Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lenanen

H. 'Exotic Star'

lenanen
11 years ago

My 'Exotic Star' and it's first flowers! It's simply stunning!

{{gwi:434403}}

{{gwi:434404}}

Comments (7)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Just beautiful Lena! Exotic Star is one of my all time favorites..when I first got my bulb about 3 years ago it bloomed with 2 stalks, each with "4" flowers and then a few weeks later it sent up another stalk with "4" more flowers. It hasn't performed as well since then but, the flowers are always outstanding..

For some reason it appears that my flowers had more pigment than yours does or is it just your camera?

How many flowers on yours?

Donna

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Donna and thanks! I've been admiring your guys' Exotic Stars and hoping to get one too. Well now I have and I have actually two of them, after the first one arrived I had to order one more! :D

I looked up your ES and you're absolutely right, yours has very intense coloration, a lot stronger than mine and the red lines in yours are wider, aren't they. You have a sensational specimen.

Maybe there is some variation in ES colorwise? Mine does look like that, as pictured. There is a prominent shade of green and the red stripes or lines are pencil-thin, as if they were delicately drawn or dappled on the layer of green. It is very, very charming I think, very lovely.

Oh and there are only two flowers; this is the first scape, there's another soon to open, I suspect it has two also, it looks just as slim as this one was.

• haxuan
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful bloom, Lena. Thanks for sharing.

Donna: My ES also has only two blooms on each stalk while yours always has four! Envious here :)

Xuan

• jungle87
    11 years ago

Wow, I love it beautiful.

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Xuan, Jungle, thank you!! Today she looks even more papilio-like and I just adore her looks. There is something so regal about her...

These first two flowers I've pollinated with Naranja and Flamingo Star. And I've put her pollen on every hippie-flower in the house :D

I'll be collecting her pollen from the future flowers and using it on 'Jungle Star' at least.

• haweha
    11 years ago

Pictures like your's are the reason that I consider "Exotic Star" for one of the very best Papilio hybrids.
    Thank you for sharing this!

• lenanen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hans, thank you. It sure is amazing. - The second scape is opening soon, and then there's the other ES growing... Since it is from the same source I don't expect any major differences in color or shape.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions