Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macroclemys

I think this is the REAL pixie

macroclemys
10 years ago

I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, but I think this is the real pixie. The coloration looks right, the petals are narrow and starting to look frilly around the edges. I will upload other photos when it opens.

Comments (40)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Did you look at the description for Trentino on the Hadeco site?
    Colour:
    Cream with a soft red border
    Image from site attached.

Pixie was yellow as I recall.....
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Well whatever it is and it does look like Trentino, it's certainly better than just a small plain white! And you've got 4 flowers! Mine are just up about 1" so how did you get yours to bloom so fast? Be sure to post pictures when it is fully open; we can't wait to see it.

Donna

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristi, you are dashing my hopes. Darn. I should have noticed the resemblance since my Trentino just finished blooming. And the worst of it, I found Trentino to be one of the most drab of the Hippeastrums I have. Other than having a high bud count (7 on the first scape) I was not very impressed by it. But I am not yet giving up hope on the Pixie!

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna,
    I think I would rather a small plain white. The Molto Belo I ordered last year did not bloom. I am hoping it blooms this year, but it did not produce many leaves this summer, so I am doubtful.

10 years ago

But just think of the possible crosses to produce many small blooms per scape!!

Just giving you a reality check. Prove me wrong... Please!
    K

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trentino it is. A disappointment after getting my hopes up, but since I have another of these, at least now I can risk one by leaving it in the ground all winter next year to test its hardiness. Meanwhile, I hope my other "Pixie" turns out to be something different.

10 years ago

I think it's pretty, but not H. Pixie. Guess we'll have to wait a little longer for that one. At least it really is H. Trentino and not just some small white!
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

My Not Pixie buds are out! No pink picotee like yours so I guess they will be white. I was kinda wishing they'd be Trentinos likewise as white is not my favorite Hippie color. Will see what these white sonatinis can offer us...

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Whoa! Those flower stalks sure are tall for a mini! Unfortunately my "Pixie Bust" didn't have a flower stalk. It decided to work on leaves.

{{gwi:435675}}

Really am curious to see what everyone else's are like.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I got 5 of them and only one did not put out a scape. Here are the buds today. Will post a pic once they open.

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My second one is at about the same stage as yours and looks to have about the same coloration. I really like white blooms when they are a nice, crisp white. My first Trentino (not the one bought as Pixie) was more of a dull cream color with barely a hint of pink. But I have to admit that I came to like Trentino more the second time. I am looking forward to seeing what you get.

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Two of my three 'not pixie' bulbs bloomed white with a green throat (third grew leaves). Maybe Baby Doll? I actually like this one especially as it puts out a nice display with the three small/tiny bulbs in one pot. The pristine white lets me put it in any color pot and the small size takes up little space - I hope this one stays small. Funny how things work out as I would not have bought this one but I'm glad I have it.
    -J

10 years ago

I did read last night that the sonatinis grow extra long scapes as they are really grown for cut flowers. Mine is growing at least 2" a day!

Also, they save all sorts of money on shipping such small bulbs. They grow them 45-60 bulbs / m^2. WOW!!!
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I used to love the sonatinis, both Hadeco and the Dutch ones. I practically bought every single variety available then. They would perform well for me upon planting and give out 2/3 scapes from those tiny bulbs. After that is another story though. Some of them would not root out or leaf out well for me in the first growing season. Second growing season, a lot of them would go to Hippie heaven already. Perhaps it's my too cold and long winter growing conditions. Anyone of you grown and consistently bloomed these sonatinis for several seasons already? I would appreciate some tips if ever. Several of the Komoriya varieties also have tiny bulbs and flowers like these sonatinis. I would hate to see them go to Hippie heaven likewise.

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maria,
    Next time you have a poorly rooted bulb that is flowering and shriveling, try this. If you can get a syringe and needle, inject some water or a weak nutrient solution into the scape. I started doing this last year with my bulbs that were in poor shape and sometimes with healthy bulbs as well. A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a sonatini (Ballerina) that arrived will a circumference of 16 cm, but shriveled to less than 11 cm during flowering. Since then, I injected the scapes with some water and it quickly plumped up to more than 13 cm. It was too quick to be true growth, so it must have been rehydration of the bulb scales.
    If you are attempting to obtain seed from the flowers, I recommend injecting only a small amount of water at a time (maybe 1 ml). If you fill the scape with a lot of water, it can go mushy before the seeds mature. If you add a little at a time, you can use the same injection hole each time.
    The plant certainly takes up water this way if the scape is still green, but I cannot be certain that any of the nutrients are taken up. They probably are, in the same way that leaves can take up nutrients during foliar feeding. With foliar feeding, the water-impermeable cuticle is the main obstacle to nutrient uptake. But the inside of the scape has no cuticle, and the cells that line its inner surface should have direct access to the solution.
    I did this with three sonatini last year. Since then Grafitti and Hot lips grew a lot. I didn't measure the bulbs, but Hot Lips has probably doubled in circumference (and it had 12 leaves in August). Molto Belo was in the worse shape (the scape extended, but the flowers never opened). It has grown only a small amount, but is otherwise very healthy and has produced at least one offset.
    GIve it a try sometime when you have a poorly rooted bulb. If you doubt that the plant would recover without some kind of intervention, then you don't have anything to lose.

Bill

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Wow Bill - thanks for this info - would never have thought to do this. I have wondered if these small bulbs need to be fed more heavily as they don't have the storage capacity of the large bulbs and yet they push out flowers. If this method would help them stop shrinking until they get a decent root system that would be great.
    Thanks again for sharing with all of us.
    -J

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just checked my records from last year, and I did measure two of the bulbs. Both Grafitti and Hot Lips had circumferences of 14-15 cm. I remeasured them just now and Hot Lips is at 26 cm and Grafitti is 21 cm. I am not sure why I did not measure Molto Belo last year, but I recall it was about the same size as the other two. It now is 17 cm. I am hooked on these little bulbs, but it is too early to see if I can get them to produce as many scapes as Hadeco does. According to their page, these sizes should produce at least 2 scapes each.

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My second not-Pixie also turned out to be Trentino. Darn. Maria, what did you get?

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Thanks for that tip Bill. I just might try it with these Pixie Nots! The first flower of my Pixie Nots is now in horizontal position so it should be opening up soon. They are definitely Trentino Nots likewise! LOL

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

Anybody else have theirs bloom? Mine is just starting to open up and I think it will be pure white. I'll post a picture later.

10 years ago

No signs of a picotee edge on mine.....
    K

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After taking a closer look at mine, I see that my second one is probably not Trentino. It looks a lot like Baby Doll, which has a more faint pink edge and deeper green throat.

10 years ago

I wonder what's wrong with mine? They seem to be stuck at this stage for the last few weeks?!!

Donna

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Am reposting this in here as my earlier post ended up in the Sweet Lillian thread. So strange!
    Here are my mislabeled Pixies...Baby Dolls for sure!
    {{gwi:435676}}

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

In the beginning I thought mine would be pure white, but looks like there is a faint pink line on the edge.
    {{gwi:435677}}

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

Ok, this is mine. The quality is bad though. Is it also a Baby Doll?
    {{gwi:435678}}

10 years ago

I'm guessing H. Trentino due to the edging!
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Hope this helps...

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that certainly helps me. I was uncertain because Baby Doll also has a faint pink edge. It now seems certain that I have one of each.

10 years ago

Well dang!!! My blooms didn't have any sort of faint pink edge... They were just white with a green throat. Mine looked just like Maria's, which she had labeled as H. Baby Doll. Maria, did your H. Baby Doll blooms also have a pink edge?
    Hmmmm! Just went to the Hadeco site, and you really have to look hard to see any pink! My blooms have faded so I've missed the chance to look any closer!
    Kristi

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

Here's my old trentino (not one of our pixie bulbs)

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

and my old Baby Doll.

My pixie were Baby Doll too

10 years ago

Maybe because mine were continually backlit in the GH window, I just didn't notice any pink. Hurumph.
    K

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

Thank you, Maria! If judging by the flower shape - mine is baby doll...
    Rimma

10 years ago

Rimma, good point!! Shape-based analysis would suggest mine were as well.
    K

10 years ago

Well, no analysis possible on mine, I think they're crapping out! They ain't a growin!

10 years ago

Wonder why yours are in a holding pattern??

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

Maybe it's a bad piece of advice, Donna, but I had the same problem with mine.... Until I accidentally overwatered them. The water was warm and the plants were inside right by the window in a sunny place.

10 years ago

Well, maybe you're right Rimma; I haven't been watering them as I don't think they've got any roots( I actually haven't checked lately,) What do I have to loose? Actually they are on top of a TV (one of the old fashioned ones that some you you have probably never seen) where it is warm. Maybe they do need a drink!

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Wow, Donna.That is extremely bizarre that they haven't moved an inch since! I wonder what's affecting two bulbs.... hopefully the watering does the trick.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022