Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum reginae is blooming!

joshy46013
13 years ago

I awoke to a surprise this morning :) My Hippeastrum reginae collected from Quillabamba, Peru.

{{gwi:434622}}

{{gwi:434623}}

Comments (16)

• venkyblr
    13 years ago

They are lovely blooms Josh.
    I am not sure if the ones I have are also the same. Since you are an expert on species let me post the images and you could let me know about it.
    {{gwi:424297}}From Amaryllis

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Venky :)

Yes, I would say you've got yourself H. reginae :) I'm assuming that the pictures are a bit more orange than they really are as H. reginae is red. It seems we have very similar clones!

Josh

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Venky,

The more I look at it I think it could also be Hippeastrum puniceum, they're both very similar one is red and the other is orange, how long do the leaves get? H. reginae has horribly long leaves, they are the longest I've seen on a Hippeastrum, several feet!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Very lovely reginae Josh, it does look similar to Venkys but with out blowing them up and putting them side by side, it's difficult to tell to my untrained eye...both very nice.

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Donna :)

Venky I looked more at your pictures in your picasa and I would agree that yours is H. reginae!

Dr. Alan Meerow wrote this to me in a prior e-mail

"Naranjo & Andrada estimated only 16% polyploidy in the whole genus. There have only been hexaploids reported for H. apertispathum , but pentaploids in striatum & petiolatum. Tetraploids: H. petiolatum, some H. striatum, some blossfeldiae (maybe all), reginae, vittatum."

Dr. Meerow is going to send me a paper on Hippeastrum ploidy that was in Dr. Julie Diluth thesis. If H. reginae and H. vittatum are both tetraploid what does that make Xjohnsonii? Anywho, I'm going to try crossing H. reginae with many things, we'll see what happens!

Josh

• haweha
    13 years ago

IF this is a (self) fertile species Knight Star Lily, then it is one valuable one, at least one precious individual specimen thereof. The proportions of the flower segments are similar to "San Antonio Rose" (hybrid of H.aulicum v.stenopetalum and H.traubii f.doraniae): The "butterfly segments" are broader than the respective two segments below. My suggestion is to perform at least one self pollination.

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Josh,

Your H. reginae is quite striking. I have six seedlings raised from seed sent to me by an anonymous donor in South America.

Here is a photo of my San Antonio Rose for reference.

-Blanca

{{gwi:434625}}

-Blanca

• venkyblr
    13 years ago

Hi Josh

Mine is more of a orange one than red. I will update more pictures of the leaves and the flowers so that you could confirm it.

Venky

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have selfed it, I plan on selfing both flowers and I've decided it can be the pollen parent of crosses!

It is very similar to "San Antonio Rose" down to the coloring!!! How strange :)

Josh

• venkyblr
    13 years ago

Hi Guys,

Here is a better picture showing the true color.
    {{gwi:434627}}From Amaryllis

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Venky,

I would say you've got H. puniceum. My H. reginae is very similar to H. puniceum, I'm sure they're both in the "Striatum" group.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Blanca, I don't think I've seen a lovelier photo of San Antonio Rose ANYWHERE!! Now all three photos are gorgeous, but yours has those fluttering wings....and that exquisite color...just stunning!

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"San Antonio Rose" is absolutely beautiful, it takes it shape from H. traubii forma doraniae and its color patter from H. aulicum var. step.

Blanca, what a beautiful picture, I'd love to see an album composed by yourself ;)

Josh

• venkyblr
    13 years ago

The San Antonio Rose surely has a lovely fluttering wings and beautiful texture to it. Blanca as Josh was saying a album composed of all the blooms will be beautiful.

• Aquaman64
    9 years ago

Hi Josh,

I just recently joined this forum & stumbled across your posting of 2 Nov. 2010 of H. reginae, beautiful. I'm a recently member to the Pacific Bulb Society & have become very interested in species Hippeastrums. I'm seeking sources for them either as seeds or bulbs & was hoping you might be willing to help me. If you have any info, sources or connections that you could share I would greatly appreciate it. I live in the Central Valley of California, zone 9b.

Karl

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Karl,
    We've been there before! Check out this prior thread.
    Kristi

Here is a link that might be useful: Looking for Hippi species seeds

Sponsored
More Discussions