Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

A New Mama!

jodik_gw
14 years ago

Way off topic, but... my little Maia is a new Mama for the first time! Labor began late last night, and we ended early this morning... with a total of 9 healthy babies!

Here are Mom and Babes, relaxing after a long night...

{{gwi:53797}}

She's a good first-time Mom, keeping them all clean and fed!

{{gwi:435090}}

Just wanted to share the news with my friends! There's a new litter in town! Olde English Bulldogge's!

Thanks for looking! :-)

Comments (21)

• anna_in_quebec
    14 years ago

Awwwww! So cute - but little guy seems confused! ;)

• ryan820
    14 years ago

OMG!!!! WHat a gorgeous bunch of pups! So cute! I hope they all find wonder, loving homes.

Ryan

• chazparas
    14 years ago

Confused or trying to go home!!! LOL
    Jodi, they are adorable! I miss my doggies, such a shame Chase is so allergic. Congrats!

• ninecrow
    14 years ago

Congrats to You and The New Mama!!!!
    (((Hugs)))

• cindeea
    14 years ago

Ohhhhh I wanna hold em all...Momma looks tired and proud. She has such a sweet face. As they get a little older you have to get more pics of each of them. We can help you name em all...let's see...There's Red Lion, Zombie, Elvas, Picotee, Apple Blossom, and so on!! After all, you already used Minerva!

• Carl
    14 years ago

Oh please, no Zombie-dog!

I especially like the spotted white one, but they're all cute. No one can resist animal babies ;)

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! Yes, she's incredibly tired... now comes the part where I build her back up through nutrition, and make certain she produces abundant milk! She's got a good appetite... she'll fatten up in no time!

The male to female ratio is as close to even as it gets when the number is odd... so, about half will need girl names... and for the record keeping, hippi names would be cool! At this stage, we're open to names for the books!

I'll be sure to take more photos as the pups grow... and maybe we can get some pictures of who the boys are, and who the girls are... and we can take a vote on names! That would be fun!

And, that one does look like he's not too sure about being here... maybe trying to crawl back where he came from! It's probably a boy, too... that's what they say, you know... men spend nine months trying to get out, and the rest of their lives trying to get back in! ;-)

Well... Maia isn't the only one who's tired! I'm pooped! Attending a whelping is a long and tiring process... I'm going to bed early... with one ear open, just in case!

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the interest... it's so nice to share these events with my "hippi family"!

• frank27603
    14 years ago

They are sooo cute Jodi. Congrats to you an Maia!!!

-Frank

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Wow - long night but must have been really special! Very sweet! Alana

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    14 years ago

Congrats Jodi!! I also love the spotted one! Don't know if all the colors are "acceptable"....but I like SPOTS!!

So...for girls, I'll start the list...all Amis:
    Lillian
    Ethel
    ! :-)
    Keep the photos coming!
    Kristi

• taz56
    14 years ago

Awesome what a beautiful bulldog, ok what was she
    bread too, to get all those colors in the babies!
    I have an American Bull, big ole boy name Toby. I
    just love bulldogs. Sweet puppies give um sugars
    for me!Lol!
    Susan

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Maia was bred to our male Olde Bulldogge, Huck... he's a dark brindle in color, with white extremities... we don't show our animals, so color isn't really a consideration. As long as they fit within the parameters of the OEBA Standard, it's all good!

Susan, you can actually see the American Bulldog in this litter through the coloration, and the few straight tails. AB is in their ancestry. We've been involved with American Bulldogs for over 25 years, so it's a breed we're very familiar with. These particular Oldes are down from "Leavitt" stock... my husband has been working with them for many years.

Which type of AB is Toby? Johnson or Scott... Classic or Performance? Or is Toby a Hybrid? I'm not sure what they're calling the types these days... we're more "old school", so we'd say we bred Scott type ABs.

Good names, Kristi! I was thinking about it last night, myself... I think Miss Ethel would be a great name, and perhaps Lady Jane... anyone else?

I'll take more pictures as they age and change... which will happen pretty quick!

Mom and babes are all doing good! I've never seen a dog with bags under her eyes, but I swear Maia has bags! She's still pretty exhausted. It's a large brood for a first litter!

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

Jodi, I think the Spotted one should be named after Kristi's Gordie. THat works whether it is a boy or a girl. A dark one could be Royal VELVet, Benfica, A goldy brown one could be Naranja.

Will their colors develop more as they get older or will they stay about the same as you see now?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    14 years ago

Just sooo adorable and they all look healthy!! Is there more that one spotted one(?)...Spotty Dottie (Mcguires) would be cute! Donna

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Congrats! grandma Jodi!!!
    They are so cute!!!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

The brindles may darken or lighten as the pups mature, but for the most part, the colors you see are what you get.

It's a surprisingly dark litter, overall... I was expecting at least a few to be tan/buckskin in color, like Maia and her father, Toad... but they appear to have mostly taken after Huck, their Sire, and their maternal grandmother, Emma... Maia's Dam.

We have quite a few tails to dock, as well... only a few are nice and straight, like Maia's. Huck has a funny little twisted tail, and Maia's mom, Emma, had a twisted one, too. We dock them for sanitary and breeding purposes... it's easier to keep the dogs clean and to breed them when there's no funky twists in the way!

There are only 3 pups with any white... the spotted one, and 2 with white on their heads and chests, and a little elsewhere. That's it, though.

I like the names you all are coming up with! I'm keeping a mental list of possibilities... when Larry asks for names for the record, I'll give him our suggestions!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    14 years ago

Jodi,

You could name the biggest boy Hercules....yea I know it was another dog's name, but it's a good one!

Kristi

• purpleclover
    14 years ago

Nine babies, how could she not be worn out. Can't wait to see more pics of the spotted one. G

• mikey33
    14 years ago

Sorry for bumping this up, but what a Gorgeous dog! I never heard of "Olde English Bulldogge" but I love bulldogs. So I googled that breed, and really liked what I found out. So if I end up getting an Olde English one day, it will be all your fault!
    Please post more pics of the puppies! The spotted one looks so cute! Good job, Maia.

• hippeastrumadmirer
    14 years ago

Aww she's adorable. congratulations!

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! I'll post more photos as the pups grow and change... eyes will open soon.

Mikey33, if you ever are seriously interested in getting an Olde pup, do your research well. There are lots of breeders out there, but only a few with genetically well-bred, healthy dogs down from the Dave Leavitt bloodline. Leavitt is the recreator of this marvelous breed. Olde's are what we call the midsize of the bullbreed set. They're every bit as capable as the Performance American Bulldog, but with smaller size and more authentic physical features.

They are growing quite fast, and getting cuter by the day! We haven't chosen any names for the records yet... but that will be coming up soon!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions