Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis update

Posted by nopets 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 15:41

It is growing quite well, my hubby is surprised that it even started to grow again. I have heard that I may have 6 blooms on it this year, if it does it will be beautiful. I am trying to get the stalks straighter this year by rotating them while they are growing, I can tell by which way they are leaning and I just turn the pot and they are just fine. Will give more updates when there is something to report. Thanks for being patient,lol!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis update

Did it only have 2 blooms/scape last year? 3/scape would be odd (no pun intended) and 6/scape is not too common. I think you'll likely have 4 (x2=8!).
K

o

It only had 4 blooms on each scape, I had 2 scapes and 4 blooms on each scape. It is doing alright. I kept watching them when they bloomed and it was amazing! But don't worry, I won't drive you folks crazy with too many posts.

o

4/scape is normal, so it's not a case of "only", it's what was supposed to happen! With hippis, it's not a case of them giving more blooms/scape as they get older, but you should get more scapes from a jumbo sized bulb....yours in a few years.
K

o

I thought on a whim I would just check and see, and guess what? There is actually another one coming up through the middle between the other two! I guess you were right kaboehm, I did not think mine was big enough for another scape to come up but it fooled me again!;)

o

nopets,
Are you sure those are scapes rather than leaves? Although I cannot be certain about the largest one, the two others look too thin to be scapes.

o

Now that I look at them better, you might be right Macroclemys, they do look rather thin. Do the leaves come up before the scapes sometimes? When I got this last year the scapes were already coming up, so this is a new experience for me, more updates later.

o

Does anyone know how to correct this problem? I am not quite sure how it got that way, I tried to keep it turned, but obviously it did not work, not obsessing, just wodering if anyone has had or is having the same problem.

o

You are right, these are the leaves, I don't see any sign of scapes, but I am not worrried, if they don't bloom this year maybe they will next year.

o
Hippeastrum Melfi

This message is for Joshua .
Where do you have the hippeastrum Melfi.
Thank you.

o

NoPets...this is why I trim the necks when they are dormant....gives plenty of room for growing leaves.
K

o

PS...NoPets, scapes have a tiny notch at the tip and leaves do not. So even when the tiniest bit is showing, you can tell if it's a leaf or a scape.
K

o

rabbit ears are getting taller.

o

damage on edge suggests you may have mites....
K

o

Can I just trim that edge?

o

why? the mites are most likely in the bulb. Do a search of this forum for "mites" to learn more. Trimming the edge will do nothing to solve the problem.
K

o

The one solution that I read was to clean the leaves with a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol on it, do you think that would help or should I just throw it away? I don't want to do that but if it is not going to grow right, there is no reason to keep it. I don't want to take the bulb out of the potting soil, what do you suggest? As you can see there is some red on the leaf just below where the damage is.

o

NoPets, go get a good multipurpose plant spray: fungicide, miticide, insectide. Shultz's makes a good one that is safe to use indoors.

K

o

It is snowing now, yuck!!!! Do you think I will get a scape this year or not?

o

I question whether this kind of damage is reliable for diagnosing the presence of bulb mites. On this forum and elsewhere, it is often cited as evidence of bulb mites, but I think this kind of damage might also be caused when a young, tender leaf is forced through a narrow scape. I have seen this on a couple of plants that show no other signs of having bulb mites, and considering that the leaves otherwise look healthy on the photos above, this seems plausible. I am speculating, so I would be curious what others think of this possibility.

Bill

o

Well, something is definitely going on as the leaf now has red spots! The all purpose spray should handle this. Recently there were posts about this edge damage being a sign of mites, but I agree with Bill that it could also be damage from trying to push through a narrow neck. I still suggest some management, even on this lone bulb. I know Nopets wants to take good care of it! Nopets....if it went dormant, you could get a holiday scape, but if not, you may have to wait until springtime.

I don't see this in my "flock" of hippis, but I use a systemic insecticide on each pot and each bulb has it's neck cut back each winter while dormant; thus my leaves are free to emerge straight out of the bulb.

