Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleclover_gw

Bulb Help? Cybister bulb turning pink

purpleclover
14 years ago

Hi guys, I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything.

I potted up my Hippe order and set them out in clay pots.

My La Paz BULB has turned pink above the soil line. It is not the red of red splotch. And it is only the exposed, outer layer.

My guess would be either sunburn or too chilly? I moved it to a lower shelf so it is no longer getting full sun, but wonder if I should bring it inside instead?

Thanks everyone for your help, G.

Comments (7)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Is the bulb damaged in any way... besides the pinkish coloration? I ask, because sometimes, when a bulb is getting very good sunlight, the backs of the leaves and the lighter part of the bulb will turn a light shade of reddish/pinky... but it's just a color, and there is no damage or change to the outer "skin" of the leaves or bulb.

But if your pink color is accompanied by blistering or rotting, or any other changes to the surface, the bulb may have been burned, or something else is wrong.

Can you post a photo? Or a link to a photo? This would help in diagnosing...

As far as temperature... if the weather has been frosty, you could have cold damage... a picture would really be helpful.

Anyone else have any ideas? I wish I could be of more help...

• mariava7
    14 years ago

It's fine. Just the cool temps. Most exotics like the warmer weather so moving it inside beside a window with bright/direct sunlight would be great.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks, Maria! I don't have a lot of experience with bulbs and the outdoors... I couldn't think what the pink might be.

• mariava7
    14 years ago

Your most welcome Jodi! They actually looked so pretty with those pink bulbs! LOL!!! This happened to some of my hippies when I peeled their brown skin and the temps went down to 40-ish. This together with bright direct light turned them pink/purple! My Chico bulbs in particular did this.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I've noticed the pinkish tint on many types of plants that get a very good amount of sunlight... I'm always pleased by the little bit of reddish or pinkish caste to the stems or leaves, which tells me that I'm giving them excellent light.

The cold isn't a factor for me... I'm too paranoid of NBF to take my babies outside!

• purpleclover
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I did take photos, but don't know how to upload them.

Mariava, we did have a low down to 40 recently. So the pink tint doesn't damage the bulb, I guess.

Jodik, I also have a bulb with a leaf coming up that has a pinkish tint on Misty. I was hoping it was a scape, but it isn't thick enough and its coming from the center of the bulb.

Thanks, G

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Posting photos is relatively easy, once you get the hang of it... first, you need to find an online photo storage facility. PhotoBucket is one... Flickr is another... there are several. Most are free.

Just find the online storage facility that meets your needs, and create a free account. Then, follow directions to upload your pictures.

Once you have them uploaded, choose the HTML coding and copy and paste it into the body of your message here.

I use PhotoBucket, so the HTML option would be the third option under the picture.

Most online photo albums will have good directions on how to copy and paste your photos where you need them to go... such as forums and message board use.

I also believe there's a place here, at GW, where you can store photos... and there's even a test page for placing them in messages or as links.

I hope this helps you a little bit with photos. :-)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions