Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

This new greenhouse is huge!!

I was foolish to think I could do this by myself, but 0800 there I was, in my PJ's no less, out to set up the "new and larger" pop-up greenhouse!

Last night I went to the side yard and cut the remaining bulbs down (my method...not for everyone).

{{gwi:435335}}

The old one was looking pretty shabby after 3 summers in the hot Texas sun. The blue tarp is to cover a big hole in the roof, where it is separating from the front at the seam. Lovely sun rot!

{{gwi:435336}}

The box for the new greenhouse looks innocent enough. I guarantee she is not really holding THIS greenhouse bag, as it weighs a whopping 60 pounds! Even the grandmotherly-type woman on the box can just put it up in minutes (no mention of son AND husband having to help!). Since I have neither, it was just ME...in my PJs...ready to have it assemble itself...HA!

{{gwi:435337}}

Well, this is the last time it will be in a bag. There's no freaking way it will ever go back in there!

{{gwi:435338}}

Ok, we're ready...come on....ASSEMBLE YOURSELF!!

{{gwi:435339}}

Well, it tried!

And, of course, it finally expanded, poles were inserted, etc. And...of course, I am missing one pole!! The main one that runs the length of the roof that all the side poles snap into. Off to hardward store to get PVC...and call made to mfr. ARGH Took 2 hours and I was drenced with sweat!

{{gwi:435340}}

All in all, it's bigger than I recall ordering. This one is 9'x9' (I thought I ordered 8'x8')! Old one was 6'x6'.

And...the old one is folded and shoved back into its bag, ready to sit by the curb on Wednesday!

Comments (18)

• edubose98
    11 years ago

How much does the new one cost?

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it was $399 and the shipping was free!
    :-)

• edubose98
    11 years ago

That's not bad...who u order it from?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Greenhouse megastore I think. The brand is Flowerhouse and the style is Farmhouse...lots of places sell them.
    K

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

That looks fantastic! My greenhouse was built by my father when he hammered a bunch of 2x4's together for me. The plastic on the greenhouse never lasts beyond one season. Once spring comes around, it starts cooking inside there even though the doors are left open 24/7. Then the plastic just pops and shreds apart when summer sets in. I put a tarp over the top during summer to protect the shade-loving plants that I usually keep in there. When the lows start hitting 30's, tarp is removed and fresh plastic is put on the greenhouse for the winter and I keep the plants going with a heater if it'll be freezing.

I usually keep the year old amaryllis seedlings inside the greenhouse but the older ones are left outside to winter if I still have them in their pots and flower boxes.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Holly Molly!! And you did all that in your PJs..no picture of you in your PJs??

Looks Great and when the wrinkles come out it will look even better (just kidding)..
    Can't wait to see it full of blooming flowers!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

tried to upload photo of me in front of final product, but Photobucket wouldn't cooperate.

So, I've brought in about 50 pots tonight. How would you arrange them?? I am trying to alphabetize, but ones that are special or need special attention are going in other places. THOUGHTS/other ideas??

Here's the PJ shot for Donna....
    {{gwi:435341}}

...and the old GH shoved in a bag...could almost zip it closed...
    {{gwi:435342}}
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I'd just mix them all up first come first serve.you'll probably be moving them around anyway as they bloom and you take their portraits...I guess you're way more organized than I'll ever be..Oh,and your PJs are VERY glamorous..really!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh NOOOOOO! I need to know where they are all!! Of course as scrapes grow they'll get moved, but I have to keep track of all my hippi kids!

Remember last year I inventoried by shelf! This year if I can be sort of organized I won't have to do that.

I have my first cute visitor; a big green anole is in the GH.
    K

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Great job with the GHouse Kristi, looks good!

I find PJs to be the ultimate gardenwear; at the moment I'm into orange and pink stripes...

Original Author
    11 years ago

Lena,
    Today I'll be moving pots for a couple hours. It's pink with black Scottie dogs for me! What's the difference between this and a T-shirt and sweats, right?!
    K

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok...if I can stand up straight tomorrow, I'll be amazed! Another day of lots of lifting. I used muscles I forgot I had!!

Nearly all of the hippis from the side yard are moved into the GH. It still looks so bare to me. I went from 36 sq ft to 81 sq ft of floor space, so over twice the room. I also doubled the shelf spaces. I do have about 7 or 8 pots of H. Papilio to bring in from the front yard and will probably bring in my crinum too. I have some plumeria that I grew from seeds and a big basil plant that I have brought in. So with all this extra room, well... I'll find a way to fill it.

I did rig up a main roof "beam" from 9' of CPVC and plastic tubing for sleeves for the side supports.

I have enough room to really work in it and think that once the bulbs go dormant I'll repot some of the up to larger pots. I'm like a kid in a candy shop with so many options. Donna joked that I should get a comfy rocking chair and I could sit inside and knit. Can't wait for the first real rain as it's sort of cool to listen to the rain in the GH roof.

This should be a good winter, but I can't wait for March/April when it will be full of blooms!!

Sorry to ramble. Can you tell I'm pretty happy with it? It's HUGE...but will get plenty of use in January when I'm home for a month. Maybe all that repotting will make the time pass more quickly... But carrying things on crutches will be tricky. Maybe I can stack up a bunch of new pots with fresh soil in preparation. Or... I can just sit and knit...
    K

• blancawing
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Kristi!

I am loving your comment about "all this extra room." There is absolutely no doubt that you will fill it up in record time. Hope that your sore muscles have recovered. Cheers to you for getting that big job done solo and with an important part missing too.

-Blanca

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Awesome! Kudos on self-construction! Great job, Kristi! I see a lot of extra room... for new plants?! ;-)

Most excellent! Congratulations! :-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Jodi... Happy Thanksgiving!!!
    K

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too... and Happy Holidays as time flies on by! :-)

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Wow, very impressive! It looks huuuuuuge and like a lot of work to set up. It's so fun to see it going up and getting filled. I hope you and your plants love it. Keep us posted. You're definitely giving me a greenhouse craving! Happy gardening!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Grant, they had a big sale going on...with free shipping. Go to greenhousemegastore.com
    K