of them only gave 2 flowers/scape now. I think 2 of them managed to give out 3 flowers though inspite of being "bonsai-ed"! Ha! I hope yours blooms well Donna. Did yours get to leaf out well last growing season???

Original Author
    10 years ago

It did leaf out fairly well last summer and one leaf even had a stripe on it! I repotted mine several months ago and it was well rooted. I notice the leaves weren't the usual strap like leaves of papilio but a bit thicker and shorter and it also lost all its leaves this winter, not keeping a few as the evergreen papilio usually does for me...:-)

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 20:12

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Good growing Donna! Go breed some variegated paps!
    Yes these papilio hybrids are kinda more compact growing and will shed their leaves once they feel cold.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Well, my papilio hybrid with the 3 to 4 flowers has bloomed. Only had 2 flowers but I really liked it. Maria's first picture shows hers to be a more hooded flower with more burgundy but Maria's second picture above from this year looks more like mine in the shape and reddish color.

Here are a few pictures of mine and I selfed one which you can see didn't take and not knowing what else to put on, I put Exotic Star hoping to make it even pinker. It appears the Exotic Star cross took, assuming all is well inside.

Also, notice the similarities with my PapExStasy regarding the color, mine being a papilio x Exotic Star cross. This hybrid has a more papilio like shape. Hope I get loads of good seeds, if so I "might" be able to share some.

Donna

I just loved the profile..
    {{gwi:434117}}

{{gwi:434118}}
    {{gwi:434119}}From Papilio hybrid from Maria

{{gwi:434120}}
    {{gwi:434121}}
    {{gwi:434122}}
    {{gwi:434123}}

and once again my PapExStasy so you can see how close the colors between the two are..

{{gwi:434124}}

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Good job Donna! Hopefully the results would be looking similar to PapExStasy. When I received these Papilio hybrids, they were huge bulbs that I'm pretty sure were pampered in the commercial greenhouses in Netherlands. I tried pollinating them that year and they were very picky and I only succeeded with a few seedpods. I never got to feed them right or provided the growing conditions they used to have in NL. Next season, only a few of them bloomed with 2-3 flowers. Seven of them bloomed for me this season and they did the same but have produced several seedpods for me. Quite nice crosses too! I have kept them in 6 inch pots so perhaps I am limiting/underfeeding them.
    This was how they looked like then with their huge bulbs almost filling these 6 inch pots. Some of them even gave 2 scapes per bulb. I hope their siblings would also inherit this performance.
    {{gwi:434125}}