Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollinating?

Posted by edubose98 Alabama 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 14:47

When is the best time to pollinate a bloom to get a seed pod? Right after the bud opens up or a few days afterwards?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollinating?

Several days after it opens. The "fingers" at the end of the stigma will open fully and it will be receptive. You might want to remove the pollen from any bloom you wish to pollinate with something else to avoid and accidental "self".
K

o

Eric,

Be very careful when you remove the pollen sacs as once they're open the pollen can fly through the air (it has wings ;-)) What I do if the pollen sacs have partially opened is to cut a s straw about the length of the stigma and cover it before you even touch the pollen. You can stuff something on the open end to be extra careful.

Believe me if you goof and it gets selfed (unless that's what you want) it's a long 3 years finding room and babying these seedlings. Once they start to grow they become your responsibility so you want to make sure you've got a good cross! My seedlings take up as much space as my larger bulbs.

When I first started about 5 years ago I made some stupid crosses and of course those are the ones that will take.. and, grow forever it seems before they bloom. I'm at the point now where I only soak a small portion of the seeds (unless it's a really special cross) so I don't end up with 40 seedlings of any particular cross.

I'm just trying to save you from making the typical newbie mistakes that I made...

Have fun and let us know what crosses you do make. Remember that red is dominant so unless you want red be mindful.

Donna

o

Thanks yall! Donna and kristi is always so helpful when I have questions! Yall are angels!

o

In order to prevent self pollination, the anthers bearing the pollen must be removed,or sleeved,before the pollen dries enough to detach from the anthers.Shaking the flower enough to apply a shield would be enough to shake pollen loose, if it's dried.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here