Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peeling off layers harmful?

Posted by anna_in_quebec z4 QC (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 13:31

I am wondering, is it harmful - with a new bulb - to peel off up to 3 layers if there is clear evidence of inter-scale moisture/rot? Will this in any way harm the emerging scape? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peeling off layers harmful?

Anna,

I usually only peel off just the first, but sometimes you have to go further, no ill effects so far..sometimes if there is inner rot a few layer in which is often the case, I'll just go down as far as the brown goes..leaving the botton half of the layer attached to the basal plate if possible.

Donna

o

Anna,

It's much better to remove the rot than not, eventually the rot could spread throughout the entire bulb causing death.

Josh

o

Anna, I agree, take whatever layers are really wet off. Better to do that first than to find out later it's gotten worse. Alana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here