Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Embryo rescue

I am going to try to rescue embroyonic hippies tonight from a cool cross; the nearly ripe pod is aborting. Any hints? I am using supplies from the lab at work (YAY DMPK lab!!) and this paper as a basis.

Sigh...these green children are a lot of work!!

Wish me luck!
K

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikeda et al paper on embryo rescue in Lilium spp.

Comments (20)

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I get an error when trying to open your link, Kristi... though it does sound extremely interesting!

I wouldn't begin to know how to rescue an aborting seed pod... in the world of breeding I'm familiar with, aborting is, unfortunately, nature's way of eliminating what would not be strong, able, or is in some way not viable.

How that might translate to plant material, I couldn't say.

I do wish you the best of luck, though!

• chickens_on_mars
    11 years ago

Go for it and please take pics of your project.
    This should work. Fingers crossed.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I can't open the link either. It it just the seedpod that is shriveling, the pedicel and stem are still firm? How many weeks old is this seedpod and how much longer do you expect it had to go?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The scape is failing and the whole thing is looking droopy.
    The seeds are 25 days old and it looked like it had another couple weeks. I think I mentioned to Donna over the weekend that scape was starting to look suspicious.

Guess I'll know when I cut into it!
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I just cleaned up the kitchen. Will post a couple photos (in 2 messages). There were over 50 empty seed coats in the ovum, but I managed to pull out 11-12 healthy, although premature, fat and green embryonic Hippeastrum seeds.

I made 2 different kinds of medium B5 and MSO(?)...after consulting with lab friends, the agar had some modifications that have been noted. Let's just say, I did my best!! Now time will tell.

2 messages (this and next) will show 1) waste seeds and 2)the good seeds plated. They are tucked away in the dark. 14 weeks is a very long time to wait, but maybe since these were 26 days along, they will progress faster.
    K

PS...I have tried to link to the article again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikeda paper --- trying again

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the healthy seeds....plated.
    K

OK...Link still doesn't work, but it's a simple Google search for Ikeda and embryo recsue. There is a full .pdf available for free.

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Go Kristi Go!

The lovely San Antonio Rose (H. aulicum var. stenopetalum x H. traubii f. doraniae) was produced via embryo rescue.

I'm cheering for those seeds. Thank you for trying to provide them with some germination aid.

Hugs,

Blanca

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Neat - had no idea that was possible! Good luck - I'll be very interested to hear how it goes.

Original Author
    11 years ago

For the Ikeda article...click on the DOWNLOAD .PDF link above the word ABSTRACT.
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to abstract, which has link to .pdf

• haweha
    11 years ago

From my understanding, Rescuing Embryos makes sense but from seeds that these are and "good" in the first place.The isolation of the Embryo, services to prevent from detrimental procedeeings that these would occur, but only during natural germination of the whole seed grain.
    Due to the genetic constellation, an incompability of the mixed parental genomic parts,

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Highly interesting, Kristi... I wish you the best luck!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Hans-Werner,

I only plated the embryos that were plump and green. All others were discarded. I could tell that most of the seeds wouldn't have been good....had the pod gone to maturity. Nothing more discouraging than making an interesting cross only to find out that the pod is full of black pock-marked seeds. Actually, the few good seeds confirm (to me) that the cross took and that this wasn't a self, as the pod would have been full of fat seedlings if it had been a self.

I guess we'll see what happens! I will try and hold off checking on them more often than weekly.

Kristi

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Very very interesting! Thanks for the links and the pics. Please keep the updates coming. Good luck! Happy gardening, Grant.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

So, how are they doing? I'm sure you must have peeked a few times by now....

Original Author
    11 years ago

There's some mold/fungus, but I do see that a couple have sprouted. I'm not giving up on them as I can clean them up once they are seedlings.
    K

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

How is this project going?

--Rr

Original Author
    11 years ago

Some mold issues, but 2 are doing ok. I am trying to ignore them for the 12-16 weeks.
    K

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi,

Ya...good luck on that one. Old nosey me would peeking at them all the time. lol. How 'bout some pictures????

Fred

• ajsblu_eyes
    11 years ago

K,
    I have some questions as I don't have your lab background did you use the MS base (murashige & skoog) powder base that you had to add sucrose and/or agar to? I am interested in trying this myself and I am needing some input and/or recomendations when it comes to these supplies.

AJ/Ashley

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ashley I did add some sucrose. I used the paper that I linked to. Some of it was "guesstimating"...
    K

Sponsored
More Discussions