Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandiswish

planting amaryllis bulb

brandiswish
9 years ago

can I start an amaryllis bulb in a vase? Or would it be better to start it in soil?

Comments (4)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

It would be better to start it in soil.

The first message on our list is a "sticky" with many of the frequently asked questions. Give that a quick read and you will be on the road to success with your bulb!

Good luck!
    Kristi

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want a potted plant? Or are you in a climate where they can grow outside? Are you planning on trying to get it to bloom outside next year? Or are you buying a cheap one at Home Depot you plan on speajubg as disposable?

In my climate we grow them in soil in pots. In Zone 9 you can plant them outside...if it hasn't gotten too cold where you are yet.

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

As others have said, it's dependent upon whether you want to keep and grow the bulb as a container plant that has the ability to bloom again the following year... or whether you're planning on treating it as a disposable, seasonal item that you will toss after the holidays.

Lucky are those who live in frost free climates, for they can plant Amaryllis bulbs in their gardens after enjoying the flowers indoors over the holiday season.

Most of us plant our bulbs in medium within containers, and we attend to their cultural needs all year 'round, hoping that our care will result in yearly flowering.

You can suspend your bulb in a glass vase specifically designed for Amaryllis bulbs, taking care to keep the water at an appropriate level that will encourage root growth, but will also ensure that the basal plate doesn't rot... and you can then pot it in a medium after it completes its flowering cycle.

It's all dependent upon how you want to treat your bulb. You can find the appropriate care instructions for your growing choice within the information provided in the "Sticky" at the top of the first page within this forum.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I bought some at store and started them out in a container with just a bit of moisture. They grew and bloomed, but I didn't treat them as being disposable. In the spring, I transplanted them outside and they continued growing throughout the year.

Sponsored
More Discussions