I did move all the pots (I'm guessing 300+) to the greenhouse. Still a few more to move from the front and back porch. We are supposed to hit 30 on Wednesday, so will be moving huge pots of Plumeria, etc today.
K

o

Kristi,
Which systemic insecticide do you use? I have been using acephate as a preventative when my plants are outdoors, but it is supposed to have only limited efficacy against mites, and it smells too much to use indoors.

o

Bayer 3 in 1 granular. Very stinky for sure...it clearly says not to use indoors.
K

o

There is a small leaf on the one side, should I try to get rid of it? There is some scar tissue on the very tip, would it be a good idea to trim that off? It is very short and I have not been paying attention so I don't know if it has grown any or not, if I get rid of that it would open up the neck some and the leaves would have more room or would that mess up the plant? No signs of any scapes yet.

o

photo nov28007.jpg
Nopets, this is how you open up a neck. Safe if you are sure no scape is coming. You could cut 1/10" at a time just to be safe.
Trimming a leaf will have minimal or no impact on the neck. I do this to all my bulbs every year.
K

o

How long should I wait until I am sure there is no scape coming? I keep looking and I don't see anything new happening except for VERY tall leaves, will it start growing again after I do that?

o

The longer you wait, the more apt you are to slice a scape. I force nearly all my bulbs to dormancy and then slice. Then I get loads of blooms in the springtime.
K  photo 20110311_26.jpg

o

should I slice and force it into dormancy? I can put it in the kitchen on the floor and it will be beside the calla lily, it will be in the dark and it is cool there. Any advice such as what you kind folks have given me helps alot. I wanted it to bloom for Christmas but I think unless I buy another one that is not going to happen, I am wondering if Wal-Marts has the dwarf ones?

o

NoPets,

I would do nothing at this point and I certainly wouldn't cut any leaves off at this point. Let your bulb continue to grow with it's current leaves in a sunny window and maybe if you're lucky you'll get a scape. Just remember, not all of us get our bulbs to bloom for us every single year. Perhaps if you continue to let your bulb grow through the winter you might get a scape next spring or even next summer.

At this point the time to cut the leaves and neck would be next Oct or so.
My advice to you is to go out and buy another bulb and I'm sure it will bloom for the holidays for you and you will have flowers that will make you happy and hopefully your first one will bloom next year...next year after all, is only a little more than a month away..get a different color this time.

Donna

o

I think that is what I am going to do, the leaves are pretty and green especially with the snow outside. Any time I can get green or pretty colors in the winter I am happy. I think I will try to get my hubby to go to Wal-Marts and get a dwarf Amaryllis plant, I need to tell him to get any color besides red, maybe pink or any other color, also a BIG bulb!

o

Nopets, I hadn't seen any dwarf amaryllis at W. Where do you live? Most of the boxed bulbs I've seen have already bloomed inside the boxes. Sad..

Email me through the forum. Go to my page and send me an email.I want to ask you something off the list.
Kristi

o

I think I see either another leaf or maybe hopefully a scape. I can't take a picture of something so close or it would be blurry. So I got one as close as I could, it does look like something is coming up, let me know if I am just imagining it or is it really something.

o

OMG....LOL!! What is in that tea??
Sorry, but I don't see it.....
K

o

I don't see this in my "flock" of hippis, but I use a systemic insecticide on each pot and each bulb has it's neck cut back each winter while dormant; thus my leaves are free to emerge straight out of the bulb. Kristi
Kristi would you also cut the bulbs that do not go dormant say Papillio?
I also behead my mature bulbs Not for opening of neck but for Cleaner looks and for better effectiveness of insecticide
My young plants in beds get pulled down so it also helps in removal of soil to expose them.

Without cutting

With cutting

Arif

o

I don't trim H. Papilio or others that I grow as evergreens (species). Also, I let the youngsters grow until they have bloomed once and then, as the necks tend to lengthen and narrow, they get cut.

It's quite an undertaking, but after loosing several scapes years ago, because they couldn't get through really narrow necks, it's become an annual practice. They all get dusted with Captan and a check-up at the same time. I guess this is the 5th year and it works for me. That's the beauty of this "hobby", we do what works for us!!
K

o

We went out and got another Amaryllis bulb from Walmarts, it is called Apple Blossom, but I know just like you guys know, what is on the box is not always what is inside. Hopefully it will bloom for the hloidays, I have the potting soil next to the stove so it can warm up while I inspect the pot it might need some holes in it, for some reason they don't ever have holes in them.

o

Here is the new one that we got today, the potting soil was cool but dry, so hopefully it will grow and bloom, more updates later, I wish I could have another one, but I don't have any more dishes to use as holders. I always wanted a dwarf amaryllis but he got this one when I was not with him and he did not know. So until something happens, I won't say antything else.

o

• Posted by edie_h 5aNY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 14:41

Nopets, your hubby did good. Apple Blossom is an an older variety that has stood the test of time. It's a common one but still special. Many of the forum members got Apple Blossom as a surprise substitution. But usually when you buy one on purpose you actually get Apple Blossom.

