Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gyozu

Red Blotch: Is this what I should do.

gyozu
13 years ago

I have noticed over the last couple of years that the leaves on my plants were developing red rusty spots that would eventually kill the leaf. The plants, however continue to bloom quite nicely, throw offset bulbs and leafout with long dark green fronds.

I know they are very common types, but I do not want to get rid of these bulbs for sentimental reasons. 2 of the three original bulbs came from a departed relative over 10 years ago. Over the years my herd has gone from 3 original bulbs to over 40. I have started to group the three colors into one bowl and place them with friends and family so that they can enjoy a wonderful blooming display and then I take them back till next year. None of the people have Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) and I do not trade with anyone.

In searching around it seems that I might be able to eradicate or at least slow down the spread by either a 30 Minute soaking of the bulbs in hot (104 F - 114 F) degree water or treat with a Thiophanate based fungicide (Benlate).

My question is:

Is there a better treatment than fungicide or hot water bath?

Would it be wise to combine the two treatments?

How should I prep the bulbs for treatment?

I have just brought them in for the resting period and to let the leaves dry out. They are all due for repotting and the will all need to be treated.

Following are some photos. The blooming picture is from 03-2009.

Click thumbnails to enlarge image.

{{gwi:435275}} {{gwi:435277}} {{gwi:435278}} {{gwi:435279}} {{gwi:435280}} {{gwi:435281}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions