Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

'Naranja'........Blooming Cycle Started....Now What ??

Just planted a super-jumbo, 6" plus, "NARANJA" bulb about two weeks ago, and it already has some flower stalks peeking out of the layers that form the bulb. I'm pretty sure I can see at least three stalks.

Normally, I would be happy to see such a great, flowering display on the horizon, but I'm sure that the forming root system has not developed to the point where it can support these flowers. This concerns me. Will the flowering cycle suck the life out of this bulb, causing it to shrink in size, and weaken? At this point there is very little that I can do but enjoy the flowers and sit back and just let Nature take over.

Any advice?

Frank

Comments (22)

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is the normal cycle of a pre-scheduled bulb, and while blooming does cause a plant to expend energy, a good regimen of care and nutrition after the bulb has bloomed will ensure that the health of the bulb remains intact.

Often, a pre-scheduled bulb will bloom before it has a chance to establish a proper root system, but this should not present a problem. Simply make sure to supply adequate support for the scape height by staking the bulb so it doesn't fall over. Turning the pot on a regular basis so all sides can receive adequate light will help maintain erect scapes.

Once the bulb blooms, it will work on growing a nice root system... don't worry. Right now, it's focusing on the reproductive cycle it's been forced into.

For future reference, I believe you can pot up freshly purchased pre-scheduled bulbs and keep the pots in a cooler room out of direct sunlight for a short time and they will focus first on root development, and then the scapes will appear. I could be wrong, and this could vary from variety to variety, too.

There are a lot of variables involved with growing and blooming Hippeastrums, and different bulbs will behave differently in different environments. Linked below is a rather detailed growing guide from White Flower Farm.

The important thing to remember at this point is to take care when watering. Over watering is the number one killer of plants in general, and Hippeastrum bulbs are especially susceptible to too much moisture. Only water as necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) Growing Guide

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik:

Thanks for walking me through the steps that my new bulb will be going through. Now I know what to expect.

I actually grew Hipps. many, many, years ago, but I didn't pay attention to anything regarding correct culture, etc. I planted, watered, then threw the bulbs away if they had the nerve to die on me. I could care less. I was young, and had little time to worry about such things. That was then and this is now.

Thanks, really, for the information. This time around, I'll try to keep the bulbs alive and well for as many years as possible.

Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

No problem, Frank... it's actually a rather interesting challenge, to see how many years you can keep the cycle going.

I've never thrown anything away that can be reused in such a capacity... except those potted Easter Lilies, and then I found out you can keep those, too, and have blooms in consecutive years. Who knew?

The funny thing is... it's usually the bulbs and plants that you could care less about that seem to do the best, and turn out to be the healthiest genetic specimens. Go figure!

When the flowers have faded, leaves will begin to show up. This is your cue to move the pot closer to a decent light source... a southern or eastern exposure with good sunlight would be best... and to begin giving it some nutrition in the form of an all purpose liquid fertilizer. I feed a constant supply of 1/4 strength mixed right into the water I use.

As a hobby, it's a rather fun one. I have bulbs that are nearing 15-20 years with me, and they're still going strong!

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik.....

My approach to the whole of growing plants has morphed considerably over the decades. I try to grow the best plants possible within the confines of my little botanical world, which amounts to windowsills, the kitchen floor next to sliding glass doors, and a small back deck. If I was blessed with a greenhouse, I'm sure by now that I would be broke!

I try to get as much enjoyment as possible from the plants that I choose, and don't lose any sleep over my botanical failures. This attitude was cultivated by my miserable track record growing orchids. The windowsill is no substitute for a greenhouse. I no longer grow orchids, which in my opinion are some of the ugliest plants God ever created ... when not in flower.

So, I'll just grow my Hipps. and see what happens. Thanks for the tips.

BronxFigs/Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

My pleasure, Frank. And I do see where you're coming from. I, too, have had to concede that my immediate environment will only support certain plant types.