And if the pot lacks holes, definitely put some holes in, or get a pot that does have holes and repot. I buy orphaned plates at the thrift shop to use as saucers.

o

How long before it greens up? Just repotted it yesterday, just wondering.

o

Nopets....Are you trying to break your old record while waiting for your first scape?? Only 4-6 weeks til blooming x 2 messages / day ==___?? (ROTFL, just kidding, hehe) Remember that bulb was harvested long ago (end of summer-ish) and packed in that box where it's been sitting; those leaves have been growing in a box in near total darkness. Please, give it a few days in the light to start photosynthesizing!! They will start getting green after that. Do you have it someplace where it is getting good light for half the day??
It's a good thing you only have a couple of bulbs. If you had more, you would worry yourself sick!! :-)
K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 7:24

o

Hey..... Nopets.... Come on....tell us if the leaves are green yet? Come on....tell!
K

o

NoPets,
I'm sure you'll enjoy your Apple Blossom when it blooms. Did you know that it is fragrant making it all the more enjoyable?? In a few days the leaves will turn green and start to grow in earnest and you can give your hubby a big kiss when it blooms!!

Donna

o

It has turned green and on the opposite side of the neck, there is another bit of green poking up! I thin it is a stem but until more of it comes out, I really can't tell. Will try to get a pic for you to see if you can see it.

o

I think I see the telltale "notch". You are officically on SCAPE WATCH!!
K

o

Got a small question, this small green leaf that was there when I opened the box has not gotten any bigger, should I cut that off? It looks like it has stalled in growing, the scape however is doing fine. Just wondering about the other green leaf. Would I hurt the scape if I cut it down to the stem where it is growing? Here is a pic of what I am talking about, this is the leaf that is not doing anything.

o

Nopets, I'd just leave it. It looks like a leaf that had broken off.
K

o

The red on my original one has spread, it is now on the bulb where the green was before, don't know what to do about it, the really tall leaf looks like it does when it needs water, it is starting to curl up at the end. It is thick near the neck and thin at the end. The one with the red is leaning way over and looks terrible, I don't know what to do about it, I may have to throw it out because I don't want to have the one that is growing good to get it. I have separated the two and so far have seen no red on the new one. Here is a pic, as you can see the red has spread. I was moving it and the bad leaf just broke in half, now what do I do?

o

broken leaf, it sure had a lot of water in it.

o

Did you buy the fungicide spray? Shultz's (sp?) miticide-insecticide-fungicide?
K

o

no, I did not, I am going to be on Christmas shutdown pretty soon and we are saving every extra penny we can. I did not know what kind to get that would not stink up the house and not cost an arm or leg.

o

This spray doesn't stink up the house and it's very reasonable. Should be very reasonably priced. I'd look on line for other fungicidal treatments. Could be as simple as dabbing on or spraying a weak bleach solution. Up to you of course. Throwing it away would surely be the easiest "out". Guess we never said it would be easy, but when you get a problem you need to deal with it.

o

Got a question, is Apple Blossom a dwarf amaryllis? It looks awfully small to have that giant stem. I won't be disappointed if it is but can someone tell me from the picture?

o

Apple blossom is not a dwarf it is big and beautiful.

o

Martha,
Are you saying that the bulb looks small? If so, will require more pampering as AB bulbs can get nice and big!

I've not seen (or heard of "dwarf" amaryllis), only minis.
K

o

okey dokey, I was just wondering, I just watered it the way you told me to, so won't water it again for at least 7-10 days. I am anxious to see it bloom. I looked at Walmarts for minis but all they had was Apple Blossom, Red Lion, and Minerva. And no minis.

o

As of 12-13-2013, it is growing quite well and fast too, so far I only have one scape, but that won't be disappointing.

o

It is now over 12 inches tall, it also has done some interesting gymnastics since it started to grow good. Is this a good way to keep it staked up? The cloth is real soft and tied just enough to keep it from falling over. As you can see, I have a white poinsetta in the corner.

o

Anything that doesn't strangle it and will hold it up will be just fine. Try turning the pot several times a day as these plants tend to grow towards the light. Some are more phototropic than others and must be turned a few times a day. It's looking good....

Donna

o

I just looked between the two leaves, and there is something coming up, hard to tell if it has a notch or not, I just looked closer and I am pretty sure it is another scape! Yippee! Will take a picture when it grows higher.

o

Here is one shot of the new scape. I see the telltale notch!

o
RE: Amaryllis blooming

Amaryllis opening up.

o

Looking great!
K

o

Looking great! I'm not so sure that it's going to be Apple Blossom though...but you'll know soon.....

o

That new growth between leaves looks pretty skinny/thin. I know you'll keep an eye on it and keep us posted.

I had a bulb that was supposed to be H. Apple Blossom, but it ended up being H. Susan. Pretty still.
K

o

I believe that the one that I thought was a scape is in fact a leaf, as you said K it is pretty thin. But here is the blooms, still not sure if it is Apple Blossom or Susan.

o

My neighbor just gave me another Apple Blossom amaryllis bulb, I don't know if it will grow, but I planted it and it is behind the other one. Merry Christmas to all.

o

Why would you think it wouldn't grow!
K

o

The roots looked awfully dried out.

o

The colorful rabbit ears!

o

It will grow new roots. Those dried roots are of no use to the bulb.

You need to stop worrying....the bulb will be fine once the bulb is planted and watered! As long as the bulb is fairly healthy, it will grow all sorts of fat white roots!
K

o

I do believe it is Susan, here is a picture of it opening its bloom.

o
RE:Susan Amaryllis

I do think that this is a Susan Amaryllis, it is GORGEOUS!!!!

o

H. Susan is a soft pink. Yours sure doesn't look pink!!
K

Here is a link that might be useful: H. Susan on Emaryllis.com

o

Deleting duplicate post!
K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 14:55

o

I don't know what you've got there but it doesn't appear to be Susan, but who cares, it's beautiful!

Donna

o

Seems like we saw many H. Amigo in boxes last year...
This could be one. Trying to figure out the color...pinkish red?

K

o

Nopets,

Whatever it is - it is gorgeous!! Wow - and what a great color - so vibrant! That definitely adds color to your winter palette.
-J

o

And I have another one that I just planted the other day and it is already greening up!

o

There you go, sounds like you're getting the hang of it!!

o

Leaves are growing real good, this is a picture of them, these are on the amaryllis that just bloomed.

o

Oops... Not H. Amigo! Donna reminded me that H. Amigo has a thin white star. Hmmm... I didn't recall that!
K

o

I looked at my pictures of the Red Lion amaryllis that I had last Christmas and they look the same, so I am guessing that is what it is.

o

Well, it is a standard box bulb... One of the basic 3.
K

o

Since the blooms have died, I cut the stem down to about 2 inches above the neck, or should I cut them all the way to the neck? Here it is now.

o

I let my scapes wilt and then when it's limp or bend/folds over, I cut it back. That closes up the opening at the bulb. As you can see yours has left a nice hole… So be very careful not to get water into it.

o

I bottom water that amaryllis so there is no chance of getting water in it. Thanks for the tip.

o

That's good!! Keep DH away from the watering can!!
There are about 5 ways to handle spent scapes (cut them right off, leave them and let them wilt, let them dry up completely, cut or pull them out)...so whatever works for you is great! Not everyone is as careful with water as you are!
:-)
K

o

These are the leaves of the amaryllis that just bloomed, they are really getting tall.

o

Martha,
I have to ask about the clipping of the tufted titmouse that is prominent in so many of your photos. Is that a common bird in your area?
K

o

yes it is, they love the sunflower seeds and the suet cakes also, they are here all the time no matter what season it is. They are so pretty.

o

These are the leaves from the old amaryllis that bloomed this year, I had to help support the leaves because they were trying to flop over. The picture of the Tufted Titmouse is in the picture too, I saw one today, tried to take its picture but they are really quick, they fly in grab a bite and take off, so it is really hard to get one. Besides my feet were getting cold from standing by the front door, it is made with glass instead of wood and it does not stop the cold from coming in the bottom when the wind blows, this spring if we are still here I am going to ask the neighbor who works with wood how hard it would be to make a front door so that it will block some of the winter weather.

o

Hi everyone if you live in Canada try storing your bulbs in the fridge in a paper bag mark the date on the bag and store it for 3 months I been growing for 5 years and no bloom now putting them in the fridge it been working great now I have to buy different colors
Lorna

o

Martha,
hehehe...love the rope!! I may put some green twisty plant ties in an envelope and ship it off to you!!
K

o

I bought an amaryllis bulb two months ago, was hoping for a Xmas bloom. Hah ! It has not grown even a smidge ! lol The bulb is green and solid, can anyone tell me why and what to do about this please ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here