Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Plse Help! Worst Nightmare; Now What?

arbo_retum
11 years ago

My 30 + amaryllis pots (most had just come through their 1st winter/spring) were in the south-facing plant room while I was away July through October. Their caretaker was supposed to keep them watered and fertilized, but right after I left, they suffered a medical emergency... and the amaryllis were forgotten.

As you can imagine, i have just returned to a fiasco. About 1/3 of the bulbs were dried up/hollow punk; others have a few strap leaves and have aLOT of mealybugs. I am writing to ask what I should do. So far, I have been cleaning them up by tossing the goners and combining the bulbs that are in half empty pots. At this point, I have to go with the quickest solutions or i will just give up (and i don't want to do that.) I am wiping off the mealybugs with an alcohol dipped cloth and brush, and putting granular systemic in pencil holes in each pot, followed by a watering. I want to spray them but only have old Neem's that seems too thick to deal with. I haven't found in local stores the spray mixture some of you use. So I was thinking to do 1/2 tsp dish soap in 1 qt water and spray them with that. Some of the strap leaves are so infested that I have been cutting those off.

What do you think of my above procedure? What should I do about watering and fertilizing?

They have suffered so badly. Even though they are "supposed to" be put into dormancy now, should i leave them in the sun and start fertilizing them to try to build them back up? or put them in the dark (but 60degree warm) cellar? What a conundrum. Thank youall so much for your help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions