Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed to bloom

Posted by carmen_grower_2007 4/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 15:39

How long does it take? About 10 years ago, I started lots of seeds that I had crossed with two unknown varieties. I transplanted them to the yard once the soil was warm. They were growing beautifully with lush foliage.

Well, we had to sell our house and move. I had lots of named daylilies I dug and took with me, but left the Amaryllis. Now, I wish I could have seen them bloom! Want to try again, but need seeds -- where would I get them and how long will it be before the bulbs are blooming size?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed to bloom

Hi Carmen, It only takes about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years to get a blooming size bulb as long as they're happy. Stick around the forum, amaryllis season is just getting into full swing and folks may have some extra seeds in a couple of months. I'll have a few extra seeds in a few months also..Or, you can go to Lowe's or someother place buy 2 or 3 different varieties and pollen for your own creations. If you're in zone 4/5 you'll be growing them inside for most of the year....too bad you had to leave your others, they were probably very pretty, hopefully, someone else was able to enjoy them...

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here