Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pests!

Posted by dooyensan 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 15:45

Hello. I've discovered some thrips nesting around my amaryllis. I was just wondering if anyone have had this problem and how you treated it.

I have looked around and found this product:

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page2108.html

Anyone used this before? I really want to get rid of the thrips, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pests!

Many of us use the Shultz 3-in-1 product. It's a miticide/insecticide/fungicide. Bet it would work for thrips! It's available nearly everywhere! Good luck.
Kristi

o
RE: Pests!

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 27, 09 at 11:49

I have never heard of this particular product, but let me warn you about flying insect killers...

If it's not specifically made for plants, you stand a big chance of killing the plants along with the insects!

Quite a few years ago, we had a huge fly population during one summer... and with three teens going in and out through the doors, and leaving them open, lots of flies gained entrance to our house.

Without thinking, or reading the label, I sprayed a flying insect killer throughout my house. Several hours later, ALL of my poor houseplants began to wilt! Yes, it killed the flies... but it also killed the majority of my beautiful plants!

It was completely my fault... I had neglected to read the entire label on the spray can!

I would recommend a spray that is designed specifically for plants. I use Schultz's 3-in-1 spray, myself. It's non-aerosol, and designed to kill mites, thrips, white flies, scale, and all those other little critters that attack plants. It's an insecticide/miticide/fungicide all in one.

If you can't find this product, look for one designed to kill thrips and other insects on ornamental plants or houseplants.

I hope this helps... I would steer clear of an aerosol made for flying insects, myself... and go for something made specifically for plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here