I live in a second floor studio apartment with a total of 4 windows. One is taken up with a huge AC unit, so that one is unusable. The other three, which are east, north, and south are all filled to capacity with various amaryllids, a few assorted common houseplants... and surprisingly, a few Dendrobiums and one sprouted Cym backbulb.

I can't help but love orchids, even though my environment can't support most types... and believe me, I've tried most!

If something dies, I know I tried my best. I don't lose sleep over it.

We can only control what our environments will allow us to control... and the bottom line is... we never really control Mother Nature, anyway. Lesson learned through decades of canine breeding...

Trust me when I say... you don't want a greenhouse and the headaches attached. I use one in my rose and perennial business, and if it's not one thing I have problems with, it's something else. Bugs, humidity, fans, high winds, heat, cold, you name it. And at the end of every season, I have to empty the darn thing because it's not set up for winter use.

Finding a happy medium is impossible without more monetary expenditure than I can afford. Plus, like you say, I'd go nuts buying all the different plant types I like!

Over time, I've learned a lot... and I've also developed a more cavalier attitude toward my plants. I enjoy them, yes... and I do my best. But they're just plants. And life can change drastically from day to day.

Happy Gardening!

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik:

Ditto to almost everything you said. The only orchid that I could not kill was a Bl. Richard Mueller which lived for years and actually was always in flower. I grew this in a south facing window, planted in a chunky, barky, medium, kept almost dry, and I grew it warm. It kept walking out of the pot, and hanging over the sides.

Hipps. will be fairly easy once the cultural conditions are met, but, that's the rub.... the right balance of everything!

Thanks for the good comments. I enjoyed hearing from you.

Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks, Frank... I enjoy conversing with you, too.

The good thing about Hippeastrums is that they're pretty forgiving, for the most part. As long as you find a happy medium with regards to watering and light, you're in business. They love lots of sunlight. If you can provide them with decent light, keep the temps from freezing, and give them a drink when they need it, they'll reward you with lovely flowers almost annually.

My most dependable bloomer is a Minerva, a very common variety that I got for a whopping $3 many, many years ago. I bought it because it had the same name as my American Bulldog, Minnie... short for Minerva! Silly, I know.

I'd be lying if I said I treated that bulb well over the years. This is what leads me to believe it's an exceptional specimen with more genetic strength than many other bulbs.

I left it in the same poor soil for years... neglected to water it until I saw the leaves wilting... and generally treated it poorly. That is, until I developed an interest in these bulbs. At that point, I re-potted it into a better medium, and now keep a much better eye on when it gets watered and fed.

She sits up against the glass of the east facing window. She's potted in a 10" unglazed terra cotta pot. I recently separated her from her very large daughter bulb. So now I have two. The one thing she's never been at a disadvantage for is light. She's had an eastern exposure since I've had her... through three different moves into three different homes. The one constant has been decent light.

So, in the interim, I got all excited about collecting the various varieties of hybrid Hippeastrum bulbs, and I developed quite an addiction. I had over 200 bulbs at one time... in addition to the various other plants and orchids I've tried to grow over the years.

Cut to now, and I've come to the conclusion that I cannot provide the perfect environment for every plant I want to grow or breed, and I do not have the time necessary to devote to doing so. The NBF infestation I experienced was almost a blessing in disguise. It forced me, through loss, to cut back on the amount of plants I have to care for.

NBF is Narcissus Bulb Fly, and as far as pests go, it's a doozie. It's almost invisible... you'll never know it's around until you begin losing bulbs for no apparent reason. They will appear to simply desiccate, and if you happen to catch a bulb while the larvae is still in situ, it's pretty ugly. It's a small white maggot that eats the bulb from the inside, completely destroying it before you ever notice.

Google it... it's gross.

Anyhoo... I somehow lucked out and Minerva has thus far not been affected by this pest. I've taken precautions, though. Once I found it... munching happily inside my prized Eucharis... I killed that one, and proceeded to use both spray and systemic on everything else. It was too late for many, but I still have several firm bulbs.

So, all my worrying about taking the pots outdoors for summer, and all my specialized care were for naught. Things happen, and sometimes we can't do anything about it.

So now, I'm more interested in keeping a smaller number of plants happy. I'm re-potting everything, one pot at a time... and if something should not make it, that's ok. I'll not fret. It's true that the repeated blooming makes me happy, but so does the tending... and even more than that, sharing what I've learned so others can enjoy growing without taking the long road.

The orchid you mention is simply beautiful! I Googled it. It's definitely one that wouldn't like my overly dry environment. When I say it lacks humidity, I mean it's bone dry! I'm lucky the plants I have can tolerate the air... it even dries my skin, especially in winter. I can't afford to buy and run a humidifier, and my husband wouldn't let me, anyway... his hobby is electronics and technology.

I'm still waiting for my Dens to gain the age and size needed to bloom, but they're still alive... and that says a lot!

If you give your bulbs enough light, feed them and water as needed, they should bloom naturally every spring, or early in summer. Of course, you can always force a dormancy and have flowers for the Holidays if you wish. Me, I just let nature take its course. I treat my bulbs like houseplants, and they bloom almost every spring.

I really need to get moving on my systematic re-potting. I know I'd get more blooms if I got it all done.

Writing is something I enjoy, but don't let my long winded replies mean that you have to reply in kind. It's not necessary, unless you feel compelled to share, too. :-)

Have a nice evening!

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik:
    I just now went back online and saw your posting. Thanks for the brief history behind your growing experiences. Long winded, no.....informative and entertaining, yes.

Bl 'Richard Mueller is a perfect orchid for a dry environment. This is not a high-humidity orchid, but think of this plant as more of a dryish, succulent-type plant...like an Aloe. Brassavola nodosa is one of the parents, and I think it comes from the hot dry areas in Mexico, and the other half is Laelia. I grew this plant in full-sun, on a very hot, dry, shelf above a dining room radiator in the winter months, then in the full-blazing, south sun, throughout the summer months. I watered it, in the summer, with a very dilute dose of fertilizer, every few days, if it didn't rain. That's it. It constantly bloomed, and spread, then bloomed, and spread some more. It really is fool-proof, and gives a nice show. In fact, now that it is again brought to my mind, I might just seek out a division of this plant, and start growing it once more. Very easily grown, and cultural conditions are not difficult. If you can keep a cactus or succulent alive, you can grow this orchid. It really should be mounted on tree fern slabs, but pots are OK if the medium doesn't hold moisture for too long a time.

Again, thanks for the postings.

Frank

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik, et al. I memory serves me correctly, the orchid hybrid that I was growing was called: Bl. 'Yellow Bird'. This is a selected clone of Bl.'Richard Mueller'. 'YELLOW BIRD' is very easy to flower.

Best regards.....Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing your orchid information, Frank... it gives me hope that not all is lost for growing orchids in the year 'round desert I call home!

Between the large AC unit that sucks all humidity out of the air in summer, and the propane furnace that does the same in winter, it's exceptionally dry for most of the year. The presence of so many electronic items negates any thought of adding humidity... my husband would murderize me if I ruined his business! ;-)

Everyone keeps telling me how easy Phals are to grow in the home environment, but I can't seem to keep one alive for any length of time. The Dendrobiums I have are small, but for some reason they keep adding new growth and thriving, and the Cymbidium backbulb sprouted just fine and has a nice little set of leaves. Everything is stuffed in the east facing window alcove, and they seem happy enough.

I've given up on the orchid types purported to grow with ease, and I just try what I like. If it makes it, I'm thrilled... if not, well... these things happen.

My orchids grow alongside a couple of Hoya plants, some Rain Lilies, a Chalice vine, a pregnant onion, several amaryllids, and a tiny pot of mixed cacti that I grew from seed.

Among this odd collection there is one Encyclia. It almost didn't make it, but I re-potted it into a very small clay pot using some fir bark and granite chips. It sprang into action, putting on new growth.

