Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Best Vendors for Unusual?

arbo_retum
13 years ago

I post alot on Perennials but am new to this forum. i have had ZERO luck googling for amaryllis vendors. Can youall plse refer me to best mail order U.S. vendors for more unusual amaryllis? i am particularly interested in mini and exotic ones. I am already familiar with the big companies that sell the more standard varieties.

thank you for your help,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

a teaching website

Comments (14)

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

Exotics Have you already seen these?

The locals are Mahoneys ? Russells on Rte 20 where I saw some exotics that are the same seen at link and some different. There's nothing for you at any of the BIG BOX STORES nor anything in (YAWN) Hopkington,(YAWN) it's all the same ole same further west.

The private sector: I think you already know about the "OLDER" center in Waltham and the place in Dover. I don't recall seeing amaryllis at either place, but is it worth a try just to see if someone there has a USA source for you as well. wink

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Hi, Just bought 3 bulbs at Russells, Melusine, Jewel, and Amoretta, they had lots more, but I have them already...time will tell if they are true to the label. Down on Cape Cod there are lots of special little nursuries that had great bulbs earlier this season, and at Kennedys in Scituate they had Papilios I bought one and the bulbs were shaped correctly, (variety #4 for me) as last year their Papilios were Giraffe. They are rather expensive though. If your looking to buy 4 or 5 at a time I think all these places are a little too pricey. Also, most Agways in MA have varying selections. And in Rhode Island there are many nice nurseries that also have different bulbs. Oh I forgot in Situate near Kennedys I think it's called the Blooming Place, I got a La Paz and they also had Exotic Star and others.

Donna (in MA)

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Oh Donna!
    Melusine, Jewel and Amoretta that smells like mislabeled!!
    I hope the best for You!
    My Melusines have all been Rembrandt van Rijn!
    Best regards
    Frank

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

Yep Donna is right but for online USA even Whites flower farm is just as pricey as any local place. Have you already tried This place too ? I think they're worth a phone call at least.

It's a fast paced season for amaryllis. If you could list the selections of what your looking for here then maybe someone can help you get to them sooner.

13 years ago

Hi Frank, Well, you know I did remembered last year no could get the correct Melusine, and I rationalized that it would be either of the three, Melusine, RvR or Magic Green, none of which I had, so it didn't really matter... the others, well the "Jewel" is quite a large bulb with 2 offsets already, that did raise a red flag but I think I remember that Jewel does give offsets readily, and with two scapes already showing I thought what the heck! The Amoretta is a small bulb and it looked the part, no scape showing yet on that one, it will be a surprise...

Actually, to be perfectly honest my husband had gone antiquing and called me from a far away nursery and read off what they had but he's learned how to buy good bulbs and he described them over the phone to his wife who has a severe case of A D D (Amaryllis Deficit Disorder) who would be me..!!

On another note, I have 6 sprouted seedlings from Surprise x Party Pooper ( the Surprise which I bought after seeing yours)!!

and Mrlike2u I have purchased bulbs from the site on your Link from Ebay as they sell there also, I wasn't happy, but I know he does lots of business and makes lots of other people happy, so I guess if I was so inclined, I'd give them another shot...last year he had lots of dried up bulbs and passed them on to buyers. This year it seems to me that all the bulbs are in much better condition so far, I haven't seen or bought a bad one. That's of course is not including mislabels...

Donna

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmmm, i'm starting to think youall have a Secret Society, with amaryllis passwords and such!lots of injoke references that i'm here too late to grok.("shaped correctly' and "variety #4 for me" referring to Mesurine.
    ??
    maybe i also don't understand that, unlike the narcissus and tulip world, the amaryllis world is fairly limited as to varieties? so some of you swap bulblets/seeds?

mrlike, i did discover that site, easytogrow, last night and was preparing to order papillio; but is it a difficult bulb(not floriferous)and/or mislabeled often? I did just order Exotic Star from a GW recomm'd place,Cottage Gardens , for only $7 each (and the bulb size seemed to be equal to other non-sale sources i found.)

Mesurine was defntly of appeal to me though i was hoping to find a sale price(that's why i was asking for mail order sources.)

as to specific varieties i'm seeking, i was just hoping to
    find mesurine, papillio and, i was hoping, lots of other varieties with more exotic color patterning and petal shape(but not spidery.) But, you see, this is all new to me. All I've done before is buy from the major mailorder and local nurseries. I guess I was hoping to find a Plant Delights in the amaryllis world.

