Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'Graffiti' x reticulatum var. striatifolium

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hi Guys,

I was giving an update on my seed pods, they're coming along great! "Graffiti" wouldn't take "Bellismo"'s pollen, I'm wondering if "Bellismo" is a triploid as I had problems pollinating it with anything.

I've heard recently from Dr. Jim Shields and Dr. Alan Meerow that most exotic Hippeastrum hybrids are actually triploid, not diploid or tetraploid, which totally makes sense!

I'll post pictures of my seed pods soon, I'm excited to see what I'll come up with :) I do have a Hippeastrum papilio x reticulatum var. striatifolium, we'll see what this cross brings!

Josh

Comments (16)

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a picture I just took, the pod on the right is developing much faster than the one on the left, both are maybe 28 days in.

{{gwi:434994}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Well done, so you've got some seedpods on Graffiti!! The one on the right is looking good..best of luck!

Donna

• primeribs
    13 years ago

Good job, Josh! I do really hope they make it for you. Last year I tried getting seeds with 'Graffiti', and the pods would last 3-4 weeks then abort.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We're just now crossing 4 weeks :) All the others aborted from "Graffiti" about 2 weeks in so lets hope these two make it! I'm crossing my fingers!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, I was able to get some viable Exotica x Bellisimo seeds earlier this year. It was a small pod and I do have some seedlings from it.

I have heard that about triploids - and conjecture amongst some friends is that Neon is one of those triploids. I don't think that's the case with Bellisimo though.

Alana

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana,

Then I would conclude that A.) I pollinated incorrectly or it wasn't effective, B.) Graffiti isn't a diploid as pollination with "Bellismo" was unsuccessful but it was also unsuccessful as being the seed parent with "Bellismo", I would conclude that "Graffiti" is triploid!

I've just contacted Dr. Alan Meerow to see his opinion on breeding triploid Hippeastrum, he does a lot of breeding and has wrote many a paper on Hippeastrum ploidy!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, I'd love to hear the reply about breeding triploids. Many of us tried to cross Neon (Pink) last season and no one was successful - which led many to believe it was a triploid. We'd love to know how to get seedling crosses with it though. Neon was an amazing bulb.

Just guessing / surmising, I think Bellisimo is a tet, and Graffiti is a diploid. Try Bellisimo on another tet.

Alana

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Guys :)

The first pod has started to open :) :) *the one on the left, the smaller one* and to my surprise was several fleshy seeds in strange shapes, that is when I knew the cross took! There seems to be a good amount of chaff, the pod on the right is 4 times the size of the other, WOOHOO, my first ever cross!

Here is a pic!

{{gwi:434995}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

I think you are the first to get seeds from Graffiti as the pod parent!! Now, let's watch them germinate....!

• primeribs
    13 years ago

Josh, That is some awesome news! It will be really interesting to see what comes out of your cross!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What I am shocked about is that the seed took the father parents size, H. reticulatum seeds are fleshy but I was sure that the seed from the cross wouldn't be, I figured it would be papery and thing but no, it's think and fleshy just like H. reticulatum!

I'm excited to see what may come :)

• santo2010
    13 years ago

Hy,
    From my little experience of two or three years Hibridazing Hippeastrum I'm concluding that it is a little bit more complicated.
    Before hibridazing Hippeatrum I Hibridated Hemerocallis. With them I think it was easier to know if they were Diploid, Tetraploid or triploid(by crossing them). Diploids fertilize diploids and tetraploids the same with tetraploids.
    But with Hippestrum I think(and of course I might be wrong) that it is a bit more complicated. First of all there are some extra rules, like that some are not self fertile and need a diferent clone to produce seeds. I wish I know more of that rules.
    I have made some crosses, I'll put some of them as an example.(fist pod, second pollen)
    H. Aulicum x H. Vittatum tweedianum(didnôt work)
    H. Aulicum x H. Apple blossom(yes)
    H. Aulicum x H. Ackermanii(yes)
    H. Apple blossom x H. Ackermanii(yes)
    H. Vittatum Tweedianum x H. Ackermanii(yes)
    H. Vittatum Tweedianum x H. Apple Blossom(yes)
    H. Vittatum Tweedianum x H. Aulicum(no)
    I have tryed several times. Different hours, and different madurity of pistils.
    I found interesting that H. Aulicum and H Vittatum Tweedianum can be fertilized with the same other plants, but aren't fertile between them.
    I have also find that some are fertile one way, but not the other. One can be the pollen donnor in the others pod, but the same cross cannot be made backwards.
    Anyone has experiences to share or knowledge to enlighten us?

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Congratulations Joshy!

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Maria, hopefully the reticulation, coloring and floriferious nature of H. reticulatum var. striatifolium prevails in some of the crosses with the beautiful shape, form and vigor of H. "Graffiti"/"Papilio"

Josh

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Seek and you will find.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

;) Thank you!

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone
More Discussions