Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Maguire's 'Indian Fairy'

Hello Everyone....Here is my next to bloom, Indian Fairy...She starts out looking like a waterlily and is a dusky salmon pink and they when she opens all the way she turns a more coraly salmon...white brushing on the front and back and she is highly fragrant! Four flowers @ 5" and a about a 12" stalk. Hope you enjoy her...

Donna

{{gwi:435444}}

{{gwi:435445}}

{{gwi:435446}}

Comments (33)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

WOW! Marvelous.

When you say highly fragrant, how does that compare to an average rose in strength?

This sounds like my perfect hippie, it's salmon, double, and fragrant! :)

• tiarella
    13 years ago

Is Maguire's a supplier/breeder? Just asking a silly question?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Maguires is a nursery in Australia which hybridizes and supplies bulbs to Australia. This was from a co-op that ordered over 300 bulbs that were sent over here several months ago. They don't sell directly to the U.S. it has to be a group order as they require a minimum of 100 (not sure) bulbs. You will see many more bulbs from this order that have been posted from members of this group on this forum, just go back a few pages.

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Oh Donna, that one is just gorgeous. I need to write that on my list. You captured the color just right. Alana

• haxuan
    13 years ago

Wow, wow, wow... it's so beautiful! Many thanks for sharing, Donna.

• venkyblr
    13 years ago

Lovely bloom. Thank you for sharing.

• Carl
    13 years ago

I really dislike doubles, but this one is cool. That is saying a lot, I would love to smell it!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I'm not very fond of doubles but this one is beautiful! I think this and "Greatness" are in a tie for best doubles!

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

I dislike doubles too - often they seem too "messy" in the middle. But this utterly gorgeous, and well-formed - I wish I could have access to something like this in Canada.

• drgulley
    13 years ago

Love it!!!! May have to add this one to my wish list for next year. Thanks for sharing.

Dianne

• paul_
    13 years ago

Lovely!

• quail
    13 years ago

Hi, all. Thanks so much for your descriptions of this lovely sounding amaryllis! I'm blind, so can't see the pictures. But based on your descriptions, it sounds like the colors are very interesting. And it's fragrant, too! Sounds like one I'd like to add to my collection. So, if you do another co-op this coming year, be sure to let me know :-) Michelle

• chazparas
    13 years ago

WOW, the side view looks like a double magnolia, just gorgeous. Hope I have my greenhouse by next years coop! That is one of the most beautiful hippis I've seen.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

gorgeous, my list for next year is getting too long already!
    Tally HO!

• primeribs
    13 years ago

Stunning!! Maguires really has the best pink/salmon hybrids don't they? Do you have more on the way Donna?

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Donna, that is one stunning flower!! Your photography really captures it's beauty. Such a rich color, too. None of my Maguires have bloomed yet...hopefully this year!

Michelle, how very brave of you to join us and share Amaryllis from a wholly different angle! I am so glad to meet you and will keep you in mind when I come across fragrant ones.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone, I'm so pleased that you like Indian Fairy...I know there were two others who bought this variety also (Frank in Germany? has yours bloomed yet). I have to add one more picture, this was taken late in the afternoon around 5:00 (before time change) and it glowed pink just so pretty. Hope you like this one too! I have to add that my Indian Fairy bulb is a little punky, it has roots but the second scape shriveled so I think I will be ordering another next year, I couldn't live without this one!!

Primeribs, I do have about 10 more, but they are very slow, I only have one more to post and that will be it for a while...and... they are already taking "tentative" orders for next year's Maguire's order on LP take a look and if you don't belong to that forum, you can email Ryan and he will post your "tentative" list for you...this list is basically reserving some of the varieties that are low in supply, and after a while Ryan will email Maguires and ask him to hold these bulbs for next year's order!

Thanks to all for all your positive words on my flowers it is really appreciated! I love everyone elses photos also so keep posting.. there are many people out there who participated in the order who are not yet sharing there blooms...!
    {{gwi:435447}}From M A G U I R E ' S~~ O R D E R~~ J U L Y~~ 2 6~~ 2 0 1 0

{{gwi:435448}}

By the way, I have selfed Rebel and have two pods that hopefully will survive.. Haven't had much luck pollinating with Maguires as of yet, I only have 6 seeds from Surprise x Party Pooper...they are soaking right now, will see if they germinate, they were really tiny. I'm hoping for a bumper crop of Rebel seeds so I can share them with anyone who wants them! So far.. so good!