Thanks for your help, all of you.
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

13 years ago

Hi Mindy, No secret society, Just re-read my first post and you will see that variety # 4 was referring to Papilio which is a species and there is more than one variety floating around out there, the flowers are all basically the same with subtle differences. The variety # 4 means I have 4 Papilios from different sources which makes me hope that maybe I have more than one variety, which is what most people would like, since it is my understanding that Papilio is self sterile and if you cross two Papilios from different sources you have a better chance at getting seeds if you have different clones (if clones is the correct word in this case) and thus you may be blessed with seeds that when they grow look like Papilio! I'm sure I've totally confused you by now, (not my intention). As to the shape, it is not Melusine that has a different shape, it is Papilio (again) that sometimes has a pear shape with a longer neck. Sometimes this shape is passed on to Papilio hybrids.

Mindy.. if you are really interested in amaryllis, do what I did before I joined this forum, I went back and read every single post on every single page and you get to know who some of the people are, you also get to see some wonderfully beautiful pictures and you glean all sorts of valuable information that will make you much more informed. You may even become an addict like the rest of us...

Don't be afraid to ask question, someone will do their best to answer them for you. I've only been here (on this forum) for a little over a year, some of the other folks were born here!

Have a great day,

Donna

And by the way, another thing that you have to be very aware of is that there are lots and I mean lots of mislabels in the amaryllis world...even from reputable dealers, they can only sell what they get from their distributors in Holland , Brazil, South Africa or where ever. So just because you ordered 5 or 6 Exotic Stars, you don't know until they bloom whether you in-fact have the correct bulb. Not trying to scare you it's just a fact of life in the amaryllis world. Just read back the posts about the Lowe's bulbs, great quality this year, but most are grossly mislabeled as usual, but most folks don't care, so if you want a Lady Jane, buy a box labeled Susan, (this year), next year will be different.....

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

The secret is...... Cool we have a spy Vs spy situation here:

My Amaryllis secret to Mindy is when or if I post something your interested in just say the word and I'll make up some excuse as to why I left some half grown amaryllis container in your hands while visiting your garden.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

donna, th you for that russell's reminder; i just called and got their last melusine and jade.
    mrlike, th you for the eden link but they didn't have the varieties i'm seeking.

i am sitting on 2 orders until i hear back from youall, in case you know any other sources:
    whiteflowerfarm: emerald, la paz,fantasy, rosado

willowbrook:cherrycrush, siren, bogata, desire

i cannot find a bulb-only source for grand diva(is it really burgundy and not dark red?) or blossom peacock, grandeur, meerow (various),rio negro, ruby meyer, purple rain. know any sources? i found these last on the nat'l arboretum site; have you seen that?(droool!)

btw, have youall found anything like the RHS National Collections equivalent- for photos of amaryllis varieties- more than this nat'l arboretum album?
    thanks much again,
    mindy
    www.cottonarboretum.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: nat'l arboretum amaryllis album.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Mindy,

You wont find the bulbs hybridized by Dr. Alan Meerow yet, they aren't in production yet.

Also, many places have had these various bulbs BUT it's late in the buying season so you'll probably have to wait till next fall to pick up a few of the varieties that sell out quickly. "Rio Negro" wasn't available this season that I'm aware of.

The best time to start buying is September or even earlier if possible, this way you get your choice.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

donna, checking back on this thread, i see that i never thanked you for all your help. i did follow your advice a number of times- got a few of the last remaining exotic bulbs at russell's; and have read up on previous pages of posts on this board.
    donna, while on this major project to find hippie vendors, i have compiled a list. has anyone else posted an exhaustive list that you remember?
    thnx so much for all your help, all of you,
    mindy

13 years ago

Mindy, I don't know of any list of vendors, (but that doesn't mean there isn't one) we all just have them in our heads, I guess, or find them on the Internet. I guess most of us just keep going back to the vendors with which we have had the best luck...Actually, most of my bulbs come from various nurseries from all over MA and RI. A few here, a few there and just a few from Ebay and mail-order.

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

RoyalColors.com and EasyToGrowBulbs.com are the two I frequent the most along with MZbulb.com (mcclure and zimmerman)

Royal Colors is overseas but they have the most unusual and newer hybrids, I really like them.

Josh

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia