Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstropic

First mislabel

jstropic (10a)
9 years ago

Unfortunately, my first mislabel was Palermo (see photo). Wrote to RC as it doesn't look anything like the photo on their website. Any ideas on what this is? - J

Comments (20)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Oh yikes!!! I didn't order Palermo, but the recent big reds are Royal Velvet and Magnum, and it doesn't look like either!!!...(?) I sort of feel for distributors because they sell bulbs as they are labeled!

Bet someone knows what it is!!!
    Kristi

• gryffin
    9 years ago

Here's what my Palermo looks like so far. I'll update as it blooms.

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kristi, do you think this could be St. Anne La Palud? It's pretty just not what I wanted. Hard to keep those darn bulbs in the right bins lol!

Gryffin, I can't wait to see your flowers. Hoping they look more like the ones posted on the RC site.
    -J

9 years ago

No. Notice that it's lacking the white points on each tepal...shape looks a bit like Daphne. Hmmm...

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kristi, I went back to take another look and the flowers do have white points, although barely noticeable. You can see it more clearly on the newer flowers that are not completely open. Also that was a poor picture and the flowers had some damage as the scape was bent over when it arrived. I will take another pic when the second scape opens. Hopefully that will give us more hints.
    You have amazing eyes for those little features!!!! -J

9 years ago

Super sleuths on this forum!!
    KðÂÂÂ

9 years ago

Jodi,
    Look at the one labeled H. Palermo on this link...argh! Looks like a match!!
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Herculesflora catalog

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, I heard back from Paul at Royal Colors who explained he contacted the breeder of Palermo who confirmed that my picture was indeed Palermo although it was different from the picture the breeder sent RC and that the breeder is sending another picture. Waiting to hear back from RC to see how they are going to handle this. - J

9 years ago

I wasn't impressed with Palermo's shape on the RC site, so passed on it. They had another photo of H. Tango that had really odd coloring. I guess they are at the mercy of what they are sent.

Do I get half a detective merit badge?
    K

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh no, no, no, you are worthy of something much greater than that. You get an Order of the Hippeastrum Full Detective Badge!!! You definitely called this one! - J

9 years ago

It should be OH FUDGe
    Order of the Hippeastrum Full Undercover Detective Group, etc!
    ðÂÂÂ
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 8:52

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like it!!!! And we can have an OH FUDGe Award ! -J

9 years ago

Jodi,
    Please send me an email. I have something that you might be interested in, but you have not attached an email to your profile....
    Thanks,
    Kristi

• gryffin
    9 years ago

The blooms on mine should open in another day or two- it seems like it will be darker than Jodi's but not as dark as I expected based on the original photo on RC's site.

What trait do you think makes it a "special"? Also, when you say you are waiting to hear from RC about how they will handle this, what do you expect? As a newbie, I've never experienced this situation- e.g., we got what we ordered but it doesn't look at all like we expected based on the website.

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My experience with Royal Colors is that they are always fair so I wrote explaining my expectations. I believe 'special' means that RC received a limited supply of these bulbs from breeders in the cut flower industry. - J

• gryffin
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of my Palermo opening up. He is pretty handsome at this point, even though he is not as dark as I expected.

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gryffin,

He certainly is handsome!! And I couldn't help but notice the snow outside. Wow! - J

• gryffin
    9 years ago

Yes and there is more falling today. Here is Palemo this afternoon...

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful flower gryffin!!! It certainly brightens up everything!!! -J

• gryffin
    9 years ago

One more of Palermo- it looks a little more 'trumpety' than a plain red would be, am I right?

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County