Donna

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

It is a grand double. I love well formed doubles.I have almost stopped crossing singles.
    Arif

• quail
    13 years ago

Thanks, Cindeea. I really do enjoy their fragrance! Since my first two were fragrant, I didn't realize at first that they didn't all have a scent. Since then, however, I've learned that it is more common for amaryllis/hippeastrums not to have a scent, so I'm very thankful that my first introductions to these wonderful flowers were fragrant. Unfortunately, I do not know the names of my first two. The first, from my parent, was not labeled, and the second was given to me by a friend who has them growing in her yard. I don't think I have pictures of either of these, but the next time they bloom, I'll have my husband take pictures so I can show you all what they look like. Perhaps you'll have ideas of what they might be.
    I also find it fascinating to watch them grow. They grow so quickly!
    And, it's fun to pollinate them to see what new creations one gets! The one from my parents doesn't seem to self pollinate, but the one from my friend does. And, thus began my quest for hippies of interesting colors and characteristics. That's when I acquired my first hippies that aren't as fragrant. It's kind of weird, actually. Sometimes they seem to have some fragrance, and sometimes they don't.
    So, that's why I'm so interested in Maguire's Indian Fairy. It's fragrant and has interesting colors and characteristics!
    Donna, what does LP stand for (which forum is it)? And how do I get added to the list to get one of these? (If you'd rather not post this on the forum, perhaps someone could send me a separate email?) Thanks!
    Michelle

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Michele, I sent you an email through the GW, I hope you got it, as it didn't send a copy back to me when I pressed that button,...if you didn't receive it, let me know.....

Donna

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Michelle, my other fragrant flowers-orchids and Hoyas-seem to be only fragrant at dusk and dawn. I think the cooler temps seems to make some fragrant flowers emit their nose candy!

• quail
    13 years ago

Yes, the fragrance of some flowers are definitely affected by temperature, whether hot or cold. I have some roses that are more fragrant when it is warmer. I haven't noticed any particular pattern as to when the hippies ("Royal Velvet" and Nagano) are fragrant, but I'll continue to observe to see if I notice any. But so far, it seems rather random :-)
    Michelle

• dizzy77
    13 years ago

Indian Fairy is no longer on the Maguires list :( I hope they will have more next season.

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Oh no - no more Indian Fairy! Donna will have a waiting list for her seeds ;-)

• jamaicanmecrazy
    13 years ago

When a friend saw my Indian Fairy flower she wanted me to order one for her. I emailed Nellie from Maguire's last week and she advised me they don't have this hippeastrum anymore and it has been discontinued. I asked if she had a similar hippeastrum, she let me know that 2 2 tango would probably be the closest. I have this one as well, but the flower hasn't open yet so I can't compare. Hope this helps!

Original Author
    13 years ago

I just don't understand why Maguires discontinues all these gorgeous varieties and well.. lets face it.. not all of their offerings are worth the trouble. They have discontinued so many lovely flowers!! Oh well, I have a small amount of pollen and I am waiting for a Lemon Sorbet, and a Green Dragon. The first two flower had a small amount of pollen and the second two had virtually nothing. And of course you'd never come close to duplicating this flower anyway being a fragrant double....And to top it off, my bulb is a bit punky and the first leaf that came up turned yellow...it does have roots, but I'm quite concerned. Maybe it wasn't a good grower for people and that's why they discontinued it! But on the other hand, they discontinued Rebel and that one is to die for! I have 2 selfed seed pods and so far so good, and it's putting up leaves and it has rooted! So..why did they discontinue that one?? Hopefully I'll have enough seeds to give anyone who wants them a few...I made a vow to myself, not to plant anymore than 10-15 seeds this year regardless of the variety!! See if I can stick to that rule...

Donna

• dizzy77
    13 years ago

I Agree with you Donna, they sometimes offer some real beauties but then they seem to disappear off their list! Their are people here making a lot of money re selling these bulbs on Ebay. Another double that Maguire has discontinued is Fire and Ice, now selling for $60 on Ebay!!!
    So my advice, if theres one you like order it or pre order or else you might miss out!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dizzy, I do have Fire and Ice on my pre-order, but as it was already sold out before our order last year, I doubt that there will be any for this year...but you never know...

I know of the Australian site that sell Maguires and they seem to have more Maguires than Maguires does and many of the flowers are being sold under different names, I don't understand that and some are sold under the names that we know them as. All very confusing. But, actually I feel we are very luck to have any of these beauties...and so we'll take what we can get and be thankful for it!!

Donna

http://www.cheaperoz.com/z/result.jsp?pageid=1&q=hippeastrum

I don't know if this link will work, but you can google it yourselves if you're interested....

• primeribs
    13 years ago

Hey Donna, Thanks for the info on the preorders! I've signed up for LP today, I didn't know that's where everyone was hanging out?

• quail
    13 years ago

Indian Fairy discontinued? That's sooo disappointing :( I was really looking forward to acquiring one of these. Think I'll contact them to see what others are scented. Donna told me about several she has that are scented, but I think those aren't on the website anymore, either. Michelle

• Justin Collins
    4 years ago

Dondeldux can you still get your hands on an Indian fairy bulb or offset? Thanks so much!

• jstropic (10a)
    4 years ago

Justin you might contact Sweet Dream Amaryllis they are in florida and have bulbs from Maguire's.