Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubose98

can u identify these amaryllis?

edubose98
11 years ago

Everyone that I got from wal-mart is mislabeled!

Comments (14)

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The one far left is suppose to be red lion, the small red bloomed one in a white pot is suppose to be Aphrodite, the pink bloomed one in a while pot is suppose to be pink diamond, and the one far right is suppose to be amigo.

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Closer pic

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Surprise, Surprise!!

Well, the picture is rather far away and sort of fuzzy but I might say the one on the far left is Amigo, the big pink might be Susan, and the diminutive red might be the same thing that I bought as Ferrari but of course is not..These are just guesses..

I bought 3 from WalMart the first was not Ferrari, the second two haven't bloomed yet but after seeing yours, I have little doubt that they will be correct.

Try to shoot some clearer face shots and maybe someone will be able to more positively ID them for you. They are pretty..and it is always nice to know what you've got..

The orange might be Naranja but again, just might...

Donna

11 years ago

OK...I'm thinking Amigo and Susan (pink)...

Go back to the post on not Ferrari and look at the pictures of the pedicels.. they are quite distinctive..see if yours match..there is a possibility this might be Carina..but then again just might...

Anyone else? If they're healthy and you didn't already have these varieties than maybe it's not so bad afterall..this happens to all of us and continues to happen as long as we buy bulbs from the big box store. And we all continue to do so don't we?!

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is suppose to be Aphrodite

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have u ever seen such a little bloom...its cute but is far from being Aphrodite. It measures about two and half inches. Not sure what that could be.

11 years ago

Like I mentioned above I think you bought the same thing that I bourht for Ferrari. My flowers are 3" but they look a little better formed than yours do but I'm sure they're the same.My bulb most likely is less stressed than yours. Yours also has the same attractive dark colored scapes too. There is a possibility that this is Carina but no possitive ID has been made. I'm still calling mine not Ferrari...

here is mine

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes donna! They have to be the same....I have a ferarri but it is just now sending a bloom stake up.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I have been officially boycotting Walmart and the big box stores for this, and other reasons. The only way we'll ever regain the quality in products we once enjoyed is to demand that quality by refusing to buy junk.

"Carina" is listed as a red "miniature" on Emaryllis... as is "Little Devil", a Hadeco variety.

It's cute and sweet, and appears a prolific bloomer. A keeper?

Here is a link that might be useful: Emaryllis - Library

11 years ago

Well, I'm quite pleased with my not Ferrari actually. The scape is short, only 10" and a dark wine color that fades to a chocolate wine color. Both scapes have 6 flowers. I think that another year on a happy bulb this will be very pretty. One more think about this small red when the flowers have been totally our for a few days there is a faint fragrance...smell yours and see. I just sniffed this second scapes flowers and only a slight aroma but a couple of the flowers on the first scape were quite noticeably fragrant..of course, you have to stick your nose right in:-)

Oh Oh, did you get your Ferrari at WalMarts too? If so, I'd expect another small red. What are the chances anyway of both Ferrari and Aphrodite being substituted by the same small red?

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah I got ferrari at wal-mart too! Yeah there is a fragrance in the little small blooms:) I have to wipe the tip of my nose cause its glowing with yellow pollen! Lol I am pleased with the little thing! I definitely didn't have one like it! But I will be very upset once all the amaryllis that I have bought from all these other companies start blooming and they are not what they are suppose to be!

11 years ago

I don't think as many of the others you ordered from on-line nurseries will be mislabeled. Of course some will, like my La Paz that turned out to be a gorgeous Tango.. you see.. mislabels can be very rewarding and most times it spices things up a bit! Makes life a bit more interesting, then you can post it on the forum and ask what it might be? Fun huh?

Of course one year there was run on Susan and some people ended up with several. Susan is nice but one is enough..the same went for Lady Jane a while back. Lady Jane is nice and maybe 2 in a collection is nice. Who knows maybe Amigo will be the one this year. I still have two more from WalMart that haven't bloomed maybe I'll end up with an Amigo.. I rather hope I do!

I do know that not everyone agrees with me about mislabels, some people get really upset so, once again, this is just MY opinion....not to be taken too seriously!

Donna

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I have ended up with 2 amigos, Susan, carina, and a red-orange one so far. They were suppose to be red lion, Minerva, pink diamond, and Aphrodite. I kinda wanted the pink diamond and Aphrodite since I don't have those and I didn't buy any more of those this year. But who know what I will get from the ones I bought at lowes and home depot. Lol

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Lady Jane was a wonderful bloomer for me several years ago! A strong variety, capable of making an excellent comeback season to season. I'd consider it a must have!

Sometimes, mislabels can be wonderful surprises!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions