Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missruthy

scheepers or blooming bulbs?

missruthy
12 years ago

I'm going to buy 4 or 5 hippies for the holidays. Last year I ordered from Scheepers but I saw some very beautiful bulbs on the BB's site.

Does anyone recommend one over the other. Price is not a factor. I'd just like the showiest, most gorgeous blooms.

Comments (27)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

If price is not a factor, then you might take a look at White Flower Farms..several years in a row, I bought a few bulbs from them (very pricey) but they were lovely and large..now I buy from Easy to Grow Bulbs..a big less expensive and some lovely bulbs also..I haven't tried the other two vendors you speak of, I also use EBay..Have fun and what ever you choose, I'm sure you'll love your flowers...

Donna

12 years ago

Hi Miss Ruthy.

It's me again and I just took a second look at your name. Are you the gal from NY that I sent some seeds to last year..if so, I hope some of them germinated for you...

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

I wasn't fond of Blooming Bulb. All the bulbs I received in my order two years ago had scapes fully emerged and bent when I received them. I quipped at the time that that's why they named themselves Blooming Bulb - cause that's what you get when you open the shipment. I love Sheepers btw - actually it's Van Engelen, their sister site, that I've solely ordered from the last two years. Especially since I like to pot bulbs up in multiples, Van Engelen's 3-for price is perfect and their quality is excellent!

Alana

• missruthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Donna,
    I sent you an email. I am indeed the grateful recipient of the seeds. Haven't started them yet but I will do so after the holidays.

Alana, thanks for the info re: blooming bulbs. I'm going to look into White Flower Farm, etal. And then there's always scheepers.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

In my opinion I would order from either ;

A.) Easy To Grow Bulbs (easytogrowbulbs.com)

OR

B.) Royal Colors (royalcolors.com)

BOTH have an amazing selection and are the best priced, why spend more on bulbs when you can get the same bulbs MUCH cheaper at BETTER vendors, most of the time you spend 30 bucks on a bulb and a horrible glazed ceramic pot that has no drainage holes and a bulb that is a garden variety at best... If you're looking for showy I would say try these varities

From Easy To Grow Bulbs

'Ruby Star'
    'Siren'
    'Temptation'

From Royal Colors

'Spotlight'
    'Grand Diva'
    'Flamenco Queen' -- ALL TIME FAVORITE OF MINE :)
    'Brazza'

ETG has several varieties that are only available via their catalog and RC has quite a few new hybrids that will knock your socks off! Both of these places cannot be rivaled!

Josh

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I've ordered from several vendors over the years, and one of my favorites is still John Scheepers. The value is very good, and the packing is terrific! I love Royal Colors, too, but ordering early is a must due to the long shipment time involved.

If price is not an object, I would look for the company with the best variety and an expedited shipping option.

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Royal Colors ships within 7 days now and while it does take longer than a US place they're quality is incomparable! They have hardly any misnamed bulbs!

I ordered a few bulbs from Scheepers last year and I waited and waited for a few weeks for them to finally e-mail me explaining the wont ship after it gets too cold outside and my order was cancelled, this was around Thanksgiving last year..

• missruthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since royal colors is Holland based, I'm guessing that might lengthen the time. However, they have a very pretty selection and I may not mind the wait. Scheepers took a fairly long time to ship last year but the bulbs were in excellent condition (even tho not well identified). Hmmmm. Decisions!

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Ruthy,

It takes me about a week and a half after shipping to get my bulbs from Royal Colors, I promise you'll be satisfied with the order as well!! They have some very nice exclusives like 'Spotlight', did you take a look at that one?

It took Scheepers the one time I got something from them a good couple weeks and the second time they never even shipped my order, please don't think I'm trying to sway you against them but I think you should atleast try RC, the quality doesn't get any better than them, on top of that they guarantee their bulbs to bloom, to be true to name and be healthy!

Josh

• missruthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh,
    Thanks for the info. I'll look for "spotlight.". I think I'll place a small order just to try them out.

• missruthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just "pulled the trigger" @ RC. There was no "spotlight" offered but they have a spectacular selection. I included a jumbo bulb and am looking forward to seeing it bloom. Thanks everyone for the help.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I do like the selection and the bulbs Royal Colors offers very much... I've ordered from them a few times in the past. Their Customer Service is second to none, and they are prompt to reply and offer help when any issue arises. I've been pleased with everything I've ever ordered from them.

The only issue I ever had was the delay in receipt due to the shipping option they had, which was incredibly slow.

Things may have changed since I ordered from them last... which was a few years ago. I haven't checked to see if they offer different shipping options now, but a few years ago it would take almost 30 days from time of order to receipt of the bulbs.

If things have changed, that's great! I only wish I could order a bulb or two this season... but I'm saving my pennies for other items.

You really can't go wrong ordering from Royal Colors, though. I'd definitely recommend them... even if they still had slow shipping. But it appears from what others are saying that they've changed that for the better.

12 years ago

Miss Ruthie

Royal Colors does still have Spotlight, it's under "New This Season" Just in case.....

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Ruth, can you e-mail them and they can add it to your order, it's under "Large Blooming" at the very bottom!

Royal colors offers to ship bulbs now within a week and you'll get them about ten days after they ship so I'd expect a couple BUT their selection and quality is incomparable along with their service! You can be sure to be satisfied!

There are NO middlemen with their bulbs like there are with many of the US vendors so it's less likely they're mislabled, I ordered probably 800 USD worth of bulbs last year from them and not one was mislabled and EVERY SINGLE BULB bloomed! I've gotten mealy bugs from several US vendors and each bulb from RC was clean and huge, no rot or fungus either.

Josh

• haxuan
    12 years ago

I also ordered from Royal colors last year and I ordered from them again this year, too.

I placed the orders for a group of friends here. We have been very pleased with RC. All their bulbs were healthy and bloomed true to their names.

This is one of the bulbs - Evergreen.

{{gwi:434927}}

It seems I cannot order from EGT or WFF because they don't accept non-US addresses :(

Xuan

Here is a link that might be useful: My amaryllis album on Facebook

• missruthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh and Donna, you're right! I just checked RC's site and there was Spotlight! Maybe I'll include it with my next order.

Xuan, that is a gorgeous plant. I'll include that too, next time.

12 years ago

Poor MissRuthy..We're all trying so hard to spend HER money...;-))

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

sounds like she's been infected with CHAD!!
    ;-)
    K

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

There are worse things to be infected with... or addicted to! Right Kristi?! As hobbies and habits go, it's an exciting one!

• missruthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now if could only kick the peanut m&m addiction, I'd be all set.

I need to clarify my "nom de forum": my friends & family know me as Cece, short for Cecelia. I just got a kick out of "Missruthy" and the old timey quality of it. Sorry for any confusion.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

We each choose our member names for a variety of reasons... my own without any imagination, whatsoever... my name is, in fact, Jodi.

Hi, CeCe! I like your reason! :-)

It's not the peanut part that has me addicted... it's the chocolate! Chocolate is my other weakness... next to plants! If they ever invent a chocolate plant that can be nibbled on instead of pruning, I'm in big trouble! ;-)

• missruthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jodi,

ummm. chocolate. peanut m&m's combine 2 yummy taste sensations: crunch & chocolate. btw, i. tried the dark chocolate but they lacked the proper oomph of milk chocolate even tho i prefer semi or bittersweet.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Reese's peanut butter cups are one of my major weaknesses, and I find myself buying them way more often than I should!

It's not that I don't like peanut m&m's... it's that my teeth don't like them! I've got a few dental issues, and I find hard nuts difficult to chew... one of the downfalls of aging and being blessed with terrible dental heredity!

Reese's give me the satisfaction without the difficulty! It's win-win! ;-)

Now, for a more melt-in-your-mouth type of experience, I like the Lindt individually wrapped balls of chocolate with the soft filling, in white, milk chocolate, dark, and there are other types with nuts and whatnot... but I like the plain, without nuts. I can't think of what they're called... the common word for them.. it's on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't spit it out.

Anyway... if it's chocolate, I'm all over it! Hold the nuts and crunchy stuff! :-)

• missruthy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think they're Truffles. It's all good!

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Truffles! Exactly right, thank you! :-)

Oh, and I have a thing for Little Debbie Swiss Rolls, too... I'm positively addicted to chocolate! And plants! I suppose there are worse habits... so I don't feel that bad! :-)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

OK...CeCe you need to get a Jewel hippi. It is scented and I think it smells of chocolate! Of course, there are the chocolate-scented orchids (Sherry Baby?!).
    Kristi

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Yes... I believe it's an Oncidium, "Sherry Baby". I'd have one, but I don't have the right environment to support its growth.

Hippeastrum "Jewel" smelled more like a lily to me, as I recall. It was really nice! It's the only Hippi I've ever detected a scent from, though, so it's worth it for that aspect, alone!

Sponsored