There's also a Ledebouria struggling along, which I really need to re-pot into a more moisture retentive medium, and some of those trailing cacti type plants that sport those amazing flowers... I can't recall the general name.

Anyway, my collection is really a hodgepodge of plants that were either gifted to me, found on clearance tables, or just plants that I like and wanted to try growing. We live out in the boonies, so I shop on Ebay when the mood strikes and I have a few dollars to spend on plants.

The more I look into the Bl Richard Mueller crosses, and the orchids that went into the making, the more of an option they seem to be for a dry environment like the one I have.

What did you grow the orchid in, for medium? Everyone keeps telling me how great sphagnum moss is, but it retains too much moisture for my purposes. And the regular orchid bark chunks are just too large to retain any moisture... so I've had to find a happy place in between. I've seen amazing results from semi-hydroponic growing, so I've sort of combined the idea of semi-hydroponics and a larger particulate medium.

I use fir bark pieces, granite chips, coarse perlite... all of comparable size... and I combine those and plant the orchids in the mix. Then, I find a clear plastic deli container large enough to drop the pot inside. When I water, the excess sits in the bottom of the container and has a chance to soak up into the medium. After a while, I dump it out. This may be why some orchids don't mind so much hanging out with me! ;-)

For my next trick, I'd like to get these babies to flower! If breeding and nurturing living things has taught me anything, it's that we can only manipulate Mother Nature to a certain extent, but we can't control her. And so, I just have to wait and see what Mother Nature will do. I hope to see flowers one of these days, though.

My kids and grandkids live a few hours north of us, and there's a great orchid seller on the way. Every once in a while, we stop in on the way for a visit with family. I will make it a point to stop in next time we go north and see if they have anything in the realm of Bl Richard Mueller. Thanks so much for the heads up on that!

Have a nice day!

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik:

Back in the day when I grew Bl.'Yellow Bird"...(a "Richard Mueller" cross), the medium that I used was mostly coarse tree fern fiber and small bark chips. No perlite, no sphagnum moss. This medium holds very little water. In the wild, these orchids get drenched in morning rains, then the roots dry out in the breezes that blow past the trees/rocks. The Laelia part of this cross grows on, or very near sun-baked rocks, and also likes to get wet, then dry. In the hot NYC summers, I'd go out with a bottle of warm, lightly fertilized water and dump it over the clump. The heat would dry out the orchids in a few hours. If grown in good light, the pencil-shaped leaves will turn a dark, bronzey-red. What's nice about these hybrids is that as the flowers age they go through various color shifts, from golden yellows to creamy whites all over the clump of leaves, which constantly throw up new flowering leads. Grown right, it's always in flower. If I were to grow this plant again, I would grow it in a slatted Teakwood basket/raft and let the plant and roots hang in a breezy, sunny location. The large bulb pan that I used was too small to contain the clumps that formed. I'd line the Teakwood raft with some rustproof or plastic mesh fill it with medium and then tie the plants to this bag so that the roots could work their way into and out of the mesh contained medium while still growing on the raft. In no time the plants will wander all over the raft and hide the medium. To water, just dunk/drench the basket and let all the excess water drip away. I've killed many, many plants, but Bl. 'Yellow Bird' just kept on ticking.

The leaves on this plant are thick, succulent, waxy, stiff, and short, like a Brassavola nodosa. Perfect for hot, sunny, dry areas. Grow them like a succulent or cactus...you'll get flowers PDQ.

Hope this helps.

frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Excellent advice, Frank, thanks so very much! I'll be keeping an eye out for this, and other comparable orchid types!

Oak Hill Gardens is a hop, skip, and a jump away from our old stomping grounds, where the kids still live. We practically pass right by on our way to visit. They have an excellent variety of orchids to choose from, and I could probably even get a teak raft while I'm there! I keep meaning to stop in, anyway... they sell large bags of the fir bark I need for my medium mixes.

At the moment, I buy my fir bark in smaller bags. It's beautiful stuff... already screened and ready for use right out of the bag... but a little pricier than I'd like. It's ReptiBark reptile bedding from ZooMed, available anywhere pet products are sold. The small bags have the smallest size particles, which are perfect. My granite chips are just MannaPro poultry grit, and coarse perlite comes from our local garden center in giant bags for cheap.

I've been scoping out Ebay's orchid offerings ever since you mentioned this particular orchid, and by hook or by crook, I'll find something to ply my skills on! I really love the various blooms within the family of orchids... so many are just so gorgeous... and what the heck, I've always got room to squeeze one more plant in... especially if I can hang it! I've only got two baskets in the window right now... there's room.

Well... there's no sense in putting off the inevitable... I have to get moving and get my work done. Thanks again, Frank... that's nicely detailed growing advice. I appreciate it!

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik:.....The ReptiBark is perfect for the use as an ingredient in orchid mixes. That's exactly the kind of small bark chunks that you need together with the tree fern fiber, which looks like broken bits of black spaghetti.

Growing in a raft is nice because it can hang like a basket, or you can hang it like a plaque. By the way, I grew Phals. mounted in plaques. When grown sideways, instead of potted, water can't collect in the leaf junctions and cause rot. That's how they grow in nature, not upright and potted in medium. The flowers are displayed more naturally and the stems don't have to be staked. Try to find a blooming-size division of 'Yellow Bird', but if you can't, don't worry, it grows quickly, and matures fast.

Good luck on your quest. Give a holler if you need help.

Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks bunches! I have found a seller who has "BL Petite Stars 'LeMar'" (BL Richard Mueller x L rubescens)... might be something to think about... but I'm still hunting. I'm not in a big rush... plants can be shipped almost any time of year with heat packs and USPS Priority mail service. 2-3 days coast to coast is not bad.

I should probably research over winter, and wait to acquire anything until spring. It's funny... I always find something I want just as the weather is getting cold! Typical, though, when you consider that we spend more time on the computer when it's cold outside.

When you think about it, growing any plant in a container is unnatural... it's not at all how they grow in situ. We force them to contort their root systems and grow quite out of the norm. We're lucky they're so forgiving! Especially in the face of what the industry offers for supplies and for generally circulated information.

Anyway... I'm just having fun checking out the various websites, reading the information, looking at pictures... and when I find something I like, I'll grab it. Again, Frank... thanks for sharing the information... it sounds like just the orchid type I could have success with.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Naranja bulb in full bloom! It's a lovely color!

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik:

I'm not so sure about what kind of plant you'll get with that L. rubescens cross. L. rubescens and L. milleri are two very different plants, culture-wise that is. Caveat emptor! This cross may not work if grown warm, dry, low humidity.

Yes, I have found the best plants out-of-season for shipping also. How annoying to have to wait until warm weather arrives next year to get a damn plant! Sometime this works to my advantage though. It gives me time to search around, and since my attention span is about 30 seconds, I usually find something that I like better than the original jones.

Why not ask Oak Hill Gdns. if they will/can get you a blooming-size division of Bl."Yellow Bird"? Just a thought.

Happy hunting.

Frank

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik:

Looked up the plant you mentioned. Jewell Orchids has it listed. Superficially, the plants look similar, and the flowers on the "Petite Stars" are very nice,... especially the lip color combo. Other than that, I cannot say.

Good luck. Frank

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodik:

The 'NARANJA' bulb is sending up a second flower stalk, the soil has been treated, and the soil is drying out.

After doing a little more searching regarding the "PETITE STARS" cross, it seems to me that the L. rubescens and L. milleri might have the same cultural requirements. Earlier, I confused the L. rubescens with another species. The "PETITE STARS" has a really nice flower, and maybe these two crosses will be almost the same kind of plants, i.e. dry/warm/bright-sun/low humidity growers.

Happy growing.....Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I saw that at Jewell Orchids, Frank... thanks! It's very tempting! I think I may sit on the idea for a little while, and see what shakes out locally. I'm thinking that Oak Hill would most likely accommodate me if I ask. I've got a note attached to my desk with the orchid name on it, so I won't forget. I have an incredibly poor memory, so I automatically write things down if I want to remember them!

I've been researching since you mentioned the original name... and I think some of the crosses might be worth trying. Most should have similar characteristics... and even if they don't, it might be worth a try... you never know. I never would have thought Dendrobiums would grow for me, but they're alive and well!

I'm glad to hear that Naranja will soon be blooming! It's a really nice color! I've got one bulb in a deeper orange, and the rest of my collection are mostly reds and whites, pinks and other common shades. Green flowers have always caught my attention, so I've got a few with green petals or green eyes. But Naranja is a beauty... I think you'll like her!

For the longest time, I didn't care for the doubles... don't ask me why, I couldn't tell you! I think it was probably because they present such a challenge where pollination is concerned. Anyway, I finally acquiesced a few years ago and got several doubles. The Cybisters are the only type my collection lacks a good number of.

I even branched off into Zephyranthes, Habranthes, Rhodophiala, Crinum, Ledebouria, Clivia, and many other bulbed plants and amaryllids... it's definitely an addiction! I've got a thing for bulbs! ;-)

I finally got my soaker hoses rolled up and put away, so the only thing left to do before snow flies is store all my potted merchandise inside the garage for their dormancy... and I'm all set up for that! I'm ahead of schedule this year! Wonders never cease! ;-)

I'll just keep my eyes open, checking the various orchid sellers and Ebay... and I'll put a call in to Oak Hill and see what they can come up with. I think I'll probably come up with something before next spring breaks! Thanks for looking into it, Frank... I do appreciate the information!

Have a good day!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Boy, ask a question, and everyone is so generous with so much information to solve a problem....Thank-you, all.

Yes, "NARANJA" has started sending up a second flowering stalk, and it's lagging the first stalk by about a week. So, I'm looking forward to a nice show in the coming weeks. I'm partial to the color orange, I don't know why, so I guess this Hipp. will be what the doctor ordered!

Jodik: .... Now YOU got my "Orchid Jones" goin' again! I've been looking through orchid web-sites for the first time in 20 years ..... where the hell will I put new plants? Check out MARBLE BRANCH FARMS for "YELLOW BIRD" and another interesting cross..."CECILLIA IRENE" :)

Check out: PLANT DELIGHTS section for Zephyranthes hybrids.
    Check out: VICTOR MURILLO Clivia....Eat your heart out, and hold on to your wallet!! I called him because I "wanted" a division of his "BLUSHING LADY" .... 2 year waiting list, plants start at around 600 clams! Not for Frankie Boy! But wait!...There's more.

Check out: COLORADO CLIVIA, CALIFORNIA CLIVIA, EDEN'S BLOOMS.

Happy hunting.

Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I get such a kick out of your writing style, Frank! :-)

It was just the ticket for today, which happens to be windy as all get-out, cold, and every joint and bone in my body is protesting quite loudly! I'm pretty crippled today. I just wish the barometric pressure would sit still for a moment or two! It wouldn't be a cure all, but it would definitely help!

I've spent the majority of this morning hibernating, and searching online, using the The Orchid Mall listings, and I actually came up with a few sellers who have Bl. Richard Mueller crosses! I found about 4 or 5 different crosses... I was impressed!

Well... you can always do what I did... I filled the window sill, then expanded the sill, then put in 2 large shelving units on either side of the alcove, added a couple of tall plant stands and tables, and then installed supplemental lighting to help out through winter! Yes, it's stuffed to the gills with plant material, but I love it!

Anyone driving by would think I'm lit up for airport night ops, the lights are so bright! I run them a total of about 16 or 18 hours a day.

Broke is my middle name... so I can only spend a few dollars here, or a few dollars there on plant material... and sometimes no dollars. If I save my pennies over winter, I will have enough by spring to get a few orchids. I've got a change jar... it's kinda empty at the moment. ;-)

We're what you'd call 'in a low income bracket', but money doesn't buy happiness, so climbing that ladder of ambitious greed never did it for me. I accomplished what I set out to accomplish in life, and that's what's important to me.

Of course, it does put a bit of a damper on my plant collecting, but I get there... a little at a time. :-)

I've purchased from Edens Blooms before... they offer some unusual bulbed items from time to time, and I've always been happy with my purchases. The other places you mention I haven't heard of... but I'm off to check them out!
    The 2 Clivia plants I have were gifts... they're the more common orange and a yellow... both very nice! I was gifted with some pink Zephyranthes, and they grew so nicely that I opted to get some other colors. I'm waiting for some white one to flower, and I have a few other types in pinks and a yellow.

I'm not sure any plant is worth $600 dollars of beautiful! The way I figure it, you can get a whole lot of lovely for about $25 to $30... which seems fair to me. If I spend $600 on anything, it better come with a lot of options and a remote control! ;-)

Since getting into the old fashioned rose business, I've not been able to make up my mind as to a favorite flower color. Between everything we grow here, there are so many wonderful shapes, textures, colors, scents and everything else... who can make up their mind?! There are a few varieties that stand out in my mind as having all the qualities I admire in a rose... but they're different colors. I would have to say that green blooms and coffee colored blooms are more eye catching... but anything in bloom is beautiful!

Well... here's me going off to surf for orchids... thanks for the suggestions, Frank!

You know... you could always start out slow... allow yourself one nice orchid. Then hold off until next year for a second... hey, it might work! It depends how disciplined you are, and how many dollars you can afford to spend! ;-)

Enjoy your afternoon!

Original Author
    12 years ago

jodi:

The Orchid Mall IS a great source for looking for plants/retailer/growers, etc.....especially on a cold, nasty day that chills you to the bone. When I was younger, I couldn't wait to get out of the house, now, I can't wait to get back home!!

I usually jump into things with eyes wide shut, but this time, I am going to try to be very disciplined with shopping for some orchids. I'm going to force myself to wait until Spring,'12, before I make my move. I have a tendency to impulse-buy. A rotten trait when it comes to plants, that I must always resist. ( My latest "orchid-du-jour" craving: ..... Dendrobium aggretaum. I never tried this plant, and I think the chains of bright yellow, hanging flowers are a knockout)!

Happy shopping. Be well.

Frank

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I know what you mean, Frank! We're total homebodies, too! I enjoy very much traveling to see the kids and grandkids, or to attend family functions... and I don't even mind the occasional shopping spree... but when we're on our way back, all I can think about is getting home! Home... where my warm slippers and fuzzy robe await! ;-)

If I didn't have to leave for any reason, I'd be happy staying home. I enjoy puttering around the yard, being comfortable. Shopping online is a definite good thing!

If I thought for a second that I had a reasonable orchid environment, I'd try just about every kind there is! There are so many gorgeous flowers and growth types out there! But... it would be plant suicide, for sure!

Dendrobium aggretaum is a beauty! It looks rather large... I wouldn't have the window space for it, myself. You could always purchase a younger plant... see how it goes. What have you got to lose? Besides the initial price?

At the end of the day, you have to do what makes you happy... life is too short for "what if"... it's getting cold outside now, but spring will be here again before we know it. You've got all winter to decide on your most favorite wish list plants!

There are several orchid types I'd love to try... the Catasetums look very interesting, and the Stanhopeas look amazing. Most Dens and Cyms catch my attention, too. I just have to do my research carefully, and choose the types that have a shot at survival here!

Well... it's gonna be another long day for me... I can already tell that the barometric pressure is not gonna cooperate! It's looking like rain. Ew.

Have a great day... and remember, it doesn't cost anything to window shop! ;-)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions