Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie_h

Recommended fungicides other than Captan?

Edie
10 years ago

I just lifted my new "Evergreen" bulb, which has only two live roots, to check on it. I had it sitting on top of damp Lambert mix with only the roots and bottom of the bulb buried. The basal plate is covered in fluffy gray stuff resembling a dust bunny or downy feathers. I think it's mold. Sorry, no pictures until I get a camera or a new phone with camera. Before planting I sprayed it with what I had on hand, then let it dry overnight. My spray was Ortho Elementals 3-in-1 Rose & Flower Care. It's a liquid which contains sulfur and pyrethins. Clearly the antifungal part didn't work. I've finished the bottle anyway.

I searched for Captan locally and haven't found it anywhere yet. Looks like my options are: Sulfur in liquid or powder form. Copper. Neem. Daconil. Cinnamon in my cupboard, which might be cassia, I don't know how to tell. What would you recommend?

I saw Captan on Amazon but it may be another item they can't send me. I once tried to get mosquito dunks through Amazon and the site told me they couldn't ship to NY because of state laws, but the stores here sell them. I don't understand that. The stores also carry Malathion, but not the Dimethoate Hans uses. They're both organophosphates but beyond that I don't know how they compare.

Edited to add: I didn't want to put the bulb back on the moist potting mix. I placed it on a saucer on its side to let it dry again. Was that the right thing to do?

This post was edited by edie_h on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 15:01

Comment (1)