Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summersunlight

Are there any good sources that have virus-free Amaryllis?

summersunlight
11 years ago

I know in the orchid world that there are a couple of orchid businesses that guarantee virus-free orchids. Do any of the mail order/internet companies for Amaryllis make a guarantee that their stock doesn't have virus?

I really don't want to get into another plant variety that has virus problems. :(

Comments (12)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

No sources that I know of have any written guarantee that their bulbs have no virus. While most bulbs don't have it, some do. All you do is identify and destroy or isolate.

Many of us think, unfortunately, that virus is something we'll have to manage.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Your best chance to stay away from possible virused bulbs is not to buy them at Big Box Stores.
    Most all of us have in the past bought bulbs from Home Improvement stores that have turned out virused. Not to say that they all are and each year may be different. I have many big box bulbs that are just fine..so just be mindful and keep an eye on the leaves as that's where you'll notice the first signs..but, not always as sometimes the leaves will look fine until summer when the pots go out in the sun.

My suggestion is to go to a reptuable on-line dealer or a high classed nursery. The risk is always there but much less of a chance than the cheaper mass produced bulbs from the big box stores.

Donna

11 years ago

Expensive imported bulbs also have shown up with virus. Some in the US and some from EU and AUS.

I would say a higher percentage of box kits may have virus.... But remember you are paying about $5 so the store pays just over $2. You get what you pay for? The more costly bulbs on line may be grown with more vigilance; however, even those growers who take great care are not immune.

Again, no one will put in writing that they guarantee virus free bulbs.
    K

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I would agree with K, in that we most often do get what we pay for... there are several reputable bulb companies that most folks order from, and though the cost is sightly higher than the big box stores, I think the quality is more often much better.

Besides Royal Colors, where is everyone ordering from these days?

11 years ago

Van Engelen, McClure & Zimmerman, White Flower Farms, Easy to Grow Bulbs (same as Willowcreek), and Eden's Blooms for me. RC of course....
    K

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shipping is expensive and they mostly sell species, but I did find one place that claims their bulbs are grown from seed to avoid virus: Telos Rare Bulb.
    I am thinking of trying some of their plants in spring.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I love looking at their website... and often think that someday, I may order a few things. Someday when I actually have a budget to work with, that is!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I have had more virus from the expensive bulbs than the bbs bulbs in the past 2 years. Hadeco bulbs seemed really hard hit 2 hears ago. I do not think any vendor/grower is immune and it is only a matter of time before all have the problem to some degree or another. I think it is like chili thrips, something we have to learn to live with.

Tally HO!

11 years ago

I'll echo Tally's sentiments. Many of my Hadeco bulbs last year were affected.
    K

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am thinking of ordering some bulbs from Royal Colors since most people seem to like them. Does anyone know if Royal Colors takes any precautions to prevent virus? Has anyone had a virused plant from there?

10 years ago

You can contact them directly from their site to ask. They are very good about responding.
    K

• summersunlight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent an email to them - so I will let everyone know what they say.

The reason I am concerned is that I know that it is not considered safe to buy Hostas from holland because apparently at least with Hostas, the Holland producers feel that it is acceptable to have 10% virused plants. I hope that is not the case here too.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company